Shalswar Spawn 09/28/2007 07:49 PM CDT
It's been a pretty long time since I gave up on shalswars, so I was pleasantly surprised when I gave them another shot recently and found that they seem to have been improved considerably. It looks like the mounted dragon priests refrain from using their special attacks while the shalswar is alive and attacking, and I haven't had a shield or weapon damaged yet; these things combine to make them much better than they previously were for defense training. Thanks to whoever was involved in these adjustments.

There is still some room for improvement, though. I'm finding myself overrun with numbers extremely quickly, to the point that I can't even get a sane number of them long enough for a few to reach melee. To remedy this, I have a few suggestions. Please consider one or more of the following options:

1. There are two distinct areas with shalswars. Lower one of them to three-per-hunter generation.

2. Lower the magic resistance and/or increase the will vs. will susceptibility of the shalswars so that they can be despawned with the Innocence spell (Currently a max-prep cast from melee doesn't do the trick with 50 discipline, 45 intelligence, and 40 charisma. I have a hard time believing that this would be considered low for a creature of this level).

3. Make them spread out! It seems like all five or six of the things in the hunting area all converge on me every time I try them out. If it were possible to get three of them alone for any length of time, things would be much better.

The area's almost workable at this point; the above adjustments would make shalswars into a much needed creature in this region of Elanthia of thier particular difficulty which is good for defense training.

Thanks,
-Grand Master Empath Karthor
Re: Shalswar Spawn 09/28/2007 07:55 PM CDT
AARGH! Spoke too soon I guess, I've just been lit aflame from a shalswar-riding sentinel. So much for parry being learnable there...Well let's add "make the mounted dragon priests not use their special attacks until the shalswar is killed out from under them" to the list then.

Thanks,
-Grand Master Empath Karthor
Re: Shalswar Spawn 09/30/2007 08:59 AM CDT
I'll just say that shalwar are indicative of a great deal of the critters released in P5. Great in principle but with crazy unbalanced special attacks/abilities that make them useless for common training.

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
Keeper of the CEC
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Shalswar Spawn 09/30/2007 10:41 AM CDT
<<I'll just say that shalwar are indicative of a great deal of the critters released in P5.>>

I agree for common training they aren't that great, but for someone who is wishing to push skills and development of their character in a risky environment, P5 critters are by far some of the best. Now if they'd only fix the gen rate in the larger hunting areas.

The one I can really say I don't care for is the ones the spit acid. Only becuase the run to town is so far, and you can't self repair,or wash the acid off before it ruins stuff.

"So like I said, don't take it personally. All cultures have their share of fools. It's just that we always felt yours had a lot more than ours."
~~Warrior Mage Guild Leader Senfrislor, The Prydaen in Their Own Words~~