Re: Planned First Trip to Throne City 05/09/2009 01:09 PM CDT
>>Just wanted to know if anything sold in TC might be worth picking up, especially when it comes to enchanting later.

There is(sigil books), but if you can't pass the test, you're no where near ready for the books.

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Re: Planned First Trip to Throne City 05/09/2009 01:11 PM CDT
>My next question is this: I'm a moon mage heading there to pick up one or two spell slots. Is there anything else in TC that as a moon mage I might want to do or pick up?

If you're a moon mage you do not need to take the barge. The barge to Throne City is rarely availalbe and extremely long. I also never took that way as a moon mage so I'm not sure if the mirage that blocks obvious paths applies (although you can still easily get through that with maps, it may be very confusing for some and intimidating for first timers)

As a moon mage, just ask for a Langenfirth gate on the gweths then walk up to the G-wachimicallit College in Therenborough. There's a turlte there which you can turn to point to a sapphire if Xibar is up, ruby for Yavash, or obsidian for Katamba. FOCUS on the turtle and walk through the moongate. You'll be in TC.

"When I grow up, I want to be a soulless monster trapped in a suit of enchanted armor and compelled into violent service for a commercial institution through torturous psychic conditioning." -- Armifer
Re: Planned First Trip to Throne City 05/09/2009 01:19 PM CDT
I'm actually on the return trip back from TC, just waiting on the barge now. Picked up two shiny new spell slots.
Re: Planned First Trip to Throne City 05/09/2009 01:27 PM CDT
>>I'm actually on the return trip back from TC, just waiting on the barge now. Picked up two shiny new spell slots.

><

Cute verbs and speaking from hiding are excellent ways to catch a lightning bolt in the face regardless of mystical ninja abilities.

-Armifer
Re: Planned First Trip to Throne City 05/09/2009 01:45 PM CDT
PS: Thanks for all the help! ;)
Re: Planned First Trip to Throne City 05/09/2009 04:22 PM CDT
<<Is there anything else in TC that as a moon mage I might want to do or pick up?

If you haven't done any of the quests there yet, then there's nothing much you can currently make use of that can't be had elsewhere.

There is, however, a ton of moon mage lore. If that's your thing spend some time exploring.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386AV.
Re: Planned First Trip to Throne City 05/09/2009 05:23 PM CDT
before you focus on the turtle, LOOK at it to make sure its pointed in the direction of a moon that is up.if not, TURN turtle so that its pointed to either the obsidian <katamba>, ruby <yavash> or sapphire <xibar>.

to get to turtle from theren bank:
move s
move out
move ne
move n
move ne
move go arch
move nw
move nw
move nw
move e
move e
move go door
move n
move climb stair
move go arch

It's a number, it gets bigger. That's the whole DR experience right there
Throne City Developments 07/11/2009 07:07 PM CDT
So... been a few years since I poked someone about this...

Any plans to develop Throne City further?

Still lots of places to expand there...

While housing was (Finally) added it's Tezzie only or horribly run down (Mahkra Alley). I recall (And might be misrecalling...) years ago Rigby saying he was working on housing over the bridge... but there's still just this sign:

[Old Throne City, Shakoepi Bridge]
Not far to the east, the elegant spires and massive columned homes of the Arcadius residential sector rise skyward in all their exotic and rich splendor. These buildings are cordoned off by a long high wall of stone, leaving Shakoepi Bridge the only access into the sector. Below, the waters of the Faldesu inlet gurgle and splash around the remains of one of the ancient Imperial Navy's ship hulls. You also see a prominent wooden sign.
Obvious paths: west.

A prominent wooden sign reads:
"The Arcadius Sector has been closed to the public in memoriam of the deaths of the Council of Moon Mages. Once the troubled times that hinder the Guild have passed, the island shall be reopened."

Well... didn't those events wrap up nearly a decade ago now? Any hope of Arcadius Sector ever opening?
Re: Throne City Developments 07/13/2009 12:35 AM CDT
>>While housing was (Finally) added it's Tezzie only or horribly run down (Mahkra Alley)

This!

If I could get my hands on a nice little house in a neighborhood with the Throne city 'gothic' feel to it I would very, very seriously consider going premium just to get it.

>>I recall (And might be misrecalling...) years ago Rigby saying he was working on housing over the bridge...

