Shoplifting in Mer'Kresh 08/12/2011 01:36 PM CDT
>>And above all, make the shop stealable.

>>This is always going to be a problem on M'Riss/Mer'Kresh due to the island's lore but that's something for a seperate thread.

That's disappointing to hear. I'd never expect Mer'Kresh to be like Muspar'i but making it at least somewhat viable to train stealing would be great even if it were still more difficult than other areas. What exactly is the lore that supports making the new shop non-stealable? I always figured the only reason I couldn't effectively train stealing out here was lack of shops, not that there was some lore dictating that shops be non-stealable.

~Minstrel Ascot, Bladesinger of M'riss
Re: Shoplifting in Mer'Kresh 08/12/2011 01:43 PM CDT
<<That's disappointing to hear. I'd never expect Mer'Kresh to be like Muspar'i but making it at least somewhat viable to train stealing would be great even if it were still more difficult than other areas. What exactly is the lore that supports making the new shop non-stealable? I always figured the only reason I couldn't effectively train stealing out here was lack of shops, not that there was some lore dictating that shops be non-stealable.

Actually I'm curious about this too. I know that Rissans have a penal colony in their gene pool, and they practice pirate justice, but I'm not sure how that would make stealing impossible.
Re: Shoplifting in Mer'Kresh 08/12/2011 02:11 PM CDT
Short Story -- M'Riss is run by smugglers who many consider more ruthless then the pirates who sail the Reshal Sea, even Hara's baron doesn't cross them. They don't abide anyone dipping their hands in the Council's profits even though the council has their hands in many of the mainland pies.

GM Alvy
Re: Shoplifting in Mer'Kresh 08/12/2011 02:27 PM CDT
<<Short Story -- M'Riss is run by smugglers who many consider more ruthless then the pirates who sail the Reshal Sea, even Hara's baron doesn't cross them. They don't abide anyone dipping their hands in the Council's profits even though the council has their hands in many of the mainland pies.

Any chance a version of this information could be made available to Rissan citizens? Maybe an NPC who'll discuss it with Rissans?
Re: Shoplifting in Mer'Kresh 08/12/2011 02:29 PM CDT
>>Short Story -- M'Riss is run by smugglers who many consider more ruthless then the pirates who sail the Reshal Sea, even Hara's baron doesn't cross them. They don't abide anyone dipping their hands in the Council's profits even though the council has their hands in many of the mainland pies.

Sounds like fun potential RP or possibly unique clan-style justice but it doesn't seem to really explain flat out no-steal. Given the current justice system in Mer'kresh and the fact that most of the current Mer'kresh shops are stealable I'd like to again request that the new weapon shop be stealable. Unless of course the new shop will be located on the actual island of M'riss in which case I understand that there is a mechanical limitation in the justice system that wont allow it.

~Minstrel Ascot, Bladesinger of M'riss
Re: Shoplifting in Mer'Kresh 08/12/2011 02:30 PM CDT
its all very hush-hush. If YOU were a smuggler would you alert the citizenry to the fact?

Its like the thieves guild. They dont want you knowing which guards are on the take.

Explore the Final Frontier - the unknown calls
Re: Shoplifting in Mer'Kresh 08/12/2011 02:35 PM CDT
<<its all very hush-hush. If YOU were a smuggler would you alert the citizenry to the fact?

Uh...most Rissans are well aware of what their siblings, cousins, and families do for a living. Just because they don't necessarily engage in the practice themselves doesn't mean they aren't familiar with it.
Re: Shoplifting in Mer'Kresh 08/12/2011 03:01 PM CDT
There are already NPCs in place that you can get some information from, you can even learn a couple of Rissan swear words from one.

The Rissan Council members are like any other politician if you were to meet one, they certainly aren't going to openly discuss their illegal activities. In public they mingle with nobility and broker deals when it benefits them but things done in private are another story.

M'Riss has never been particularly thief friendly and I don't expect that will change. Some shops may be stealable but it will probably never be a great place to train stealing.

If your main form of income was stealing from others would you want them stealing from you?

GM Alvy
Re: Shoplifting in Mer'Kresh 08/12/2011 05:26 PM CDT
> If your main form of income was stealing from others would you want them stealing from you?

No one wants to be stolen from, but the shops in Crossing are still stealable.
Re: Shoplifting in Mer'Kresh 08/12/2011 05:47 PM CDT
Alvy, got talk to the barb guild leader and ask about a Risti.. there is a weapon for you to sell on M'riss!

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Transcendent Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Shoplifting in Mer'Kresh 08/12/2011 06:27 PM CDT
>No one wants to be stolen from, but the shops in Crossing are still stealable.

Apples and oranges. Crossings main form of income is taxation and (for shops) sales. They aknowledge and punish thieves.

I would imagine shops of a fashion Alvy is describing are run by enterprising pirates, cuthroats, and thieves. And getting caught would result in summary execution, possibly forced penal-colony or long-term institutionalization, and/or harsh torture.

Generally speaking, things which would be loathesome to inflict on players, to the point where, if enacted, people would complain it made enabling stealing in those shops pointless, was too harsh, etc. etc. etc.

Alternate theory: all the goods are locked in cages with the shopkeeper, and you can't get near the goods without getting in the cage.

Please remember: just because a post is 'new to you' doesn't mean we have any idea what you're responding to. Quotes is your friend.
Re: Shoplifting in Mer'Kresh 08/12/2011 06:41 PM CDT
Honestly, I think a more accurate way of viewing it is that the IC response to stealing from pirates and thieves would be on a scale and scope that may go a bit beyond the normal mechanics that some GMs may want to have happen to players.

So, instead of ICly allowing a reasonable act while OOCly disallowing the reasonable response, there was a decision to OOCly disallow the reasonable act in order to keep up the appearance of the properly IC response existing.
Re: Shoplifting in Mer'Kresh 08/12/2011 06:41 PM CDT
So would teaching stealing be considered illegal on Mer'Kresh?

Re: Shoplifting in Mer'Kresh 08/13/2011 07:44 AM CDT
Posts 1106 and 1107 do a good job of explaining the situation. Kudos to those posters!

Why don't people sign their posts!!!!!!

GM Alvy