All that work for nothing.. 07/19/2015 01:53 PM CDT
When asking for work society leaders don't tell you when the tier is about to advance..

I made about 40 toe rings to sell to Talia because she asked for them, during the course of which I managed to obtain 1 rank in Engineering. When I went back to Talia asking her for easy shaping work, none of the things she had asked a rank before were being asked for anymore.. ;/ Even though I just got the Shaping Acumen skill as well, roundtimes don't seem to have decreased while shaping wood either..
Re: All that work for nothing.. 07/19/2015 04:06 PM CDT

>> I made about 40 toe rings to sell to Talia because she asked for them, during the course of which I managed to obtain 1 rank in Engineering. When I went back to Talia asking her for easy shaping work, none of the things she had asked a rank before were being asked for anymore.. ;/ Even though I just got the Shaping Acumen skill as well, roundtimes don't seem to have decreased while shaping wood either..

Err.... the whole point of work orders is to ask for the job FIRST. You are just asking for trouble if you make a bunch of items THEN ask for a job.

And for the record I've made 100000000 of items to train up forging/engineering and just dump them on the ground. You got something for your work, experience.

>> Shaping Acumen

Since crafting roundtimes have a great variance, it can be difficult to see if Acumen is working. I would keep testing it for awhile.
Re: All that work for nothing.. 07/19/2015 04:18 PM CDT
>Err.... the whole point of work orders is to ask for the job FIRST. You are just asking for trouble if you make a bunch of items THEN ask for a job.

Not totally true, there is nothing wrong with making the items first and getting the work order second, you just run the risk of the exact thing happening that the OP is talking about. The only time where you will not have to encounter the tier bump is when you're already at the final items in the book. When you've reached that point, you can safely know that you'll have a solid chance for the Society Master to request that work because it's the hardest.

You say to Tathalus, "Have you ever tried to clean a troll den? The smell sticks around for years to come."
Liev says, "That is my cue to leave."
Re: All that work for nothing.. 07/19/2015 04:42 PM CDT

>I made about 40 toe rings to sell to Talia because she asked for them

You might of missed that part, but i was saying that I asked for a work order until it landed on toe rings. At that point I decided to do some ahead of time work to sell them all to her. By then the timer had run out though, and the rank had advanced.
Re: All that work for nothing.. 07/19/2015 04:55 PM CDT
I would suggest not making more than one work order's worth of items with low ranks. The ranges are fairly small and it doesn't take many ranks before you move up a tier.

Try asking for Challenging work orders also. The toe ring may be in there.
Re: All that work for nothing.. 07/19/2015 05:10 PM CDT

Toe rings were bottom of the rung. I don't think they are coming back. Some items that were being asked for in challenging have moved into easy.
Re: All that work for nothing.. 07/19/2015 05:25 PM CDT
If I knew how to wiki, I'd move this chart to the main crafting page or have an obvious link for ease. Chart gives approx. rank when you move up a tier crafting wise. If you are on the fence and have a ton of something made go turn in based on this. Anyone able to put this in on crafting main page or something so people see and use it more?

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Work_Orders

[20:11] Chatter[Arathael] Usually only get skill when it's successful.
[20:13] Chatter[Morpion] Thats why Arathael has 0.00 ranks in Getting Girls
[20:14] Chatter[Arathael] =(
Re: All that work for nothing.. 07/19/2015 05:43 PM CDT
>https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Crafting#Difficulty

?

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: All that work for nothing.. 07/19/2015 10:43 PM CDT
>>Toe rings were bottom of the rung. I don't think they are coming back. Some items that were being asked for in challenging have moved into easy.

If you are going to front load your crafting, I recommend avoiding items you know are "bottom of the rung".
Re: All that work for nothing.. 07/20/2015 07:01 PM CDT
I handle work orders the same way, make my items and then ask for the work orders to turn them in.
I usually don't let 40 accumulate, but I have gotten around half that a few times. Early on I ran into the same issue where I had 10 sets of leathers ready to go when I moved beyond the skill they asked for it.
So it isn't a total waste, if you are asking for hard work orders and the crafting person no longer asks for it, you can ask for challenging work orders a couple of times and it will most likely be in that pool of items.

After that experience, I keep an eye on the difficulty of the items the crafting person asks me to make and try to move up to the next tier well before they stop asking me for the one I am on.