This was Rigby's map and vision of a completed Throne:

http://www.kythsjournal.com/maps/misc/TC_Official.gif

Cydrik
---
I'd argue none of the current prediction tools are complex at all, merely written in Klingon. -- Armifer
Re: Throne City Developments 07/13/2009 12:58 AM CDT
I'm just here to say:

Wow that's a really nice looking map.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: Throne City Developments 07/13/2009 06:22 PM CDT
>Wow that's a really nice looking map.

"All too often... in the internet forums of today, self-important armchair warriors swagger and strut, safely removed from the possibility of having to defend their positions with anything more substantial than misspelled prose and tortured grammar."
Climbing in Throne City 01/06/2010 11:16 PM CST
I've explored around the area with a character a bit, but I've failed to find any areas that really teach it outside of combat areas, which kind of eliminates the climb practice command. Am I missing some spots? Suggestions? The character in the area has around 90 in the skill.
Re: Climbing in Throne City 01/06/2010 11:31 PM CST
train shield to outclass thugs then try climb practice? ;p

but yeah, i don't know of any other climbable places myself you might be out of luck if you must stay in TC, can't say its among the most friendly training areas.
Re: Climbing in Throne City 01/10/2010 12:00 PM CST
Climbing the ladders in the dome will teach to around 250. After that is thugs or the tree out in boars.

Yavus
Re: Climbing in Throne City 01/12/2010 06:22 PM CST
The ladders in the dome? In the library? Or am I missing an area? I see reference to ladders in the Imperial library, but you can only climb the staircase there.
Re: Climbing in Throne City 01/12/2010 06:27 PM CST
Ponthilas Observatory has ladders.

Rev. Reene

<Szrael> Should have just gone for gorbesh again
<Szrael> And released the pirate guild or something
<Szrael> Tote would be an okay pirate
Re: Climbing in Throne City 01/12/2010 08:16 PM CST
Thanks.
Throne City 05/17/2010 06:16 PM CDT
Just how dangerous are the collapsing floors in the ruins of Throne City? Is it too risky to go through? A trick to go through safely maybe?
Re: Throne City 05/17/2010 06:18 PM CDT
They appear to be totally random and killed a heavily overtrained 60th Thief (all stats but wisdom above 40) outright. I would guess it's purely RNG.

"I am well versed in being a Warrior Mage. Cast Thunderclap. Throw weapon. If miss, report the target for cheating."
Re: Throne City 05/17/2010 06:28 PM CDT
> They appear to be totally random and killed a heavily overtrained 60th Thief (all stats but wisdom above 40) outright. I would guess it's purely RNG.

RNG?

Killed a 60th thief? Sheesh, and the thugs at first glance don't look all that much more difficult then Lang's swamp trolls. Sounds to me like this area is a little.. too much, as far as the risky environment goes?
Re: Throne City 05/17/2010 06:32 PM CDT
Random Number Generator. I.E. random chance.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi, Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Throne City 05/17/2010 06:41 PM CDT
<<Sounds to me like this area is a little.. too much, as far as the risky environment goes?>>

All it means is your chances of dying are the same as anyone else's - you could probably pay someone to go for you, if you're that worried about dying. As long as you have three or more favors you can afford to die once without taking much of a loss. Just make sure you depart all so you don't lose your coins.

I personally would support a change to a stat-based contest and/or something less harsh than an instant kill, but even if any such modifications were approved the shop would almost certainly be gone by the time they were put in place.

It's just a death, nothing serious.

"I am well versed in being a Warrior Mage. Cast Thunderclap. Throw weapon. If miss, report the target for cheating."
Re: Throne City 05/17/2010 07:06 PM CDT
1) I take it few people actually hunt those thugs, given the stupid risks with the floor?

2) The shop is temp? I thought it was permanent.

3) How expensive are we talking, for the shop? Any chance of a price listing I guess would be out of the question, even if it could be emailed to me?
Re: Throne City 05/17/2010 07:27 PM CDT
What ever happened to the spirit of adventure and spontaneity? :-(

-- GM Tiesse

"Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys." -- The Plague
Re: Throne City 05/17/2010 07:28 PM CDT
[Script error: File not found: adventure.cmd]

-Dihm
Re: Throne City 05/17/2010 07:33 PM CDT
<<What ever happened to the spirit of adventure and spontaneity?>>

The floor collapsed beneath it resulting in a nasty fall. It now lies among the corpses of numerous eager Thieves and piles of plats left behind in hasty, reflexive Depart Items commands.

