Here? There? Where? 12/05/2002 05:19 PM CST
O.K. Here goes prolly wrong folder but....

Counter clockwise = Widdershins

Clockwise = Daesil

Can someone fix the Temple? I hate seeing a half done job every time I die. And I die a lot!!

Thanks
Re: Here? There? Where? 12/05/2002 05:29 PM CST
>Can someone fix the Temple? I hate seeing a half done job every time I die. And I die a lot!!

It's not a half done job. They left it like that for a reason. If memory serves, there was a mechanics issue with using both widdershins and daesil.

Qreyq

Come to the Pack House!
http://www.rakashpack.8m.com

Re: Here? There? Where? 12/05/2002 06:06 PM CST
<<If memory serves, there was a mechanics issue with using both widdershins and daesil.>>

I'm pretty sure they said they were going to use "clockwise" and "counterclockwise", but the latter was too long to be used as a direction.
Re: Here? There? Where? 12/05/2002 06:18 PM CST
>I'm pretty sure they said they were going to use "clockwise" and "counterclockwise", but the latter was too long to be used as a direction.

Yep that's why they made it widdershins instead of counterclockwise. They also made it clockwise instead of daecil because it's not common knowledge what daecil and widdershins are, and they didn't want to send people running to dictionary.com. grin It's easy to figure out what widdershins is when it's alongside clockwise.

-Laelia JS
Re: Here? There? Where? 12/06/2002 04:35 PM CST
>> it's not common knowledge what daecil and widdershins are

Aaaaah!
I don't like it when something has to conform to the lowest common denominator (in this case, lack of knowledge). Widdershins and deasil are a strongly linked antonym pair. If I'm talking about left and right, only on a coat of arms, then they're automatically replaced with "sinister" and "dexter." You wouldn't mix and match them. Just my two Kronars.
Incidentally, widdershins is one of my favorite words, along with defenestrate.
--David (Jolebin Swordstaff, Elemancer of Riverhaven)
Re: Here? There? Where? 12/06/2002 06:07 PM CST
>I don't like it when something has to conform to the lowest common denominator (in this case, lack of knowledge). >Widdershins and deasil are a strongly linked antonym pair.

In honest curiousity -- where do you generally see these appear? Because I've known widdershins for years, mostly from various literature, but I had never heard deasil until this discussion came up. You figure that's the same LCD? The reading public not being expected to know deasil? Generally, I see widdershins paired either with clockwise or sunwise.

-Cirissa's player
Re: Here? There? Where? 10/27/2003 01:34 AM CST
Wow, I'm so bored and arrogant, I'm actually responding to a year-old post. Hah.

>"In honest curiousity -- where do you generally see these appear? Because I've known widdershins for years, mostly from various literature, but I had never heard deasil until this discussion came up."

Deasil came two hundred years after Widdershins and from another language (widdershins is german, Deasil is scottish gaelic). It is not usually considered standard english, and has no standard spelling, acordingly. The antonym of Deasil is Tuathal, which has never been used in English much at all.

Widdershins was much more strongly adopted into English, and is considered standard. Its English antonym is sunwise.

And on the subject, the antonym for clockwise is anticlockwise in Brittian. Whee.

So Deasil and Widdershins are not actually paired terms, but someone must have at one point decided they sounded fancy together and begun using them so.

Etymology is cool.

-Robert
Re: Here? There? Where? 10/27/2003 08:48 AM CST
I always thought most folk, in America anyway, who speak english use 'counter-clockwise'

______
I died for Beauty - but was scarce
Adjusted in the Tomb
When One who died for Truth, was lain
In an adjoining Room -
- Emily Dickinson
Re: Here? There? Where? 10/27/2003 05:20 PM CST
Yes, most Americans do use "counter-clockwise" but we can't in those particular mechs for technical reasons. "Sunwise" is good tho! One of these days, I'd love to take Mer'Kresh's weird directionals (I was trying to make it more circular, direction-wise), and have the truly circular directions that some places use. It just hasn't been high on my list of must-do's.