Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Rope bridge 03/25/2010 07:45 AM CDT
<<Separately, this is one of just a couple climbs in game that completely ignore your skill. Obviously this isn't desirable.

Isn't the climb check to not fall into sky giants while making the cross? Or is that a stat-check thing?

-Evran

* Prophet Hotoke Fuku-Nyorai snuck out of the shadow he was hiding in.
Re: Rope bridge 03/25/2010 08:16 AM CDT
>>I have 400+ evasion and 267 climbing and his point is the correct one in this thread.

I have 600+ evasion and 200+ climbing and his point is the incorrect one in this thread. Am I doing it right?

Getting into Rossmans is dangerous. I don't care how they implement it - whether it is a round time at the end of a climb (doesn't make sense logically but guess what, this is a fantasy game!) or whether they just force you to sit in that room for 30 seconds after you hop off the bridge. Makes no difference.

The point is there is supposed to be an element of danger when going INTO Rossmans. Removing that round time currently would simply let your travel script move at full speed and bypass all the mean and nasty creatures which are eating this poorly trained mage's face. IMO simply add a check when you get off the rope bridge that contests whether or not you are shot in the face by a passing orc. This should help pacify those who feel the current mechanic is lame while keeping that element of danger... until they head back to the boards complaining about how unfair it is.

Take the barge buddy.

-Galren

Messenger Boy: The Thessalonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Achilles: Thats why no one will remember your name.
Re: Rope bridge 03/25/2010 08:20 AM CDT
<<The point is there is supposed to be an element of danger when going INTO Rossmans>>

or... a moonmage can just gate in...

the world is broken
Re: Rope bridge 03/25/2010 08:29 AM CDT
>>or... a moonmage can just gate in...

Yep. Or a ranger could run trails to get in. Or you could have a paladin or cleric banner/consecrate the room to ensure you aren't engaged. Or you could simply ask for a friend to wait on the other side to make sure warcats don't ambush you from hiding. What is your point? That some guilds can get around this intended dangerous mechanic?

The original discussion has morphed from, "getting into Rossmans is too dangerous lets make it safer by removing the creatures in that room" (see post 602) to "well the mechanic after getting off the bridge doesn't make sense" to now apparently "well some guilds can get around this mechanic."

My only point is that it's supposed to be dangerous getting in. How this is accomplished or whether or not certain guilds can get around it is irrelevant to the original posters request.

-Galren

Messenger Boy: The Thessalonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Re: Rope bridge 03/25/2010 08:38 AM CDT
>>The point is there is supposed to be an element of danger when going INTO Rossmans.

God I didn't want to get dragged into this again but this argument is truly silly and a sad attempt at justifying a ridiculous roundtime and outdated mechanics. Where's the danger on the south side? All it takes is skill, there's absolutely 0 danger if you have enough swimming and climbing.
Re: Rope bridge 03/25/2010 08:49 AM CDT
>>God I didn't want to get dragged into this again but this argument is truly silly and a sad attempt at justifying a ridiculous roundtime and outdated mechanics. Where's the danger on the south side? All it takes is skill, there's absolutely 0 danger if you have enough swimming and climbing.

There have been posts on this very topic dating back to 2005 and probably even earlier though I gave up searching after a bit. I agree that the 30 second round time for stepping off a rope bridge is silly mechanics wise. But I have to believe that an element of danger is desired going into Rossmans from Theren since there has been numerous requests over 5 years to change something simple. I'd imagine if it was a bug or broken or unintended mechanic this would have changed.

Unlike the original poster I suggested a solution with a check at the end of the climb to see whether or not you are shot in the face by an orc.

Same great dangerous taste, less filling round time.

-Galren

Re: Rope bridge 03/25/2010 08:54 AM CDT
>There have been posts on this very topic dating back to 2005 and probably even earlier though I gave up searching after a bit. I agree that the 30 second round time for stepping off a rope bridge is silly mechanics wise. But I have to believe that an element of danger is desired going into Rossmans from Theren since there has been numerous requests over 5 years to change something simple. I'd imagine if it was a bug or broken or unintended mechanic this would have changed.

