Citizen Perks 06/02/2014 09:23 AM CDT
I can't remember if I posted this before or not, but I ran across it in my game folder so I'm going to post it.

Citizenship in Elanthia is something that I've always felt could use some more work to make it really awesome. There have been some great suggestions over the years, some of which have been put into the game and others not. As it stands now, I feel that many of the areas are lacking in any sort of real value to owning citizenship and paying the upkeep on it. While the ability to ride ferries for free and the extra titles are awesome, I find that they are merely the start of how truly grand the system could be.

So, that all said, here are some suggestions. Some of them you've seen before, like title suggestions, and maybe others you haven't.

1. Affiliation titles available from each city/town/village.

Just like in the Town Hall buildings, a clerk in an office. If you're already a citizen, this NPC can give you a second title for the village they represent. This could either replace your "of Province"/"of Elanthia" title or not. It could also apply to a number of the various clans across the game, but perhaps those might have some secondary requirements that would need to be met before the title was allowed to be accessed. IE: To join Stone Clan, player must be a Dwarf. To join Boar Clan, player must be a Gor'Tog and/or Ranger. etc.

This is one of the longest running suggestions that has been kicked around in this folder for what seems like ever.

2. Items/Shops that promote provincial loyalty.

I've always been super happy with the "customizing" shops like what the Goldsmith in Riverhaven or the Weapons/Clothes in Rossman's Landing. I could see a shop that is like that, which offers a list of items and allows citizens to pick some custom features to apply to a given item, being very popular. Each item could have the provincial crest, but players could choose what item and how it is applied. Some jewelry options could be rings, cloak pins, brooches, armbands, clasps, medallions, etc. Some clothing options could be shirts, vests, belts, cloaks/capes, etc.

Likewise, an engraving shop that can add the provincial symbol to weapons or armor would be something I could see getting quite a lot of work as well as long as it worked with current forged goods. I could see folks lining up to get their sweet damite full plate etched with the symbol of Zoluren, or kertig broadsword bearing the provincial symbol of Therengia.

The "Elathian Travel Tours" shops are great examples of what I would consider "Provincial Shops" and maybe something akin to it could be realeased in more places.

3. Citizen-only vault and banking in remote towns/villages.

I like the idea of the traveller's banks (like in Dirge) and think that this could be something really awesome to add to more areas, limiting their use to citizens of that area only. Likewise a single arch for vault access could be something that might also keep players in those areas.

4. Citizen-only housing areas.

I'm not sure if these are already out there or not. If so, more would be awesome. Likewise, maybe some areas can be updated to fit into this. You're not a citizen, you get to live in middens. You are, fine, welcome to Midton Circle the heart of the city.

That's my current list of suggestions, input from others is welcome as well as sharing of more ideas for ways to improve citizenship perks.

A brief, unbidden thought crosses your mind that you just implicated yourself and Anjinson in the murder of Terald Sanfala. You wonder if anyone will notice.
Re: Citizen Perks 06/02/2014 10:00 AM CDT
I would suggest the introduction of a city with a player-run government. It'd be an ambitious undertaking to implement, but if done well it could be very fun. Maybe some merchant republic somewhere, and all citizens can vote for a president/doge/leader/whatever. The laws of the city, possibly including tax rates (we need more money sinks, don't we? Government officials could put that tax money to "good" use ... of some sort) could all be determined by the players.

Just throwing it out there.
Re: Citizen Perks 06/02/2014 10:04 AM CDT
Vote Starlear for Doge. Such vote, much government, very good. Wow.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: Citizen Perks 06/02/2014 02:27 PM CDT
A few other ideas I have had (some of these are already implemented in some areas).

Benefits:
1) Access to citizen-only establishments in more towns
2) Recognition by the city guards
3) Gates / Barricades open after dark (theren keep drawbridge, palace in Muspar'i, Gear Gate and Shard Gates) and after hours access to some facilities
4) Access to additional home sites. Ideally limiting many or most upper class areas to citizens - which can apply to new home transfers and purchases allowing non-citzens in an area to be grandfathered.
5) Citizen only shops in trader markets
6) Free travel on lifts and ferries between all sites within the jurisdiction.
7) Reduced currency exchange rate (reduced by 3% if 10% or higher and 2 % if less than 10% to a minimum of 5% - or 3% for premium)
8) Public ship captains will gweth to alert you when their ship is about to leave, upon request in all jurisdictions
9) cannot join an order sponsored by a province unless you are a citizen of that province. (yes this is actually a downside)
10) Preferential treatment by auto-empaths (or lower cost or both)
11) More favorable interaction with the justice system (lower fines, more likely to be declared innocent)

Other suggestions:
1) As a plat sink we could also allow multiple citizenships, but multiply the cost of each citizenship buy the number of provinces you already have citizenship (or even squared if you wanted it to get really high). For example if I am a citizen of therengia I would pay 3,150 lirums taxes. If I later became a citizen of Zoluren I would pay 6600 lirums (3,150 x2) and 7000 kronars (3,500 x2) taxes. If I also became a citizen of Velaka I would also pay an additional 9000 lirums (4,500 x 2) but would not have the fees further increased for the others because Velaka is also in Therengia.
2) implement a fee that escalates with circles so that newbies don't pay exorbitant fees and citizenship is not a trivial expense for 200th circle characters. For example, Zoluren could be 1 silver per level per month (which amounts to one plat kronar per month at 100th circle) while Ratha could be 15 bronze (giving 1.5 plat lirum per month at 100th circle).
Re: Citizen Perks 06/02/2014 04:37 PM CDT
Are there any perks for being arrested in your home provence? Id like that as a perk. I already pay dues to this municipality, can the judge cut me a break? Especially if surrendering.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Citizen Perks 06/23/2014 08:14 AM CDT
Late.

Great thinking.

Totally agree.

Criminal activity in your own procaine should result in more penalties not fewer. Do you want your fellow citizens stealing from you? Everyone will hate me (more) but I think X number of times caught in a city should result in exile for Y amount of time - even if it's tiny.
Re: Citizen Perks 06/23/2014 08:15 AM CDT
province.
Re: Citizen Perks 06/23/2014 08:17 AM CDT
Now that's a freudian slip and a half.
Re: Citizen Perks 06/23/2014 08:53 AM CDT
lol

:-/
Re: Citizen Perks 06/23/2014 04:44 PM CDT
<exile for Y amount of time

I'm also in favor of reactivating the town pillory. I do miss throwing tomatoes at people. Maybe even have a town crier announce to everyone in the city whenever someone is being put in the stocks, so we know when to come and laugh?
Re: Citizen Perks 06/23/2014 06:38 PM CDT
Stocks exists. It's used for certain combinations of level/fine. Go make a new thief and get caught stealing, plead guilty.

I only mention it because this isn't the first time you've mentioned it.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Citizen Perks 06/23/2014 07:30 PM CDT
Huh. Thought they were taken out. Haven't seen'em in forever! I'll experiment. Thanks! :)
Re: Citizen Perks 06/23/2014 07:39 PM CDT
I was in there this morning.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html