Muspar'i Sand Barge Update Request 04/30/2017 09:50 AM CDT
Is it possible to get a reduction on the Muspar'i sand barge travel time similar to the Mer'Kresh and M'Riss galley reduction?

This would drastically improve the area since the basic service of leather repair requires the residents to travel by the sand barge to the desert oasis.

Thanks for the help!

v/r
Endomlik
Re: Muspar'i Sand Barge Update Request 04/30/2017 08:26 PM CDT
>>Lavoss: Is it possible to get a reduction on the Muspar'i sand barge travel time similar to the Mer'Kresh and M'Riss galley reduction? This would drastically improve the area since the basic service of leather repair requires the residents to travel by the sand barge to the desert oasis.

The main thing that keeps me from spending more time in Muspar'i is that using the leather repair shop is a 15-20-minute round trip (assuming perfect timing) involving a barge ride and a shifting maze.

Shifting mazes, in particular, ruin an otherwise great area for me. While they might be fun for some players when traveling through a new area, the novelty quickly wears off when the shifting maze is part of a routine trip. (If I can't use AutoMapper for routine trips.)

The player population of Muspar'i already suffers from being remote; the area doesn't need to be less user-friendly.

Ideally, there should be a leather repair option in Muspar'i proper. Failing that, if all they did was remove the shifting maze element (making it a fixed path) for both the barge bypass and the route between the barge and the oasis, that would go a long way toward making the area more user-friendly.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Muspar'i Sand Barge Update Request 05/01/2017 02:14 AM CDT
Theres ways around the barge time. You have to have alightly deeper pockets or get lucky and moons are out and can get a gate to someplace that has leather repair. Im not sure how rifts work because they didnt exist when I walked away from DR 7 or 8 years ago. Me, I made my pockets a little deeper and got the jump jewelry. One set to crossing and one to Muspari. Sucks if one moon goes down halfway trough, but thats the price I pay.

As for the player base out here, Ive been seeing a few more people that have evidently made Velaka their home. At least I run across people more often than I did 10 years ago. If I had to put a guess at the current player activity in Muspari, my guess would be 5 or 6 active players in a 24 hour time frame. Thats a lot higher than it used to be.

My only complaints with the desert is the lack of an altar to Kertigen. I understand why one isnt there, but I dont like it. The other is stat training. Theres nowhere closer than Theren that I know of to train any stats. Places like the Theatre for Charisma, the War Mage guild for intelligence, the World Dragon Temple for wisdom, the Sun Forge for stamina, Calabria's for reflex, the tower with the eerie light emanating from it (would have to climb up it to get to the training room) for agility, Royal Library for discipline (it takes true discipline to stay on task when studying at a library), and strength is the only one I cant figure out where it would be a good fit at.

One last thing on the barge time, Im extremely happy with it as is. It used to take FOREVER to get from Hvaral to Muspari. 20 minutes one way with no pitstop...brutal.

Sok Masticack Dwarven Thief and Musparan Sandrat Extrodinaire
Re: Muspar'i Sand Barge Update Request 05/01/2017 12:19 PM CDT
On the bright side, if you aren't training outfitting for crafting, 50 ranks and 2 repair techs is all you need to repair leather and cloth.

I think athletics training and stat training are more needed in Muspar'i than shaving a couple minutes off a trip that isn't overlong to begin with.
Re: Muspar'i Sand Barge Update Request 05/01/2017 12:32 PM CDT
If you reduce the travel time then those issues also become handled without GM development of new facilities.

Easier and faster all around, assuming they can fix the sand barge without causing 'player ship' levels of horror.
Re: Muspar'i Sand Barge Update Request 05/01/2017 03:35 PM CDT
>If you reduce the travel time then those issues also become handled without GM development of new facilities.

Using that logic there shouldn't be any development for any province but Zoluren and there should just be 24/7 moongates to Zoluren. Shrinking every province into one is not the answer. It's nice to be able to put some distance in between you and other people sometimes - even if it's just a few minutes distance.
Re: Muspar'i Sand Barge Update Request 05/01/2017 03:49 PM CDT
>>It's nice to be able to put some distance in between you and other people sometimes - even if it's just a few minutes distance.

I think there's a difference between a distance between players and a distance between services.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Muspar'i Sand Barge Update Request 05/01/2017 03:54 PM CDT
>I think there's a difference between a distance between players and a distance between services.

Yes, but no one is arguing that there shouldn't be services in Muspar'i - just the opposite.
Re: Muspar'i Sand Barge Update Request 05/01/2017 04:23 PM CDT

I'll just chime in here on the side of "the times should be lowered; they're absurd". Isharon's point about Muspar'i's already being sufficiently unattractive by virtue of its remoteness is dead on.

Posted this in 2014 and think it still accurate:

"-I haven't checked, but I assume anyone who's spent any length of time here would insta-recommend reducing travel times substantially and changing the metal repair in town to leather+metal. Allow me to second both suggestions. The latter suggestion is particularly relevant given various 3.x changes. (I know I can repair my own leather by getting some hobby/tech/whatever; I don't want to do that).

-If reducing travel time to Muspar'i is deemed inadvisable for whatever reason, I would recommend simply increasing the time from Hvaral <--> Oasis and reducing the time from Oasis <--> Muspar'i. This would allow residents of Mus reasonable access to the Sand Clan while retaining the general unattractiveness of traveling to Muspar'i from the rest of Elanthia, per Simu/GM preference. Another option is to run a faster set of barges that charge (substantial?) fares."
Re: Muspar'i Sand Barge Update Request 05/01/2017 04:48 PM CDT
>>Yes, but no one is arguing that there shouldn't be services in Muspar'i - just the opposite.

::hits rewind::

"This would drastically improve the area since the basic service of leather repair requires the residents to travel by the sand barge to the desert oasis."

"The main thing that keeps me from spending more time in Muspar'i is that using the leather repair shop is a 15-20-minute round trip (assuming perfect timing) involving a barge ride and a shifting maze."

It looks like the issue people are raising is a lack of access to services, and the easiest solution they're suggesting is "let me get to adjacent services faster" (IMO they're correct that this is easier than getting a new shop set up).

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Muspar'i Sand Barge Update Request 05/01/2017 06:12 PM CDT
It's 2 full zones from Hvaral to Muspar'i which is separated by the single greatest survival barrier ingame afaik. Negating or trivializing that distance isn't the best solution imo.

Leather repair added to the metal repair shop or just as added as it's own shop within Muspar'i would be preferable.
Re: Muspar'i Sand Barge Update Request 05/01/2017 07:16 PM CDT
>>Mothra: It's 2 full zones from Hvaral to Muspar'i which is separated by the single greatest survival barrier ingame afaik. Negating or trivializing that distance isn't the best solution imo.

The barge trip between Muspar'i and the oasis is kind of long, but what bothers me most is the shifting maze between the barge and the oasis, since you can't memorize or easily script the route. (If I can't use AutoMapper to make routine trips within an area, I generally avoid it.)

As far as the barge bypass is concerned, I think the high athletics check is enough of a barrier without also having the maze mechanics.

I would still be in favor of adding leather repair to Muspar'i either way.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide