Webbing Roots Update 07/03/2012 10:50 PM CDT
Heyo!

In a few minutes I'll be rolling in an update to the webbing roots areas to hopefully resolve some of the issues people have had with them. Briefly, these areas should now:

-No longer catch people repeatedly.
-Actually teach the escaping skill ok.

If you are trying to use these areas for escaping training, you will find the best results come from doing normal hunting stuff. Running back and forth repeatedly through these areas will not train well, though even getting hung up once has had a bit of a bump in learning. If you are trying to pass through one of these areas safely, you may want to move slowly. Let me know how this works for you all.

I hope the added skill training these areas now provide make the increased danger of them worthwhile. In a few days if all goes well, I'll have this update in Plat with TF to follow.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Webbing Roots Update 07/03/2012 11:28 PM CDT

>No longer catch people repeatedly.

Thank you! That was totally messing with me last time I was there :P
Re: Webbing Roots Update 07/29/2012 10:59 PM CDT
I haven't heard much feedback on this update, so I'd like to see if anyone out there has been having any troubles or successes with this update. One of my main goals was to make the areas that use these mechanics teach reasonably well for those that are using them to hunt in. Aside from that - I'm curious if anyone has had problems getting repeatedly stuck or feeling like it's an unfair skill check. I know this is in use at the serpent hunting area in Fang Cove, the Dusk Ogre area near Riverhaven, and there's a spot in Boar Clan that uses it as well.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Webbing Roots Update 07/29/2012 11:13 PM CDT
Was this rolled into Plat yet? I don't notice a difference there at all, from frequency to training.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Webbing Roots Update 07/29/2012 11:24 PM CDT
Well, I was holding off, cause I need to do some manual tweaking of the areas, and I didn't want to have to do it multiple times in multiple instances. But... it is updated there now.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Webbing Roots Update 07/29/2012 11:37 PM CDT
>>Well, I was holding off, cause I need to do some manual tweaking of the areas, and I didn't want to have to do it multiple times in multiple instances. But... it is updated there now.

Well, I'm not getting webbed at all anymore (I ran back and forth through that tunnel a dozen times), so I can't speak for the exp gain, but on the plus side not getting webbed.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Webbing Roots Update 07/30/2012 12:41 AM CDT
I may not have had it fully up at the time, and the speed you run through the area makes a difference. Thanks for checking it out for me though.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Webbing Roots Update 07/30/2012 12:56 AM CDT

I had about 30 ranks of escaping and was hunting in the roots in FC and it did train. It wasn't as fast as weapons or armor, but still had a noticeable amount of mindstate after I finished hunting. I noticed the roundtimes were about usually 10 seconds, but that's probably because I don't have much escaping. What was the last word on what roots will contest post-3.0?

How slow do you need to go to get all the way through without getting stuck? It's always the second room in Under Fang's Peak that gets me.

The roots around Leth by Old Cranks road only brought me to my knees and I think one time they only slowed me down. There is also this one spot down by Shard in with the bison and pards that still has the unmodified roots: go east trail, down, down. That one tripped me every time.
Re: Webbing Roots Update 07/30/2012 01:43 AM CDT
with 2 different characters, one with 109 escaping in prime, one with 39 escaping in plat, both clerics, both fighting serpents in fang cove. The one with 39 is getting "caught" while hunting considerably more than the 109, which makes much more sense than previously. Running through getting caught which is much more reasonable.

Haven't seen a single other solitary soul in prime in fang cove all day. So don't know if other people are being "caught" by webs.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Webbing Roots Update 07/30/2012 02:33 AM CDT
>>I had about 30 ranks of escaping and was hunting in the roots in FC and it did train. It wasn't as fast as weapons or armor, but still had a noticeable amount of mindstate after I finished hunting. I noticed the roundtimes were about usually 10 seconds, but that's probably because I don't have much escaping. What was the last word on what roots will contest post-3.0?

Yeah, you're on the low end for that area (in escaping skill) so the learning won't be too hot, and the RTs will be on the longer side.

>>How slow do you need to go to get all the way through without getting stuck?

Heh, pretty slow with 30 ranks. :)

>> roots around Leth by Old Cranks road

If I'm looking at the same spot you're referring to, that's a mud slowdown. I may do a bit of work on that at some point given how many complaints that particular slowdown generates in Apes.

>>one spot down by Shard

And that one uses the other 'roots' that also has been changed and has been live in Plat for awhile now. It's the same as the roots in the boar area near Riverhaven and your ability to avoid tripping should grow with skills/stats.

>>with 2 different characters, one with 109 escaping in prime, one with 39 escaping in plat, both clerics, both fighting serpents in fang cove. The one with 39 is getting "caught" while hunting considerably more than the 109, which makes much more sense than previously. Running through getting caught which is much more reasonable.

Was the learning rate worth the added risk/RTs of webbing for either of the characters?

>>What was the last word on what roots will contest post-3.0?

The two roots areas I've worked on will primarily convert to Athletics as the contest. The tripping roots has a stat check for some parts of it which will remain as is. If I dig into the mud stuff... who knows.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Webbing Roots Update 07/30/2012 02:55 AM CDT
Was the learning rate worth the added risk/RTs of webbing for either of the characters?

I'd have to say yes.

The prime cleric has previously learned the skill for the most part in the seacaves of Aesry fighting unyns, whereas most of the ranks for platside cleric has been from the spot in dusk ogres. I intend to take both characters, eventually, to the manor south of leth to fight Kartais, who do a vast amount of webbing <and are undead>. So hoping this will help train them sufficiently this way.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Webbing Roots Update 07/30/2012 09:07 AM CDT
>>I may not have had it fully up at the time, and the speed you run through the area makes a difference. Thanks for checking it out for me though.