Re: Throne City 05/17/2010 07:34 PM CDT
Hee. I had lots of adventure and spontaneity while I was there Tiesse. I didn't fall through anything but ran into some thugs and those angishwhatchacallems.

Very nice stuff by the way and nice to see the other thing there too.
Re: Throne City 05/17/2010 07:34 PM CDT
>>The floor collapsed beneath it resulting in a nasty fall. It now lies among the corpses of numerous eager Thieves and piles of plats left behind in hasty, reflexive Depart Items commands.

THAT IS NOT AS FUNNY AS YOU THINK IT IS. :(

Vashir: one day I will devise a weapon fueled by the tears of warrior mages
Vashir: it'll be unstoppable

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcszxzpn_22g3mtzcv

http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Out_of_Character
Re: Throne City 05/17/2010 07:40 PM CDT
> What ever happened to the spirit of adventure and spontaneity? :-(

I'm not really against adventure, even spontaneity.. if it doesn't come at a potentially fatal cost. Even with depart all, I question the risk involved. Fair? Maybe, from a stand point that every needs to risk it, but even from that kind of fair, level ground, I find it a little sick torture.

I don't find it funny.
Re: Throne City 05/17/2010 07:49 PM CDT
<<I'm not really against adventure, even spontaneity.. if it doesn't come at a potentially fatal cost. Even with depart all, I question the risk involved. Fair? Maybe, from a stand point that every needs to risk it, but even from that kind of fair, level ground, I find it a little sick torture.>>

Relax, it's only death. I've had to deal with random deaths at the hands of the RNG in hunting for awhile now, which is much worse than a death suffered with no experience in your pools. I'm not saying it's a good mechanic, but given the quality of the shop I'd say the risk is definitely worth the reward.

Since you asked, you can expect to pay in plats, but it's not crazy-expensive. I've paid more for regular forged stuff.

Re: Throne City 05/17/2010 08:15 PM CDT
Ok, one remaining question: hunting those thugs. Do many actually hunt them, given the dangers?
Re: Throne City 05/17/2010 08:33 PM CDT
>I'm not really against adventure, even spontaneity.. if it doesn't come at a potentially fatal cost. Even with depart all, I question the risk involved. Fair? Maybe, from a stand point that every needs to risk it, but even from that kind of fair, level ground, I find it a little sick torture.

That's fine. I'm not picking on you at all. :)

I guess I just feel that sometimes people spend too much time asking questions and waiting idly by instead of just going out there and investigating on their own. Discovering new things has always been my favorite part of DragonRealms, so it makes me a little sad inside when people want to know all of the information up front all the time. The Thieves' Guild also has a fun history of secretive releases that allow the players to go figure things out, which is why it's obviously my favorite. Taking a chance is what's fun about this game for me; I can totally accept that it might not be the same for you. To me, the potential for having a great time finding something new and having an adventure with people I might not have met before is totally worth the risk of maybe dying a few times inadvertently. I mean, isn't that why people pay for quests? Although, to be honest, wacky death stories are often the most entertaining to retell in the future, so even then, it's not really a BAD thing.

Anyway, to more specifically address the issue: yes, the boobie trap in the floor is a feature of the area. No, it's not completely random, but I'm not going to go much more into it because that's for you guys to noodle out. Maybe Rigby was a bit sadistic in creating the floor trap, but I think it's very unique and a nice touch to what SHOULD be a dangerous, ruined area.

For a little background, I loved Throne City as a player and I still love it now. I want more people to see it because I think it's awesome and doesn't get the love it deserves. Perhaps I was a bit selfish with this release in wanting more people to experience the place, but that's fine with me. :) I also thought it was fair to put the shop in a dangerous spot because there is no level restriction on entrance. If a noob can survive the journey, the he should be rewarded with getting to purchase the items first hand. I think the personal adventure is a richer roleplaying experience in comparison with just asking a more experienced Thief to make the trip on one's behalf.

-- GM Tiesse

PS -- I know this isn't the olden days, but if I see people posting anything specific from the shop on the play.net forums, I will make sure the post is removed (even if it's just a price listing).

"Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys." -- The Plague
Re: Throne City 05/17/2010 08:37 PM CDT
Sorry for the double post, but...

>Ok, one remaining question: hunting those thugs. Do many actually hunt them, given the dangers?

I personally hunted them for months and months as a player and was very sad when they stopped teaching me adequately. Shield is pretty key, as are khri (if you're a bit low for them to start).

