Aesthene's Close 05/27/2013 12:33 AM CDT
Since I can't remember if I've asked for this before, I'll pretend I haven't.

Can we please get a way to learn the way out of Aethene's Close that doesn't require another person to come down?

It seems like every other week I'm fishing some young kid out of there and as far as I can tell, there's no way to discover the tile puzzle answer.

Please, won't you think of the children?

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Aesthene's Close 05/27/2013 02:10 AM CDT
If you explore the whole area there are clues to the exit. Really vague clues. It takes a pretty big leap to use those clues to solve the puzzle. It could use a disembodied voice whispering 'only the penitent man shall pass' in the tile room corridor.
Re: Aesthene's Close 05/27/2013 02:19 AM CDT
The first time I ever played DR, my sister and I got stuck down there. We just rolled new characters, on new accounts, after hours of trying to get out.

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.

http://i.imgur.com/fBq8R.jpg
Re: Aesthene's Close 05/27/2013 08:12 AM CDT
I'd love for this place to be a bit revamped, have some Urrem'tier critters, maybe have a newly discovered and hard to climb into area (like maybe some river broke through some part into it) and now you climb up a rough ledge with hard pushing regular streaming water and [new hunting area]...

Maybe some type of Void-hybrid humanoid (backstabbable).

But the clues, could also be better. I'd love the place to have a face lift.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Aesthene's Close 05/27/2013 01:55 PM CDT
Are all the clues working? I don't remember the solution being that obtuse, but it did take a lot of poking around and looking at stuff weirdly.
Re: Aesthene's Close 05/27/2013 02:32 PM CDT
>Are all the clues working? I don't remember the solution being that obtuse, but it did take a lot of poking around and looking at stuff weirdly.

I don't remember there being that many clues, and if I can't find them with a walkthrough, then some new kid who was randomly wandering around isn't going to find them.

I'm not kidding when I say I have to regularly extract folks from there.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Aesthene's Close 05/27/2013 03:05 PM CDT
The first time I went in there I was able to find the single clue easy enough (I was already used to walking around looking at things), but it was the syntax of interacting with the puzzle that held me up. Funny, right?
Re: Aesthene's Close 05/27/2013 11:49 PM CDT
One problem with the clue in the Close is that to interpret them you have to already know more in-game fiction than the average person who gets stuck in there.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
- Arthur O'Shaughnessy
Re: Aesthene's Close 05/28/2013 08:17 AM CDT
My favorite in game area, because it provides an impromptu "event" for every noob who either finds it or is found by a bored veteran player who wants to give a noob a fun experience. I've brought dozens of noobs in there over the years pretending i dont know the way out.

There are a very, very fair few who can get out in under a couple of hours. First time i was in there I was stuck for like 4 or 5 hours because i have one of the lowest intelligence quotients in the game.

i dont think you need to know anything going in there in order to find your way out. I do think that while the clues ARE present and available it is a truly challenging puzzle; players have to suddenly decide this is one of the extremely rare cases where it is important to look at objects they normally wouldn't, and at times, from a number of directions.

Ya it can probably use a face-lift, even for older players who would like to fall back in love with an area that has provided them with lasting memories.

But I have no problems with nooblets getting lost down there and having to cry for help. That desperation burns a positive memory into their brains for life. I wouldn't want to steal one of the very few lasting fond memories that we all carry because caraamon feels bad for them or is weary of saving them. You're so selfish, how do you live with yourself??
Re: Aesthene's Close 05/28/2013 08:28 AM CDT
Or they do like several people have said and get so fed up with it that they delete the character and make a new one.

That's bad for new player retention.

I personally have no 'fond' memories of wasting hours of my life on stupid syntax puzzles with no clues. Especially not when I'm deluged with new stuff from an already confusing game full of commands and information in a way I've not handled before (text based vs normal gameplay).

Pants.
Re: Aesthene's Close 05/28/2013 08:38 AM CDT
i misread your post initially :-/

or they pay another $2 and create another character to get their lost character help.
Re: Aesthene's Close 05/29/2013 01:56 PM CDT
I concur to this! :)