Gear Gate weirdness 09/21/2006 07:35 AM CDT
Ok so they opened it, and kept yelling at me to go through, but wouldn't let me go through! Log follows:

>go gate

A fur-clad Dwarven guard bellows, "Open the gear gate! Second guard, form up and stand at the ready!"

Slowly the complex tangle of sprockets and cogs set into the surface of the massive gear gate springs to life with a grinding rattle in a flood of sound and motion. Dwarven archers, perched along the peak of the outpost walls, form tight ranks and draw their bows as the massive gate slowly begins to tumble open clockwise.
>
The massive gear gate continues to tumble end over end in a clockwise direction, following the path of the wide slats cut into the frozen ground. The maze of interlocking sprockets and cogs covering its expansive surface spin in a blur of variable movement, driving the gear gate forward.
>
The sun vanishes behind a multicolored splendor of clouds as night slowly drapes its starry banner across the skies.

>
Piercing squeals, slightly drowned by the rhythmic rumble of the spinning sprockets and cogs, slice though the air with unforgiving ferocity as the massive gear gate continues to slowly draw itself open.

>
The maze of interlocking cogs and sprockets set into the face of the massive gear gate grind to a stuttering halt as it slides to a fully open position with a creaking THUD.

A fur-clad Dwarven guard bellows, "The gear gate is open, second guard take up a defensive position and stand ready!"
>go gate

A fur-clad Dwarven guard bellows, "Halt, the gear gate has been sealed for the night! Only Thieves and Dragon Priests dare wander the Seord Kerwaith after sunset, and none shall pass while darkness grips the land!"

>go gate

A fur-clad Dwarven guard bellows, "Halt, the gear gate has been sealed for the night! Only Thieves and Dragon Priests dare wander the Seord Kerwaith after sunset, and none shall pass while darkness grips the land!"

>time

It has been 384 years, 274 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
It is the 7th month of Moliko the Balance in the year of the Crystal Snow Hare.
It is currently fall and it is sunset.
You're positive it's 13 roisaen after the Anlas of Meraud's Cloak.
>
A fur-clad Dwarven guard bellows, "Pass now, or be left to the mercy of the Dragon Priests!"
>go gate

>l

[Seord Kerwaith, Gear Gate]
"Rough-cut logs with sharpened peaks reach across the rough stone walls to block further passage though the pass to the north. Thick curls of black smoke spiral into the sky from beyond the makeshift walls of the outpost, the air filled with the pungent aroma of blood sausage and smoking cedar. In the direct center of the fortification, a massive gear gate has been sandwiched between the sharpened log walls, reaching across the valley to slide seamlessly into the black rock walls of the valley.
Obvious paths: east, southeast, southwest, west.
>
The fur-clad Dwarven guard bellows, "Close the Gear Gate!"

The air is filled with a deafening rattle as the numerous interlocking sprockets and cogs covering the surface of the gear gate slowly grind into motion, sending a fine rain of snow and ice spiraling though the air around it.
>

-Vision et al

Also, I can shoot bees.
Re: Gear Gate weirdness 09/21/2006 08:58 AM CDT
This seems similar to how the Theren Keep drawbridge works at night. If it's down but you're not a citizen you still can't enter. Except there, they at least threaten to turn you into a pincushion if you try to cross. Have you tried again during the day?

~Thilan
Re: Gear Gate weirdness 09/21/2006 11:23 AM CDT
>The sun vanishes behind a multicolored splendor of clouds as night slowly drapes its starry banner across the skies.

Looks like you managed to try to enter at an odd moment where it was opening, night fell midway through, and then it closed for the night immediately afterwards.

Good thing there's a way around it! :)

~GameMaster Nhia
Elothean Champion Duo
Weddings Team

"I was married once in an online fantasy game. We were thinking of having children, but it would have severely drained my power crystals." -- The Simpsons, comic book guy
Re: Gear Gate weirdness 09/21/2006 05:15 PM CDT
>>Good thing there's a way around it! :)

Not even in jest.

-Teeklin

"You take people, you put them on a journey, you give them peril, you find out who they really are. If there's any kind of fiction better than that, I don't know what it is." -Joss Whedon
Re: Gear Gate weirdness 09/21/2006 07:46 PM CDT
>>Good thing there's a way around it! :)

You are not saying the way around is back though to riverlcan then leth then down to shard though but a second way from the point to shard other then the gate?

Has any one tried to get though though the abandond mine?

Halfling,

http://home.comcast.net/~toolshed47/
Re: Gear Gate weirdness 09/22/2006 12:26 AM CDT
>>You are not saying the way around is back though to riverlcan then leth then down to shard though but a second way from the point to shard other then the gate?

No one has said that straight out, it's just been implied. However over 6 hours of searching every single room at or around RP both north and south of the gate using scout area in every room and interacting with literally everything in every room I could find I yielded no way around. So I quit looking and I figure either someone else will discover it or I'll borrow a friend's moonie.

Definately be interested if anyone finds a way though. You'd think it'd be as simple as climbing the gate, or the wall, or over the mountain to either side of the gate or the wall...but you'd be wrong.

-Teeklin

"You take people, you put them on a journey, you give them peril, you find out who they really are. If there's any kind of fiction better than that, I don't know what it is." -Joss Whedon
Re: Gear Gate weirdness 09/22/2006 07:47 AM CDT
I spent a few hours searching both sides of Raven's Point too, but with little success. I did find a secret passage, but it appeared to dead-end at a Shell Shrine.

Oderint dum metuant.
Re: Gear Gate weirdness 09/22/2006 10:03 AM CDT
>I did find a secret passage, but it appeared to dead-end at a Shell Shrine.

I found that shrine a few days ago and got totally distracted by the creepy blood and drawings. You are very close. The shrine is a distraction though, look closely in the area past the fake wall. Oh and the path can be deadly if you go into the wrong places (bad bad DPs), so be careful. Its pretty complicated and I don't remember all the GOs and CLIMBs otherwise I'd post it.

(P.S. Thanks Leo for the tour!)

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
>If it were easy being a Ranger, we wouldn't be as cool as we are. ;) -Vision
Re: Gear Gate weirdness 09/22/2006 03:27 PM CDT
<<look closely in the area>>

Thank you!

Oderint dum metuant.
Re: Gear Gate weirdness 09/22/2006 03:49 PM CDT
<<You move effortlessly through the....>>

It exists.

Oderint dum metuant.
Re: Gear Gate weirdness 09/22/2006 06:07 PM CDT
That's not the only secret shrine in the area though. The other one is just awesome. Well done whoever wrote that room.

-Teeklin