Ain Ghazal 09/25/2006 02:21 AM CDT
I hope you enjoy Ain Ghazal! Many more places and activities are planned, but could not be completed in time for the big opening. There will be more hunting areas, a meditation garden, additional docks, areas for challenging swimming, and the carillon will actually be played for Visitors.

Yes, when I saw people dragging rocks the first night I drastically reduced the roundtime. And I deleted those messy abandoned rocks! Remember, you also have the option to climb straight up to the Chateau.

The entry point of the Ain Ghazal Chateau is less than 4000 feet above sea level. It extends far above that, but snow is somewhat unusual even at the Chateau's heights.

As for who built Ain Ghazal, look at the statues in the Great Hall for inspiration. Certainly a great deal was accomplished long ago by Dwarves and Gor'Togs. Certainly the River Elves facilitated trade early on with their skiffs. Also in the planning stages are a couple of books about Ain Ghazal.

Here's some general information about Ain Ghazal:
Ain Ghazal Island is often called the "Gateway to Forfedhdar". Visitors take a skiff from River Clan to Ain Ghazal (and then a ferry to the Haalikshal Highway, Hibarnhvidar, and the rest of Forfedhdar). The Chateau is a sanctuary surrounded by vineyards, from which are made the finest brandies and wines in all Kermoria. Located near the center of the four mainland provinces, and with a philosophy of neutrality, it has often served as a meeting site during treaty negotiations among the continent's political leaders. Facilities include a banquet room, ballroom, library, council chamber with four audience balconies, amphitheater, music conservatory, meeting rooms, bell tower with carillon, kitchens, dining halls, and dormitories. The Ain Ghazal Auberge offers lodging, a restaurant, mineral baths, and a few shops. Additionally, the island provides a locksmith, Trading outpost and stables, premium banking services, and cave troll caverns. In the future there will be a meditation garden, Empath Gwendolyn, swimming, additional docks, additional shops, and more hunting areas.
Re: Ain Ghazal 09/25/2006 02:25 AM CDT
>>I hope you enjoy Ain Ghazal!

I wasn't able to stick around long since it seemed every place I went was urban and I didn't want to be braying. But what I did see I loved! I loved being the first to the Chateau because I could climb up and avoid all the roundtimes, that was really a great time.

>>Many more places and activities are planned, but could not be completed in time for the big opening. There will be more hunting areas, a meditation garden, additional docks, areas for challenging swimming, and the carillon will actually be played for Visitors.

That sounds great! I'm even holding out some hope that those "challenging swimming" areas will be a way to bypass the skiff and the ferry. Or swim up from Ain to the Crossing docks. Would be fantastic!

But thanks for keeping us updated. A great area with plans to get even better. I can't wait!

-Teeklin

"You take people, you put them on a journey, you give them peril, you find out who they really are. If there's any kind of fiction better than that, I don't know what it is." -Joss Whedon
Re: Ain Ghazal 09/25/2006 07:24 AM CDT
I really like Ain Ghazal, the additions sound great. As a minor suggestion, it might be nice to have a low level(around goblins) area out there in case someone young manages to get looted on their way out there, or while waiting for a boat. Unless there is some other way to get money or off the island already that I didn't notice.
Re: Ain Ghazal 09/25/2006 07:55 AM CDT
I second FYRETHORNE's comments. I love the place, love the atmosphere. But, the thought did cross my mind, "What if someone who can't fight cave trolls gets robbed blind here? They'd be trapped until someone walks past and is nice enough to give them money."

Kurako, who got a nose-bleed climbing up the mountain (hey, 4000 feet is a LOT when you're only 2 foot tall!)
Re: Ain Ghazal 09/25/2006 09:31 AM CDT
Yay Ain Ghazal!