Sounds good. I'll try again tonight.

Re: Webbing Roots Update 07/30/2012 10:08 AM CDT
>> roots around Leth by Old Cranks road
>If I'm looking at the same spot you're referring to, that's a mud slowdown.

There's a mud slow down south towards Ilaya Taipa but a root trip on the north end of the path closer to Leth.

With ~150 escaping and >40 reflexes I have no issues with the roots in Blighted Tangle (nyads/dryads), Gilen Otso Steppes down to the bison/pard area, entrance to Abandoned Mine area, dusk ogre caves, or boars by Riverhaven. I just zip right through. It's great.

On the other hand, none of those teach anything. I'm rather curious what natural obstruction could, or if we'll be relegated to breaking unyn/kartais/armadillo webs.
Re: Webbing Roots Update 07/30/2012 01:09 PM CDT
Learning rate in the FC serpents has been great for me...so nice to learn escaping here while hunting!
Re: Webbing Roots Update 07/30/2012 07:30 PM CDT
Should this be activating on non-room movement actions? Or at the very least getting me off 0/34?

> throw LEFT
Your feet stick in the marshy gloop, prohibiting your movement and covering your legs with wet muck.

You deftly maneuver through the marshy gloop and avoid getting too much of the wet muck on your legs.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Webbing Roots Update 07/30/2012 08:36 PM CDT
>>Should this be activating on non-room movement actions?

Yep, that's how you can train the skill without randomly running around just to get the webbing effect to trigger. Which, by the way, teaches also, but no where near as well as hunting in the area.

>>Or at the very least getting me off 0/34?
>>You deftly maneuver through the marshy gloop and avoid getting too much of the wet muck on your legs.

Looks like you didn't actually get webbed, probably because your skill outclasses the check, or you were close to the skill check and were victorious in ye olde random roll. In either case you wouldn't receive any exp.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Webbing Roots Update 07/30/2012 08:39 PM CDT
>>Looks like you didn't actually get webbed, probably because your skill outclasses the check, or you were close to the skill check and were victorious in ye olde random roll. In either case you wouldn't receive any exp.

So why is it preventing action if I'm rolling high enough to not learn.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Webbing Roots Update 07/30/2012 09:16 PM CDT
>>"ye olde random roll" © Copyright 1986-2012, Simutronics Corp. All Rights Reserved.

:)

System Announcement: The Night Sun has been snuffed. It's dark again. Now the scary stuff comes out.
Re: Webbing Roots Update 07/30/2012 09:36 PM CDT
>>So why is it preventing action if I'm rolling high enough to not learn.

Fair enough. I've changed it so that action should happen after the evade message. Oh, and while I was there I noticed a weird bug that you might have been experiencing where you were evading the webbing on just about every action. If that sort of craziness was what was happening to you - that's been fixed too.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Webbing Roots Update 07/31/2012 06:15 AM CDT
Thanks!

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh
Re: Webbing Roots Update 07/31/2012 01:29 PM CDT
FYI, there is a typo. Root in Apes.

An few exposed roots wrench free from the ground after catching on your feet as you pass. You rush east.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh
Re: Webbing Roots Update 08/06/2012 05:55 PM CDT
I don't suppose you'll be messing with the mud in apes? I can dig until my hands bleed, and even get the message that you dig enough mud to assist your movements, and still be stuck... I don't think I've ever dug my way out of the mud in there.

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
Re: Webbing Roots Update 08/06/2012 06:09 PM CDT
I probably will be, though I've got a couple of must-get-done X3 projects to get settled away first.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Webbing Roots Update 08/07/2012 05:04 PM CDT
awesome, thanks

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
Re: Webbing Roots Update 08/14/2012 12:32 PM CDT
>>Fair enough. I've changed it so that action should happen after the evade message. Oh, and while I was there I noticed a weird bug that you might have been experiencing where you were evading the webbing on just about every action. If that sort of craziness was what was happening to you - that's been fixed too.

OK, shouldn't this be teaching then?

A few exposed roots wrench free from the ground after catching on your feet as you pass, a particularly sturdy one finally brings you to your knees.
Roundtime: 1 sec.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh
Re: Webbing Roots Update 08/14/2012 03:02 PM CDT
That's not the webbing roots, that's the other roots thing and it doesn't teach because most of the checks are stat based not skill based.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Webbing Roots Update 09/05/2012 10:06 PM CDT
>>Fair enough. I've changed it so that action should happen after the evade message. Oh, and while I was there I noticed a weird bug that you might have been experiencing where you were evading the webbing on just about every action. If that sort of craziness was what was happening to you - that's been fixed too.

Seems like there is a messaging error when you avoid getting webbed. It should have said "chop a scimitar" instead of, well:

R> [gca]: CHOP
>
You attempt to move, but you find the mud adheres to your feet like thick paste and fastens you to the ground.

With skilled footwork, you navigate the unfavorable terrain and prevent yourself from getting stuck in the thick, paste-like mud.
< You With skilled footwork, you navigate the unfavorable terrain and prevent yourself from getting stuck in the thick, paste-like mud. at a zombie stomper. A zombie stomper attempts to dodge.
The scimitar lands a strong hit (6/22) that cleaves the stomper's torso from shoulder to hip to expose rotting organs.
[You're nimbly balanced and overwhelming opponent.]
[Roundtime 2 sec.]

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh
Re: Webbing Roots Update 09/07/2012 10:38 PM CDT
Should be fixed now.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate