Tress Gen rate 02/27/2007 09:51 PM CST
Is there anyway the gen rate for the tresses in Forfedhdar can be checked. There's been a fair amount of us hunting there and only about 5 of them at a time. Even if they have to be a bit more dangerous.

Or are they really supposed to be that rare?

Thank you in advance!
-Player of "One of the Caels" and a WarMage

You say, "I need to wake up a locksmith."
Bromus says, "I used to dream about that nightly. Never worked."
Bromus says, "Never woke up with one next to me either."
You glance at Bromus, a male Human.
Bromus gives you a crooked grin.
Re: Tress Gen rate 02/28/2007 07:55 AM CST
They spawn 2 per hunter and don't wander so you actually have to look for them.

~Arwinia

You are Shrimpstar, a Prydaen Bard.
You have pointed ears and cat-slitted clear colored eyes. Your amber mane is short and thick, and is worn tousled. You have grey fur and a slender tail.
You look tired.

You are wearing nothing special.
Re: Tress Gen rate 02/02/2009 02:46 PM CST
I tried hunting in Tress the past two weekends and had the same trouble that the original poster had. There was one room with 5 tresses held by one to two hunter. I wandered for hours without getting a single tress. With the hunt verb I was able to wander and check the entire area.

Would someone please look at this area. It is a great training area for hunters that care for swarms. With the new hunt verb it makes it easy to get to the spot where one pops.
Re: Tress Gen rate 02/03/2009 01:20 AM CST
>>I tried hunting in Tress the past two weekends and had the same trouble that the original poster had. There was one room with 5 tresses held by one to two hunter. I wandered for hours without getting a single tress. With the hunt verb I was able to wander and check the entire area.

The gen rate you observed is consistent with my vision for this particular location. Gen is based on a specific number of creatures, rather than a per-hunter value. I could increase the number of creatures, but I do not want to overwhelm those who actually enjoy it there. It will never be a per-hunter gen.

The location isn't meant as a destination for hunters; tresses are included primarily as 'atmosphere' for those passing through to other places. They are, after all, nothing but bearded moss come horribly alive with a thirst for blood.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: Tress Gen rate 02/03/2009 05:12 AM CST
<<The location isn't meant as a destination for hunters; tresses are included primarily as 'atmosphere' for those passing through to other places. They are, after all, nothing but bearded moss come horribly alive with a thirst for blood.

Neat. Now there's something that never occurred to me, some hunting areas aren't really meant to be permanent training grounds more of a danger for when one passes through.

Nikpack

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Tress Gen rate 02/03/2009 10:40 AM CST
While I'd like to see bump up in amount of critters there, that is not the real problem. What can happen is what one person described. Tresses seem to pop in one or two rooms much greater than the others. There are then players that will wait in these rooms and gather 3 or 4 on themselves. They'll just dance around, learning defenses and brawling, rarely killing one of the creatures. Tresses never (as far as I have seen) retreat. So what you end up having is one player controling the whole area.

What I'd like to see is that the gen be more spread out and that they would retreat and leave a room after a certain time.
Re: Tress Gen rate 02/03/2009 02:29 PM CST
I'm going to have to add my support to increasing the number of tresses in the area. Dryad and blight ogre boxes are still a bit too hard for me to open (I blow up about 50% of the traps) and since bloodvines don't drop boxes they're the only critters in P5 that I can use to train those skills.

As an alternative since you seem to only want a limited number in the area, would it be at least possible to lower their engagement cap to 2? That would achieve the danger to people passing through, but still allow somebody to hunt them with another person in the area.

-Azhag
Re: Tress Gen rate 02/03/2009 02:54 PM CST
>>that they would retreat and leave a room after a certain time.

As far as I know, there's not a single critter that actually does or is intended to bypass or ignore the critter-retreat mechanics due to dancing for too long. This mechanic was put in expressly to avoid allowing one player from forever hogging all the spawn, so if you aren't seeing tresses retreat you will probably want to BUG them for it.

Some critters won't retreat due to fear and other target-evaluation factors regarding skills/stats, group numbers, or how large the purple polka dots are on your pink ninja pajamas, but that's an entirely different critter-retreating mechanic altogether.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Tress Gen rate 02/03/2009 04:10 PM CST
>>While I'd like to see bump up in amount of critters there, that is not the real problem. What can happen is what one person described. Tresses seem to pop in one or two rooms much greater than the others. There are then players that will wait in these rooms and gather 3 or 4 on themselves. They'll just dance around, learning defenses and brawling, rarely killing one of the creatures. Tresses never (as far as I have seen) retreat. So what you end up having is one player controling the whole area.

I think you're seeing the effects of tress mechanics interacting poorly with the setting that forces gen in player rooms. Tresses aren't supposed to retreat because they aren't supposed to move at all; they are stuck in one place, being attached to the trees.

I'll see about tweaking the forced gen so that they gen randomly in rooms rather than gravitating toward players. I can also fiddle with the mechanics to allow them to retreat, but it will take longer to determine if it's possible to keep them from moving while still obeying the critter retreat directive.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: Tress Gen rate 02/03/2009 04:20 PM CST
While I understand this issue in Prime, can those changes not be rolled into Plat?

- The Moose
Re: Tress Gen rate 02/04/2009 07:43 AM CST
Wythor, tresses are great as they are. I think some of the people complaining need to learn to walk around the area; I've never had a problem finding a tress or two using this method. Please don't ruin a good thing.

~Thilan
Re: Tress Gen rate 02/04/2009 08:10 PM CST
>Wythor, tresses are great as they are. I think some of the people complaining need to learn to walk around the area; I've never had a problem finding a tress or two using this method. Please don't ruin a good thing.

You mean, unless someone hogs all the spawn and then none will get at all, right?
Re: Tress Gen rate 02/04/2009 09:09 PM CST
>Wythor, tresses are great as they are. I think some of the people complaining need to learn to walk around the area; I've never had a problem finding a tress or two using this method. Please don't ruin a good thing.

I don't think you understand what the complaint is. Walking around does nothing if the max number is spawned and all engaged on one person.

-Azhag
Re: Tress Gen rate 02/05/2009 07:10 AM CST
>>Walking around does nothing if the max number is spawned and all engaged on one person.

I see what you're saying. Just seems to be a fairly rare situation not all that worth worrying about. But in that case I'd prefer they gen randomly.

~Thilan
Re: Tress Gen rate 02/06/2009 03:43 PM CST
Thank for looking into this Wythor.

As I posted earlier I use the hunt verb and love it.