I agree that the element of danger is desired. I think it's a horrible implementation. I think the lack of skill check for the shuffle RT is lazy programming. And I also believe that it isn't a priority. Not everything that should be updated is, you know that. "If there was something wrong it would have been fixed" is a ridiculous argument.
Re: Rope bridge 03/25/2010 08:56 AM CDT
* Your post here *>>There have been posts on this very topic dating back to 2005 and probably even earlier though I gave up searching after a bit. I agree that the 30 second round time for stepping off a rope bridge is silly mechanics wise. But I have to believe that an element of danger is desired going into Rossmans from Theren since there has been numerous requests over 5 years to change something simple. I'd imagine if it was a bug or broken or unintended mechanic this would have changed.

It seems like it'd be a simple change but we have no idea of that. It's also extremely annoying whether or not you have the skill to handle the critters at the end but it's not really game breaking or that important. Both of these reasons could be the reason that it hasn't been updated.

Also I didn't say it was a bug or unintended mechanic. I said it was outdated. Hopefully someday they'll get around to making it a climbing check. I'd be more than happy if they just copied the code from the bridge in the fortress and put it here. That will cut the RT in half and provide a chance for falling. That should satisfy your need for danger.
Re: Rope bridge 03/25/2010 09:25 AM CDT
>>Not everything that should be updated is, you know that. "If there was something wrong it would have been fixed" is a ridiculous argument.

You see this kind of stuff on the World of Warcraft forums all the time.

Player A dislikes some mechanic or behavior and assumes that it isn't intended. Claiming that "not everything that should be updated is" is weak at best because what you believe should be updated isn't necessarily in line with what the developers feel should be updated.

You say that my argument of "if something was wrong it would have been fixed" is ridiculous. I disagree. When was the last time we had an unintended bug or mechanic (cited as such by a developer), released during its original implementation, last for 5 years? I'm trying to think of one but nothing comes to mind.

I guess I should have been more clear in my original statement. How about this: ""If there was something wrong, in the eyes of the developers, it would have likely been fixed within the past 5 years or at the very least we might have heard something about it being a bug or unintended mechanic."

-Galren

Re: Rope bridge 03/25/2010 09:39 AM CDT
>>You say that my argument of "if something was wrong it would have been fixed" is ridiculous. I disagree. When was the last time we had an unintended bug or mechanic (cited as such by a developer), released during its original implementation, last for 5 years? I'm trying to think of one but nothing comes to mind.

Once again, it was probably intended at one point but the way the game is moving now and they changes they are making it doesn't make sense anymore.

>>I guess I should have been more clear in my original statement. How about this: ""If there was something wrong, in the eyes of the developers, it would have likely been fixed within the past 5 years or at the very least we might have heard something about it being a bug or unintended mechanic."

And you've been around long enough to know that not every bug that needs fixing or outdated mechanic gets changed right away or even within years. For all we know they might still have it in there because it requires an overhaul of the entire area and that's why they haven't done it. Either way, saying it's still meant to be and that's why the GMs haven't done anything or saying that it it's outdated and should change and they haven't gotten around to it is speculation on both sides. The way the current GMs are working towards making the game more balanced all around though makes me lean towards the latter. Although there are some new areas with no checks (see the Ice Road).

It would be really nice if one of the Therengia GMs could chime in and let us know if the 2 minute crossing of the rope bridge regardless of skill is slated to be changed or to stay and preferably why if it's going to stay but that's not required. Just a red name response to quiet us down would be nice.
Re: Rope bridge 03/25/2010 09:44 AM CDT
<<When was the last time we had an unintended bug or mechanic (cited as such by a developer), released during its original implementation, last for 5 years?>>

While I have no idea how long the various bugs have existed, have you ever played with the substance system? I played with it for awhile and hit bugs every time I turned around.

Just because something works as intended doesn't mean it can't be improved upon. There's not really a bug with the bridge, it does what it's supposed to do. It just does it in a way that sucks.

Tishra says, "We had a tie, get over it."

The hammer lands an overwhelming strike that knocks the larynx clear back to the vertebrae (So much for last words!).
* Tishra is slain before your eyes!
Re: Rope bridge 03/25/2010 10:16 AM CDT
Save these silly arguments for the WoW forums then. The idea that something shouldn't be changed because it's been that way for years really has no place on these message boards.

