Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 06/17/2014 06:20 PM CDT
>>DR-Persida: As of this time, it is in fact the rule, and GMs doing the alterations are not allowed to break it. It is simply not something at their discretion.

Does the design have to include the mark as it is originally described, or can it be changed as long as it includes the elements of the mark? For example, if the original mark is, "You see the initials 'C. M.' impressed into the surface of the metal," could the design be written as something like, "The initials 'C. M.' are engraved along the blade"?

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 06/17/2014 06:27 PM CDT
If you're completely changing the cosmetics of the item it pretty much stopped being the product that was churned out by the forging system by a PC in every way except for the appraisal values. A maker's mark signifies whose product it is. At that point it really isn't a PC crafter's product. It's a product of NPC artisans and the player(s) or alterer who designed it.

Even though this blade started out life as a plain old forged kertig parang...

This:
a sickle-bladed parang with a khor'vela hilt

Delicate yellow enameled khor'vela blossoms are inlaid in a cascading pattern down the flat of the sharply curved silver-black blade. The severe drop point has a beveled spine to enhance the deadly slicing edge without compromising strength. A simple finger quillon slopes into the hilt of deeply polished khor'vela wood, emphasizing the luster of fine grey woodgrain that is peppered with undigested crystallized bone. The initials "C. M." are impressed into the surface of the metal.

Is not the same product as this:
a kertig parang
The initials "C. M." are impressed into the surface of the metal.

And the mark shouldn't be required in the alteration or count towards the character limit imo.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 06/17/2014 06:48 PM CDT
>>Does the design have to include the mark as it is originally described, or can it be changed as long as it includes the elements of the mark? For example, if the original mark is, "You see the initials 'C. M.' impressed into the surface of the metal," could the design be written as something like, "The initials 'C. M.' are engraved along the blade"?

>>I've never tried to get a marked item altered before. Does it have to have that "You see the initials "whoever" impressed into the surface of the metal." line at the end? Is incorporating the initials into the item's description not allowed?

>>Any similar questions

You do NOT have to keep the exact wording "You see the initials 'C. M.' impressed into the surface of the metal". You can change it to something similar as long as the mark and initials remains on the item.

Examples:
"The initials 'C.M.' adorn the hilt"
"The initials 'C.M.' are pressed onto the pommel"
"The blade's maker's mark bears the initials 'C.M'."

-Persida
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 06/17/2014 06:53 PM CDT
<Does the design have to include the mark as it is originally described, or can it be changed as long as it includes the elements of the mark? For example, if the original mark is, "You see the initials 'C. M.' impressed into the surface of the metal," could the design be written as something like, "The initials 'C. M.' are engraved along the blade"?>

Though at the discretion of the alter, the way the mark is described can be altered as long as it contains the initials.

<The initials "C. M." are impressed into the surface of the metal.

And the mark shouldn't be required in the alteration or count towards the character limit imo.>

The character limit on looks is a system limit not a rule we set. We actually cannot make it longer. It gets cut off.

~FGM Kaarina~
Wedding Lead

https://sites.google.com/site/dragonrealmsweddings/Home
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 06/17/2014 06:58 PM CDT
<<And the mark shouldn't be required in the alteration or count towards the character limit imo.>

<<The character limit on looks is a system limit not a rule we set. We actually cannot make it longer. It gets cut off.

Yet another reason why this rule needs revisiting.
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 06/17/2014 07:27 PM CDT
>>If you're completely changing the cosmetics of the item it pretty much stopped being the product that was churned out by the forging system by a PC in every way except for the appraisal values.

I think this is part of the issue with non-scroll alterations being IC or OOC. Because, IMO, for most situations the item is still the item it always was when it gets altered. It just gets prettied up.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 06/17/2014 08:43 PM CDT
<<Plus, I dunno, when you have a big long fancy look on something, then two big bold letters just stamped on at the bottom, it's always struck me as a bit tacky and somewhat detracts from the overall design in general.

Two more cents added. Back when makers marks were really cool, I liked being able to make sure they were in the alteration. Initials are rather lame.

Glad I got my crafted stuff altered before this rule.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 06/17/2014 09:04 PM CDT
>>Flint-Tipped: If you're completely changing the cosmetics of the item it pretty much stopped being the product that was churned out by the forging system by a PC in every way except for the appraisal values. A maker's mark signifies whose product it is. At that point it really isn't a PC crafter's product. It's a product of NPC artisans and the player(s) or alterer who designed it.