Trebber

It is intended to be a game, and while it never made sense for me to be able to bounce across the rainbow road or whatever it was called when I played Candyland, it never stopped me from doing it and enjoying the game.
Re: Ain Ghazal 09/25/2006 10:24 AM CDT
<<As for who built Ain Ghazal, look at the statues in the Great Hall for inspiration. Certainly a great deal was accomplished long ago by Dwarves and Gor'Togs.>>

I saw the statue of the Rose Maiden. And there's mention of Sisters who stay there. Was this a sanctuary for the Rose Clan?

Also...been trying to figure out what Ain Ghazal translates to. Anyone know?

Thanks!

Ahri

Donalisa says to Gylee, "love stinks"

Margrethe says to Donalisa, "You should bury them further from your window, or upwind or something."
Re: Ain Ghazal 09/25/2006 03:42 PM CDT
I too love Ain Ghazal. Even though I only went up there because I didn't know that the ferry was there on the same level as the skiff... So I spent three hours just exploring things and getting thoroughly lost. Truly fun area, and I can't wait to see what the rest of the place is going to look like.

And if there was a real gem in there, it must have been found before I got there.

Amagaim; the player of,

I divide my time as follows: half the time I sleep, the other half I dream. I never dream when I sleep, for that would be a pity, for sleeping is the highest accomplishment of genius.
--- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Ain Ghazal 09/25/2006 10:30 PM CDT
I found it, it was in the locksmith's shop behind the plant, oh happy day! Everyone else in the room was terribly jealous.
Ain Ghazal request 09/26/2006 10:05 AM CDT
Well didn't get any response before, but might of got lost with all the other posts.

Figure ask here now that folder for it. If anyone who has enough climbing could get me the information that missing for the map it would be helpful, referring to being able to finish linking the climbs to what goes to what room.

My 180ish climbing just don't cut it.

Brabs
brablo@gmail.com

Non Rangers practice a unique methode of locating people and places in cities......We ask directions - Mendasity
Re: Ain Ghazal 09/26/2006 10:58 AM CDT
I love this place, great urban location/creatures. More survival training coming down the pipe (swimming, more shops?) Might want a room in the chateau!
Re: Ain Ghazal request 09/27/2006 12:09 AM CDT
Brabs I'll try to do it this weekend and take notes for you. I did climb the slopes and so on and ended up at the chateau every time. I'll take note of the climbs for you. But at the end of every climb you were on the road going up there.

Bluefalcon
Re: Ain Ghazal 09/27/2006 07:00 AM CDT
>great urban location/creatures

Which reminds me, I failed to check to see how this area showed up for Rangers, anyone know if it's negative, neutral, or positive? Sounds like negative to me if it's urban...

Kurako
Re: Ain Ghazal request 09/27/2006 07:52 AM CDT
>>But at the end of every climb you were on the road going up there.

Yeah knew was on road there, just don't know which connects to which.

Thanks.

Brabs

Non Rangers practice a unique methode of locating people and places in cities......We ask directions - Mendasity
Re: Ain Ghazal request 09/29/2006 01:21 PM CDT
Brabs here is the climb from the South most part of the climbing on Ain Ghazal. There's 4 points NSEW that you can climb, you need the north climb too? I will post the EW climbs shortly.

Bluefalcon
First the climbs up.

look
[Ain Ghazal, River Road]
The south fork of the Segoltha River surges steadily eastward. Compared to the aspects of the river on the other three sides of Ain Ghazal, the flow is deep and calm. The South Dock, perpetually busy with ferry traffic, extends south from River Road. The road itself curves northeast and northwest, and a steep slope leads upward. You also see a steep slope.
Obvious paths: northeast, south, northwest.

put cli slope

[Ain Ghazal, Spiral Road]
The Spiral Road begins its journey here, some distance above the river, and continues in a counter-clockwise coil up to the chateau. Downhill to the northwest it connects with the River Road. A steep slope leads straight down to the river and the South Dock, where ferries carrying passengers, caravans, and cargo hustle back and forth. Overhead is a sheer cliff. You also see a long narrow building of pristine white marble with a wide stable door.
Obvious paths: up, down.

