Kresh to Mriss Swimming 07/07/2012 11:30 AM CDT
Possibly coming to an island near you, Reash is on the case and asked for ideas to be put here.

I will start with one - and this is from a gweth I just heard.

[Bazarith] "Anyone know where a good place to train swimming? around 300. i tryed in mriss but it doesnt work good at all"

So training above 300, having it train up higher would be a plus as well. (for me I would need 650+)

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/07/2012 01:46 PM CDT
Not that I am against adding the ability to swim the galley route, but if you are out of coin on M'Riss, you can always kill a trek or hunter. There is a gem shop on M'Riss where ANYONE can sell tied pouches. So a few coin for a galley ride should only be a matter of a few minutes for most that hunt M'Riss.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Bit Player of M'Riss
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/07/2012 04:43 PM CDT
Most of the time I was there, I was hunting regular peccs on pecc island and then some caracals. Anything with the word trekhalo or whatever it is usually meant death in very short order. I knew about the gem shop, but had no way of collecting them, but the point is well made.

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/07/2012 09:46 PM CDT
>>Not that I am against adding the ability to swim the galley route, but if you are out of coin on M'Riss, you can always kill a trek or hunter. There is a gem shop on M'Riss where ANYONE can sell tied pouches. So a few coin for a galley ride should only be a matter of a few minutes for most that hunt M'Riss.

So are you FOR adding a swim past the galley? Please tell - that's what this thread was started for. No one mentioned anything about the coin it costs to travel across, it's obvious that the price is a non-issue almost all the time. The point is, why not? There is swimming from Crossing to Leth, Haven to NTR. I'm not sure which side you are on from your post (no pun intended!)

My own personal gain from it would be I can get across quicker for the forge which I need to use very often. Others probably have their own reasons which are just as relevant and important to their game play.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/08/2012 02:56 AM CDT
I am neutral on adding swimming. No objection, but do not see it as a huge detriment to my play without it.

______
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/08/2012 08:35 PM CDT
<<No objection, but do not see it as a huge detriment to my play without it.

Do you see it as a possible benefit to your playing? How about a benefit to others? And since when does basically not caring one way or another warrant a response to a question/request that wasnt directed at you?

Falker
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/09/2012 03:37 AM CDT
There are some things in the realms I care passionately about. Swimming to and from Riss is not one of them.

______
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/09/2012 04:01 AM CDT
>> There are some things in the realms I care passionately about. Swimming to and from Riss is not one of them.

Swimming between them would enhance your game-play. You could forge, then swim across and be able to fight ASAP.

I'm all for it.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/09/2012 05:25 AM CDT
OK, I am for it also. So lets talk particulars.. An ocean swim between islands. I would think that a swimmer would go slower than a galley. Should the swim take 2 or 3 times as long as the galley ride? Would the wait time on the galley plus the ride time actually be longer than the swim time should be? And what level wold you put this Ocean swim at? I would see it at the 600 to 800 rank level.

From a Rprospectiveve, I wear HP accessories and carry a ton of weapons on me. I will choose the galley for my transport please.

______
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/09/2012 07:55 AM CDT
since i play a necromancer, i'd like to be able to dive off the side of the galley should anyone else get on board, and swim the rest of the way. :-)

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/09/2012 02:25 PM CDT
>> OK, I am for it also. So lets talk particulars.. An ocean swim between islands. I would think that a swimmer would go slower than a galley. Should the swim take 2 or 3 times as long as the galley ride? Would the wait time on the galley plus the ride time actually be longer than the swim time should be? And what level wold you put this Ocean swim at? I would see it at the 600 to 800 rank level.

Its a 5 minute ride. Equate it to the time required to swim the Galley. As far as ranks, open ocean/sea water would be easier to swim in than freshwater. The salt adds density to the water. Therefore, more buoyancy = less difficulty.

>> Should the swim take 2 or 3 times as long as the galley ride?

You must not be familiar with Elanthian logistics, friend. We're superheroes.

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/09/2012 03:13 PM CDT

>As far as ranks, open ocean/sea water would be easier to swim in than freshwater. The salt adds density to the water.

I don't know about your ocean, but last time I was there I didn't notice any difference between it and a regular lake. Freshwater isn't excatly pure either, you know? No filter feeders to clean it, lot of organic matter in there... Unless we're talking about the Dead Sea, I just wouldn't believe an ocean to be really all that more dense than a river, that's all I'm saying.
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/09/2012 03:32 PM CDT
>>I don't know about your ocean

Truth is swimming in the ocean really isn't that hard at all. There are currents and tide to deal with, but the average able-bodied person is able to deal with this in the general sense. Barring any sort of violent weather, swimming from one island to another island isn't that crazy. The one thing about swimming in the ocean is the incredible time it takes just to cross a rather short distance. Actually, a river is probably the most dangerous depending on the season or speed.

But yeah, RL has very little bearing in this game. As it has be said, we are superheroes. Or, supervillans if you're into that sort of thing. :)

You snap your furry fingers.
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/09/2012 07:23 PM CDT
Everything I've ever read about swimming said oceans were significantly more difficult due to the waves. I'm not sure it's honest to say they are 'easy' to swim in, distances aside.
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/09/2012 07:37 PM CDT
>>BADGOPHER

I'm guessing that was a response to my post and I'd like to point out that I never said anything was easy. However, speaking from personal experience it can be done and isn't really all that hard. Like I said depending on conditions and distance, swimming in the ocean is something that an average person could do.

Just so you know, in my days of being a Californian I swam from Santa Catalina Island to San Clemente Island with my lifeguard troop. Roughly 25+ mile distance, took us over 16 hours. Some of the guys didn't finish, but most of us were able.