The more relevant example I can think of is the Aesry stairs. It used to be static time, but it was completely rewritten after many years of player complaints. And now, Aesry really isn't that bad to get around. Things change. It's not a big deal to talk about this stuff.
Re: Rope bridge 04/01/2010 04:08 PM CDT
The odds of the RT being shortened/nixed for the last part heading into Rossman's from Theren side of that bridge, are on par with them making that bridge accessible to more than one person at a time.

Kalnean says, "Wyns, you're out of control, careful."
Re: Rope bridge 04/10/2010 01:21 AM CDT
>>The idea that something shouldn't be changed because it's been that way for years really has no place on these message boards.

Actually, they have all the place they want on these message boards. This isn't a "SUGGESTIONS ONLY" folder.

- Fist of the Heavens Korsik Rippentropp, Aegis of Justice

I warned you before I'm addicted to war
I was praying for Armageddon on the day I was born
Re: Rope bridge 04/16/2010 09:33 PM CDT
I doubt this would ever happen but.. Considering how heavily traveled the area is, could be fun if there was some kinda RP event regarding this bridge. Some company/organization starts raising funds to build a real bridge over the area to replace the rope bridge. It's up to the players to donate the coin to do it.

I know there's an endless supply of coin, so make it something HUGE. Something that'd take a long time, and then start construction if/whenever the goal is met. Then, you could have something where the local creatures damage the bridge over time, and players with an appropriate craft (after those are released) have to maintain it. Or, could instead just charge a regular toll to maintain the upkeep.

I know this negates the danger but, I just thought it had a chance, with proper fleshing out, to be a neat RP event.

DRPrime - Celeres Turrance
Re: Rope bridge 04/16/2010 10:12 PM CDT
Indiana Jones style but with sky giants underneath to squash heads when people fell instead of crocodiles eating people
Re: Rope bridge 04/17/2010 03:55 AM CDT
I'd like to see engineering + leather working to create a hang glider-esque contraption to bypass the rope bridge and possibly even the gondola.

Make them expensive and consumable (crashes upon landing)

RIP Tachid. Thank you for all the laughs.
(17 Akr., 394 ~ 5 Uth., 397)
Re: Rope bridge 04/17/2010 10:44 AM CDT
I like.

However that may be difficult to make (design, and code), and I think it would need to be silk not leather.

Re: Rope bridge 04/17/2010 11:45 AM CDT
IMO, you need P5 style zip lines on both sides, with a tall pole or tree or something to get the necessary height on each side.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Rope bridge 04/17/2010 01:25 PM CDT
More engineering to build launching towers that collapses over time or catapults that snap & break after use but gives you the needed height :D

Re: Rope bridge 04/17/2010 06:22 PM CDT
>More engineering to build launching towers that collapses over time or catapults that snap & break after use but gives you the needed height

Don't forget the corresponding piles of hay on either side.

- Fuquois

Board Villainy is a lost art.
Re: Rope bridge 04/17/2010 08:30 PM CDT
>Don't forget the corresponding piles of hay on either side.

Ssshhh!! That's for the thief guild secret 100th ability/passage leap of faith!

Re: Rope bridge 05/12/2010 02:42 PM CDT
If this question hasn't been addressed yet....Why is it that the room description at the beginning of the bridge (at least on the rossman's side) shows a rope going north and a rope going south? Are there really supposed to be two ropes?

Would be neat if like on the ferry you could jump from one to the other in case you had to make a quick turn around. Or in a skill-v-skill attempt, jump on a person on the other rope and knock em off (or fall trying).
Re: Rope bridge 05/12/2010 10:34 PM CDT
and if there are 2 ropes can we allow 1 person going each way please?

Wanderer Larze

Your mind hears Aethyrr thinking, "fyrel I can't lick my hips"
Re: Rope bridge 05/13/2010 07:08 AM CDT
One is for your feet, the other for your hands?

Death Dealer Adakin of Prime
WorldsBestMagic Kastr of TF

"The Key To Immortality Is Living A Life Worth Remembering."

"Killing Time Murders Opportunities."
Re: Rope bridge 06/16/2010 12:38 AM CDT
>> One is for your feet, the other for your hands?

Makes sense. Probably would look something like this:

http://warchronicle.com/50th_div/regimentals_wwii/yorkstraining.jpg

If you notice, multiple people can cross at one time, but they must all be going the same direction!
Re: Rope bridge 06/16/2010 02:19 PM CDT
>If you notice, multiple people can cross at one time, but they must all be going the same direction!