This is my view as well. We call it an alteration, but often it feels like the merchant is creating a new item out of the materials you provide or based on a design that you provide. (I know I've participated in sessions where the messaging showed the merchant sewing a brand new garment out of raw materials.) If it's worded acceptably, sometimes the alteration design even alludes to the source or age of an item in a way that is inconsistent with the actual origin of the source item. (This is where Teveshszat's comments about the OOC/IC nature of alterations come into play.)

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 06/17/2014 09:52 PM CDT
Whether you agree with the rule or not, it's easy enough to get stuff without it being marked, thus circumventing the entire problem. I've made stuff and not marked it because someone told me they wanted to alter it someday and it was no big deal.

I personally disagree that this should be the rule for the reasons mentioned above, but at the moment it is, and there's an easy enough workaround.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 06/17/2014 11:47 PM CDT
I embellish Squanto's initials because he is fabulous and I love his big pink face. For example, on my thrusting blade, it ends with "Seeming somewhat out of place, the initials "S.L." have been engraved inside the guard, punctuated with a pair of pink sapphires."

<3 you big guy!
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 06/18/2014 05:49 AM CDT
Pink sapphires and thrusting blades. Nothing out of place there.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 06/18/2014 11:23 AM CDT
I thought Squanto's mark just came with the pink gems in it.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 06/18/2014 01:44 PM CDT

It really should be automatic pink sapphires in everything he does, but alas. Had to do it myself.
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 06/18/2014 07:49 PM CDT
I really wish more advanced maker's marks would come out. Also, I once asked a GM on an assist to put initials back on my gear, because the alterer left it off on accident. I like to pay homage to my crafting buddies. I miss you, original Zozuskar. Your magnificence and beauty shall endure for eternity (for as long as the servers allow) on my armor.

Furthermore, <3 you, Sendi. 4eva.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 06/22/2014 10:00 AM CDT

>what's the issue with leaving the mark information in?

For me, RP wise it completely defeats the purpose of getting an alteration.

It makes it look like the craftsman/woman did the alteration themselves, and sours the time and effort it takes to get the alteration done.

Also, there's already so much push back when it comes to alterations... many times I've spent days or weeks to come up with ideas only to go through the process and come back with something 100% different than what I actually wanted.

This is just another layer of that.

That said, I think the purchaser shouldn't be able to just willy nilly remove the marks either.

I like the idea of allowing the original crafter to be able to remove or undo the mark themselves.
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 06/22/2014 10:09 AM CDT
I think, after I purchase an item, I should be free to remove the stamp or keep it. It's mine. DR doesn't use VIN or anything insane, so the entire point to keeping it is nothing but an ego stroke to crafters, and a completely and utterly pointless one, since analyze and appraise will tell anyone with a few ranks in the skills what the weapon is made of and the overall quality. Beyond that, name is meaningless.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 08/27/2014 09:23 PM CDT
I was alerted to it at the time over emails, but am often too busy and just happened across this thread tonight....

Every game has its history and the reason for why things happen. I personally found it very interesting to know that a crafted item would forever have some indication of who originally made it. Slowly gaining in skill until I could afford crafted goods - and later, marked goods was quite exciting. You got to know who the good crafters were and sought them out. There were also several incidents where marking-fraud that will infamously live on in DR history...

I could come up with a dozen IC explanations for why marked items should forever carry some representation of the mark and who crafted it. However, IC reasons - even good ones - mean nothing to some players.

I'm going to propose a craftable Alchemy acid wash that can allow a crafter to remove his or her own maker's marks from items. This will only work on unaltered items, but will forever erase any trace of who crafted it. That should resolve the issue without requiring GM involvement, right?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 08/27/2014 09:27 PM CDT
>I'm going to propose a craftable Alchemy acid wash that can allow a crafter to remove his or her own maker's marks from items. This will only work on unaltered items, but will forever erase any trace of who crafted it. That should resolve the issue without requiring GM involvement, right?

Yes. And I think it's a great idea too.

You skillfully remove the vanilla cheesecake from your abdomen leaving the wound no worse than it was before.
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 08/28/2014 01:36 AM CDT
Fantastic idea :)

I'm a little sad that my altered items cannot get this treatment, but that is life. Thanks for the response and solution.
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 08/28/2014 02:13 AM CDT
I think it is kinda sad that maker marks would be removed from items. And in RL it would drastically reduce the value. Maybe make it so it lowers some of the stats when you do it? lol

I have to say I would rather time be spent on implementing advanced maker marks rather than removing maker marks.
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 08/28/2014 07:19 AM CDT
>I think it is kinda sad that maker marks would be removed from items. And in RL it would drastically reduce the value. Maybe make it so it lowers some of the stats when you do it? lol

1) No.

2) Real life items which are valued based on maker are typically not prized for function (regardless of whether they might have been at one point in time or not), so the argument is more logically if you stamp it, it should raise the appraisal value and lower the stats because it's now a 'display' piece.

3) No. Just no.

Re: Alterations and maker's marks 08/28/2014 07:31 AM CDT
1. Of course they aren't going to do it. The crying would be worse than the crying asking to remove maker marks.

2. Sorry. Not true at all. An easy example are Katanas. They even apply to the game. They are both prized for function and beauty. And the maker is important to the value and quality of both. Weapons in general if they can be tied to a serial number (with guns) or a maker.. add a lot of value to items. Watch Pawn Stars for some more easy examples ;) If someone removed the maker's mark, it would drastically lower the value of the item.

3. I like your compromise though. If the maker mark is removed, it should drop the value by 10%, and since you are using acid on the weapon, at a minimum the durability of the item should be lowered a tiny bit. Good call!
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 08/28/2014 07:46 AM CDT
<<3. I like your compromise though. If the maker mark is removed, it should drop the value by 10%, and since you are using acid on the weapon, at a minimum the durability of the item should be lowered a tiny bit. Good call!

You do realize that all this will do is make a crafter far less likely to mark anything except throw away stuff for prestige farming? More so the rarer the material gets.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 08/28/2014 10:45 AM CDT
>Sorry. Not true at all. An easy example are Katanas. They even apply to the game. They are both prized for function and beauty. And the maker is important to the value and quality of both. Weapons in general if they can be tied to a serial number (with guns) or a maker.. add a lot of value to items. Watch Pawn Stars for some more easy examples ;) If someone removed the maker's mark, it would drastically lower the value of the item.

I suggest you reread my point, since you just restated it for me.

Re: Alterations and maker's marks 08/28/2014 10:59 AM CDT
>>You do realize that all this will do is make a crafter far less likely to mark anything except throw away stuff for prestige farming? More so the rarer the material gets.

I will continue to mark every piece I make, as I do before regardless of the availability of some other device to remove such. That said, I'm perfectly willing to leave the mark off if I can be made to feel so inclined.

Samsaren
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 08/28/2014 11:34 AM CDT
I don't see why the need for debate on this. If the maker is okay with removing their own mark from an item, then that's good enough. I don't see the reason why you would need to give the item any sort of penalty from removing a mark, because having an item marked doesn't provide any sort of bonus at all. It's purely cosmetic and for bragging rights.

Obviously, not just any average Joe could remove a mark. It would be tied to whomever put that mark on there. And, truthfully, if Masamune or Muramasa wanted their name removed from a sword; Nobody would argue with them.

>If someone removed the maker's mark, it would drastically lower the value of the item.

Player-crafted items in DR do not increase in value depending on who makes them. They are valued according to what materials were used in the making. Thus, the marker's mark has no direct influence on the worth of the item at all.

You skillfully remove the vanilla cheesecake from your abdomen leaving the wound no worse than it was before.
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 08/28/2014 12:16 PM CDT
<<I will continue to mark every piece I make, as I do before regardless of the availability of some other device to remove such. That said, I'm perfectly willing to leave the mark off if I can be made to feel so inclined.

