By popular demand 03/06/2012 08:30 PM CST
Hiya folks!

In a few moments I'm going to release an update to the Roots rooms that are outside of Riverhaven. Since I think it has been lamented at least a few times over the forums that players of all skill ranges continue to be defeated by these roots, the primary improvement will the addition of a skill check! And since I was very indecisive about which skill to check I decided to make it a whole bunch of skill checks! A few other minor additions are included to avoid some odd situations that those roots caused. Enjoy!

GM Ricinus
Re: By popular demand 03/06/2012 09:01 PM CST
Not familiar with these particular rooms. Are they trip roots, which get you if you walk to fast?

Either way, huzzah for incorporating skill/stat checks.
Re: By popular demand 03/07/2012 12:16 AM CST
Am I correct in assuming these are the rooms south of the standing stones on the way to the deeper swamp?

===
My spathas at hand,
From the ashes I rise,
With resolve in my heart,
And fire in my eyes.
Re: By popular demand 03/07/2012 02:14 AM CST
Yes to both questions.

GM Ricinus
Re: By popular demand 03/07/2012 02:29 AM CST
> Yes to both questions.

In that case, how much would I have to bribe you to get you to give the other root rooms the same treatment?
Re: By popular demand 03/07/2012 05:08 AM CST
Very awesome, thank you!

===
My spathas at hand,
From the ashes I rise,
With resolve in my heart,
And fire in my eyes.
Re: By popular demand 03/07/2012 07:30 AM CST
Finally, someone got to the root of the problem!

And also, part of me will miss that particular root since in the past I've had a few giggles watching friends trip over them. Le sigh.
Re: By popular demand 03/07/2012 09:04 AM CST
This might be a small change, but it's an awesome one! Both I and my character's face thank you for reduced tripping.

-Broichan Leshyahen

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Re: By popular demand 03/07/2012 10:38 AM CST
<<GM-Ricinus

Have you made plans to go to Vegas or Simucon? We owe you drinks and plenty of thanks.

Nikpack
Re: By popular demand 03/07/2012 11:29 AM CST
>>In that case, how much would I have to bribe you to get you to give the other root rooms the same treatment?

Actually you may want to check out any other roots related rooms to see what you'd be willing to offer first. Any room that uses that exact same mechanics are affected by this change.

GM Ricinus
Re: By popular demand 03/07/2012 12:24 PM CST

[Julge Dolen Zaldeni, Valley]
Thick-rooted bushes choke the steep trail. Many generations of creatures have worn the path down the side of the ridge, traveling the quickest route to the running water in the valley below.
Next move: northeast
Obvious paths: up, down.

___

[Old Crank's Road, Forest]
Roots from a massive oak growing beside the road erupt from below, threatening to lame beasts and break wheels. Sharp cuts in the bark are evidence of attempts to remove the hazard, but thus far, the tree is winning the battle. The road takes a sharp bend as it continues to follow the diamond-shaped outline of the city wall.
Obvious paths: south, northwest.

___

Passed both of those checks without falling, don't want to spoil the messaging... very nice change!
Re: By popular demand 03/07/2012 02:52 PM CST
> Actually you may want to check out any other roots related rooms to see what you'd be willing to offer first. Any room that uses that exact same mechanics are affected by this change.

You drive a soft bargain. I'll give them a check, thanks.
Re: By popular demand 03/09/2012 02:25 PM CST
<<This might be a small change, but it's an awesome one! Both I and my character's face thank you for reduced tripping.

Wow! +1

Madigan