There's no reason why you couldn't pass someone going in the opposite direction either. The main issue would be the weight limit for the rope. Also, can gnomes reach the top rope?

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Rope bridge 06/16/2010 06:27 PM CDT
Gnomes dangle

Transcendent Paladin Adakin of Prime
WorldsBestMagic Kastr of TF

"The Key To Immortality Is Living A Life Worth Remembering."

"Killing Time Murders Opportunities."
Re: Rope bridge 06/20/2010 01:51 PM CDT
I did think about letting the critters cut the rope while someone was on it but the boss wouldn't let me. So many good ideas ....

-Linda / Danalae
Re: Rope bridge 06/21/2010 12:29 AM CDT
Fight God of War style across the bridge!
Re: Rope bridge 07/02/2010 07:10 PM CDT
please no, I dont want to have to sit there and hit x, o /\, [] ect....

Wanderer Larze

Your mind hears Aethyrr thinking, "fyrel I can't lick my hips"
Re: Rope bridge 07/12/2010 11:59 PM CDT
<<I did think about letting the critters cut the rope while someone was on it but the boss wouldn't let me. So many good ideas ....

Haha, I love it. I would be fine with this, especially if we could speed up the journey because of the added risk and allow 2 people to cross at a time, one per direction.
Re: Rope bridge 08/01/2010 04:41 PM CDT
Old thread, but I just now found it. How does this idea sound?

The long RT in the destination room seems to serve the purpose of giving the system a chance of causing orcs/warcats to engage you before you can safely move through the area. I like the element of danger, just not the way it's implemented now. So here's an attempt to improve that.

Remove the RT in the destination room entirely. Once you you step off the rope bridge, you're free to act.

HOWEVER, change the engagement mechanics (for that room only) so the instant you step off the rope bridge there's a chance of being auto-engaged by orcs/warcats.

The orcs (and probably warcats since animals understand hunting along game trails and might be trained by orcs as attack animals) are obviously aware characters travel along the rope bridge. Being an entry chokepoint into the area makes the rope bridge an ideal place for bushwhacking. It makes sense the orcs/warcats would set up ambushes from time to time for people stepping off the rope bridge. Not every baddie in the room need be at melee either. As I rememeber the orcs are slingers so could be at missile range. Warcats could ambush at melee.

So when you step off you either A) get ambushed instantly (autoengaged), or B) have no baddies in the room and so are immediately free to move on your way without the annoying RT we have now. Only people stepping off the rope bridge would trigger auto-engagement.

I'm hoping the gen in the overall area is high enough so that it wouldn't make it worth anyone's while to abuse the auto-engage mechanics with a higher character to generate swarms for another character. But it's been a while since I hunted there, so not sure what the overall gen is.

Agreed the RT while still moving along the bridge should scale with climbing ranks.

Kaxis

http://www.tinyurl.com/kaxisforgedarmor

You get a stout short sword from inside your thigh quiver.
You cut yourself a white liana flower with your sword.
You place a white liana flower in your hair.
You say, "What a beautiful place."
A vile plague wraith glides into view, carefully searching for intruders.
You glance at a vile plague wraith.
A vile plague wraith rears back and slowly draws in a deep breath before lurching forward to regurgitate a swarm of scorpions at you!
You manage to block the deadly rain of scorpions with your damaska-hide buckler.
You frown.
Re: Rope bridge 08/25/2010 03:56 PM CDT
I had to laugh; not at your idea. I do like the idea. Just open the bridge up to the creatures (both sides included) and keep the 30 second RT for time crossing the bridge. Same amount of danger; maybe even increased.
Rope bridge - blacklist verbs vs whitelist 05/13/2011 08:56 AM CDT
Can we please get the rope bridge to use a blacklist for prohibited verbs, instead of a whitelist for allowed. This is a bit ridiculous:

R> bug
You'd best focus on getting across the bridge first.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Rope bridge - blacklist verbs vs whitelist 05/13/2011 05:03 PM CDT
I'll take a look at it when I get a chance. When it was built they probably didn't want people hanging out on the bridge, tying it up and tagged it with verbs they thought might make the players stop midstream.

GM Alvy
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page