It's not the availability of some device to remove a mark, it is the addition of a penalty to the item's stats when removing a mark that will make it less likely for someone to mark a weapon in the first place. Given two identical weapons, one with a maker's mark and one without, the one with a mark is inferior because the unmarked weapon will never be able to have its stats reduced. A buyer has more incentive to buy the unmarked one, and so the price of marked weapons will end up being lower than unmarked ones and the market will tend towards stocking unmarked weapons as opposed to marked ones.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to disallow removal of marks - I actually don't have an opinion on that topic either way - but attaching a penalty to mark removal essentially also attaches that same penalty to marking in the first place and isn't the best way to go about providing an incentive to mark a weapon. Much better options that do not devalue a mark can be thought up, I'm sure.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 08/28/2014 04:48 PM CDT
>>DR-Kodius: I'm going to propose a craftable Alchemy acid wash that can allow a crafter to remove his or her own maker's marks from items. This will only work on unaltered items, but will forever erase any trace of who crafted it.

That sounds good.

>>Shawn255: And in RL it would drastically reduce the value. Maybe make it so it lowers some of the stats when you do it? lol

Even if we assumed, for the sake of argument, that two identical swords would have different appraisal values based solely on their origin, it doesn't follow that merely removing the maker's mark would affect the mechanical function of the item.

However, real-world analogies don't really apply to this situation, because as Hexedbythenet pointed out, player-made items are valued according to their materials and stats. Once they have the skill to cap an item, two crafters using the same materials and methods will produce mechanically identical items. (You might seek out a particular crafter for his knowledge and advice, but once the item is made, the majority of players don't care who made it.)

Re: Alterations and maker's marks 08/28/2014 05:36 PM CDT
I would be very much in favor of this. I prefer to have my mark on it, but more than once I've agreed to leave it off and forgotten by the time I made it. Annoying to have to reforge it.

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 08/29/2014 07:48 AM CDT
>>I think it is kinda sad that maker marks would be removed from items. And in RL it would drastically reduce the value. Maybe make it so it lowers some of the stats when you do it? lol

The mark would only be removable by the individual who crafted it. It is designed to fix oopsies so we're not losing GM resources across the board supporting these efforts.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 08/29/2014 08:28 AM CDT
I think the acid wash is a cool idea provided it's only usable by the crafter. I'm a huge fan of maker's marks, as they give a small amount of credit where credit is due in regards to these awesome items that everyone has to have. I don't think a few initials on the look of an item is an unfair price to pay to have something that, without the crafter, you wouldn't see outside of quest runs. To those who say it seems unnecessary, I recommend spending months to years making ingots and completing work orders so that you can acquire the skill to make the items yourself so that you have those few extra character spaces to add that extra gem in your alteration.

>>I like to pay homage to my crafting buddies.

You see the initials "S. L." impressed into the surface of the metal.
You see the initials "S. R." impressed into the surface of the metal.
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 08/29/2014 01:30 PM CDT
I was wondering about being able to have the mark somewhere other than the look, such as when analyzing it.. but I guess the look is probably the best place except for in the alteration scenario.

Somewhere in the thread someone mentioned that you can always tell if it was something you made by analyzing it, which gave me an idea.

Could there be a way, whether an item is marked or not, that you can determine who made an item by analyzing it?
I could see two factors in the success of this happening. Your skill in the craft used in making the item, and the prestige of the person who made the item. Maybe a minimal amount of prestige would be needed.
If you are really skilled at outfitting, you might be able to recognize the work of most other outfitters that have at least some small amount of prestige.
Even if you have no skill at outfitting, you might be able to recognize the work of some of the most prestigious outfitters in the land.

Not sure that this helps the part helps the particular issue of alterations. I like the idea of acid wash being used by the crafter to remove their own mark too.
This is more of a way to allow someone to recognize your work even without a mark, for those that want it.. and another possible use for prestige.
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 08/29/2014 06:45 PM CDT
>I was wondering about being able to have the mark somewhere other than the look

Depending on the alterer, it's possible to get the mark fancied up, or even moved to the READ.

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Alterations and maker's marks 08/30/2014 09:06 AM CDT
I'm a fan of working it into the alteration myself:
You tap a broad-bladed haralun robe sword with silver inlay that you are holding.
>
Battleworn, yet showing indication of having been lovingly cared for, the blade bears several nicks and scratches, the telltale signs of heavy use despite expert maintenance. Just below the hilt, an ox and a rampant lion, the symbols of Truffeyni and Chadatru, have been shadow-etched into the murky black haralun blade. Carefully engraved into the cross guard, the initials "S.L." are inlaid with crushed pink sapphires.

Samsaren
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page