-- GM Tiesse

Re: Throne City 05/17/2010 08:48 PM CDT
Hey Tiesse, do you want the shop to stay off elanthipedia too?

Since the GMs have always been kind to us before, I don't think we'll end up crying too badly over it, if you do.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi, Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Throne City 05/17/2010 09:23 PM CDT
>Hey Tiesse, do you want the shop to stay off elanthipedia too?

Nah, it's fine if you add it, I'm just more concerned with these boards. At least that will be one more link for people to click! ;)

-- GM Tiesse

Re: Throne City 05/17/2010 10:10 PM CDT
The floor is definitely not totally random. Neither my thief nor my moon mage are prone to falling thorough it. However, they're both fairly well trained. I fell twice when I originally went with my moon mage at around 40th circle, although I didn't die. But now I can roam around there hunting and running laps up to Fade and back and not worry about falling. Maybe agi/ref or int/wis and a disarm or climbing check? What's the messaging when you fall?

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Throne City 05/17/2010 10:14 PM CDT
> Anyway, to more specifically address the issue: yes, the boobie trap in the floor is a feature of the area. No, it's not completely random, but I'm not going to go much more into it because that's for you guys to noodle out. Maybe Rigby was a bit sadistic in creating the floor trap, but I think it's very unique and a nice touch to what SHOULD be a dangerous, ruined area.

Again I have nothing against adventure. Shoot, I have nothing against some danger as long as I have a fair shot at surviving it. Death wouldn't be so bad if I had a chance to stand up, try to tend any bleeders I would get from it, try to make a run for some empathic help and in the end if I don't make it I drop dead? That's ok by me. But the instant death, even if it's only a chance? I don't think that's going to stop me from trying to hit the shop, but I do think the random instant death is a bit much. Aside from the shop I had looked at possibly hunting the thugs before, good thing this came up - I may not. I dunno.
Re: Throne City 05/17/2010 10:21 PM CDT
>Again I have nothing against adventure. Shoot, I have nothing against some danger as long as I have a fair shot at surviving it. Death wouldn't be so bad if I had a chance to stand up, try to tend any bleeders I would get from it, try to make a run for some empathic help and in the end if I don't make it I drop dead? That's ok by me. But the instant death, even if it's only a chance? I don't think that's going to stop me from trying to hit the shop, but I do think the random instant death is a bit much. Aside from the shop I had looked at possibly hunting the thugs before, good thing this came up - I may not. I dunno.

I think you're in the wrong guild if you want the shop to be risk free on main street. It isn't guaranteed death and it isn't totally random when you fall. Maybe you should ask for a moongate if you're that paranoid.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Throne City 05/18/2010 12:32 AM CDT
>>2) The shop is temp? I thought it was permanent.

Temporary

>>3) How expensive are we talking, for the shop? Any chance of a price listing I guess would be out of the question, even if it could be emailed to me?

Man... you've asked for the location, a break-down of the dangers of traveling there, and are now looking for an inventory with pricing listed?

Just go check it out! If you have three favors you run absolutely zero risk of losing all your coins.

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Throne City 05/18/2010 01:24 AM CDT
>What's the messaging when you fall?

In case you're still wondering.

[Colosseum Ruins, Upper Tier]
Planks of wood make a serpentine pattern on the floor, snaking around the many holes that were formed as portions of the lower tier collapsed. In the places where the footing looks most stable, rows of scaly husks are piled, though many of the larger ones are instead nailed onto the walls. Between the holes, planks and husks, splatters of red and black paint freckle the stone.
Obvious paths: southeast, west.
> southeast

The floor beneath you gives way, sending you crashing to...
[Colosseum Ruins, Northern Tier]
The brick and mortar barricades that partition the various seating areas have collapsed, allowing access directly to the shattered top of the arena wall. Hung overhead are a multitude of tattered tapestries, obviously recent additions as there is no way something so fragile as cloth would have survived centuries of exposure and abandonment. You also see the top of the arena wall.
Obvious exits: southeast, west.
Your death cry echoes in your brain as it quickly dawns on you that you have just died! Already, you feel the tug of eternity upon your soul and you struggle to remain tied to this world.

A chill takes the seat of your soul as your remaining spiritual strength bleeds away steadily. However, you are comforted that you have curried the favor of your god, which will greatly improve the course of your resurrection or reincarnation.

Your body will decay beyond its ability to hold your soul in 87 minutes.
You don't feel particularly confident after this.
DEAD>