Also so you know, 19 yr old me was a superhero too.

Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/09/2012 09:32 PM CDT

<<From a Rprospectiveve, I wear HP accessories and carry a ton of weapons on me. I will choose the galley for my transport please. >>

Bah this is a dangerous path to go down.
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/10/2012 12:54 AM CDT
I'd say the swim from Kresh to M'riss would be like swimming the English channel, except a quarter, or perhaps half the distance. Mere mortals can do that, so I'd say a superhero with superhuman swimming (making Ryan Phelps look like 5 year old with arm floties) would be able to swim it without much problem. I'm all for it taking 6-900 swimming/athleticism to do though.

Falker
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/10/2012 02:05 AM CDT
>> I'd say the swim from Kresh to M'riss would be like swimming the English channel, except a quarter, or perhaps half the distance. Mere mortals can do that, so I'd say a superhero with superhuman swimming (making Ryan Phelps look like 5 year old with arm floties) would be able to swim it without much problem. I'm all for it taking 6-900 swimming/athleticism to do though.

It's not nearly as far as you're insinuating. The city itself is floating(not an actual land mass), anchored to Belarritico bay on M'riss(so its close enough to be connected to M'riss already). And again, it's seawater which is easier to swim in than freshwater. Taking the optimal route should require less swimming than the Segoltha. I'm sure they could implement more challenging areas, though. Its not like being totally surrounded by water shouldn't warrant more challenging obstacles for the best swimmers.

Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/10/2012 02:17 AM CDT
>It's not nearly as far as you're insinuating etc..

I'm guessing that he suggested the 6-900 ranks in order to swim across is based on the people who are already there because of hunting and need to get across are more likely to have that range of skill and isn't so much based on any realistic ideal of what the current is like or what not. Also, could be that even he doesn't have that amount and is projecting a higher number in order to give him and possibly others a reason to actually train swimming a bit more if it was made like that. Just my guess though.

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/10/2012 03:55 AM CDT
RP is one of the reasons I said I did not really care about the ability to swim from Kersh to Riss.

______
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/10/2012 06:36 AM CDT
RP in most forms is a choice. It's never been forced, only supported.

You choose to think of yourself as not being able to do it, heck you may have even tailored your character to be more of an anchor than a buoy. That's well and good if it allows you enjoy the game. Speaking as the player of a Ranger (not an anchor, or a buoy. call me driftwood) I will always vote for most obstacles being able to be bypassed by these hundreds and hundreds of ranks.

...Or magic.

Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/10/2012 07:11 AM CDT
Magdar you are stricken from commenting anymore with your negative posts!

Salt water is easier to swim in because of the salt, it makes you more buoyant.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/10/2012 07:51 AM CDT
Ocean swimming is much more difficult than lake swimming. Period. Currents, wind, waves, and lack of reference points to maintain direction make ocean swimming far more difficult. The crests and troughs of waves alone, besides the added dimension of swells as the sea level rises and falls around you makes ocean swimming extremely difficult.

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/10/2012 08:02 AM CDT
Yes, but we're really not talking about 'open water' situations. We are talking about two somewhat close points. Close enough to be visible to each other, IIRC. If anything the current, swell, and conditions would be safer between two close masses than it would be out in the great blue yonder. Comparing it to the English Channel would seem a more likely assumption, which is completely humanly possible. But still, this is super sidetracked because its been stated too many times over the years that DR and RL don't even go to the same parties.

Again, it would be an awesome addition and make total sense for our characters to be able to do this. If you want to make it 300+ difficulty and throw in monsters (random shark attacks?) to justify it... go ahead. That all sounds fine to me.

Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/10/2012 09:09 AM CDT
Salt water stings my eyes and I cry! See what happens when someone pushes me when I say I do not really care one way or the other?

______
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/10/2012 09:15 AM CDT
>>Salt water stings my eyes and I cry!

It's okay. Me too. :(

Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/11/2012 10:26 PM CDT
<<It's not nearly as far as you're insinuating etc..

I was insinuating (or actually stating) that the swim was shorter than the English Channel in comparison, by a quarter to half the distance.

<<I'm guessing that he suggested the 6-900 ranks in order to swim across is based on the people who are already there because of hunting and need to get across are more likely to have that range of skill and isn't so much based on any realistic ideal of what the current is like or what not. Also, could be that even he doesn't have that amount and is projecting a higher number in order to give him and possibly others a reason to actually train swimming a bit more if it was made like that. Just my guess though.

And Danoryiel hit the nail on the head.

Falker
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/12/2012 02:27 AM CDT
I think those levels of ranks should be saved for things like short-medium distance ocean swimming, and not quiet, 5-minute Galley rides.

But yea, having something to actually use those ranks on would be nice. I honestly can't fathom why the GM's don't jump on this.

I mean, when you literally have the creative license 'in your hands' to do with/justify whatever you want, I could only ask:

Why not?

Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/12/2012 09:17 AM CDT
Because they have to maintain a credible history, balance lore and mechanics and player desires with system limitations, global caps, and other sincere concerns.

Your argument applied to weapons says 'they could make a 'no/no/no dagger that kills in one hit and MLs every weapon pool at once, why don't they?!'

Or to be less trollish, the gms have to go through and approval and writing and testing process. The swim may be in any part of that now and they just haven't mentioned it.
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/12/2012 10:07 AM CDT
Proposals.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Kresh to M'Riss Swimming 07/12/2012 03:43 PM CDT
It should be swimmable. It should be a slightly more difficult swim than the Segoltha. It should have the occasional bloodfish/celpeze.