put cli cliff

About halfway between the river below and the chateau above, this location provides a panorama of mountains, forests, and the Segoltha River to the south. The South Dock is always busy with ferry traffic between Ain Ghazal Island and the Haalikshaal Highway on the southern shore of the river. The perpendicular escarpment above looks like a very difficult climb, and the sheer cliff below does not seem much easier.

put cli escarp

This area offers an excellent perspective of the forested mountain ranges to the south. Three more loops of the road are visible farther down the side of the island, and the ferries are busy moving traffic between the South Dock and the Haalikshaal Highway across the river. In the distance to the southwest, the massive bulk of Mount Hibarnhvidar is visible. A precipice looms above the road, and on the other side of the road an escarpment may be a difficult shortcut to the section of road just below. You also see a small limestone building.

cli prec

The vast forested expanses of the Himineldar Shel lie to the south. Miles of obscuring atmosphere between each range of mountains make it appear that each row of mountains is floating slightly above and beyond the nearer mountains. To the southwest looms the colossal eminence of Mount Hibarnhvidar. This road curves down to the northwest and up to some iron gates in the northeast. Directly below, an overhanging precipice blocks most of the view of the other southern sectors of the Spiral Road.

up

The gravel road that spirals down to the river and the docks passes through tall iron gates to the west. Beyond the gates, where the chateau looms, the gravel is replaced with fitted flagstone. To the east, the vigorous Segoltha River continues its journey toward River Clan and the Reshal Sea beyond. An overhanging precipice directly below blocks most of the view of the other eastern segments of this road.
Obvious paths: down.

The room descriptions are the same going down. The climbs are:

move down

put cli prec

put cli escarp

put cli cliff

put cli slope
Re: Ain Ghazal request 09/29/2006 02:21 PM CDT
Ok here's the climb up the east slope there.

Bluefalcon

[Ain Ghazal, River Road]
The well-built and durable East Pier connects to River Road at this spot. Skiffs take the public to and from River Clan, loading and unloading people, animals and commodities on the wide, dimly lit pier. This road arcs to the northwest and southwest, and a steep slope leads upward.
Obvious paths: east, southwest, northwest.

>cli slope

A steep slope leads down to the River Road at its intersection with the East Pier. The steady activity of passengers, skiffs, small boats, crates, barrels, and packages continues through the night. A sheer cliff leads upward.

>cli cliff

Visible from this location are the lights of the East Pier and the lit skiffs moving downstream and upstream, to and from River Clan. The perpendicular escarpment above might be suitable for expert climbers, and a sheer cliff leads down to the segment of the road directly below.

>cli escarp

The distant lights of the East Pier and the skiffs it services are visible from this vantage. A precipice juts out overhead, and a perpendicular escarpment lies between this section of the road and the section immediately below.

>cli prec

The gravel road that spirals down to the river and docks becomes a fitted flagstone avenue beyond the gates to the west, where the partially lit chateau looms. A low roar reverberates from the river, but an overhanging precipice directly below blocks the view of the rest of the island.
Obvious paths: down.
>
cli prec

The distant lights of the East Pier and the skiffs it services are visible from this vantage. A precipice juts out overhead, and a perpendicular escarpment lies between this section of the road and the section immediately below.

>cli escarp

Visible from this location are the lights of the East Pier and the lit skiffs moving downstream and upstream, to and from River Clan. The perpendicular escarpment above might be suitable for expert climbers, and a sheer cliff leads down to the segment of the road directly below.

>cli cliff

A steep slope leads down to the River Road at its intersection with the East Pier. The steady activity of passengers, skiffs, small boats, crates, barrels, and packages continues through the night. A sheer cliff leads upward.

>cli slope

[Ain Ghazal, River Road]
The well-built and durable East Pier connects to River Road at this spot. Skiffs take the public to and from River Clan, loading and unloading people, animals and commodities on the wide, dimly lit pier. This road arcs to the northwest and southwest, and a steep slope leads upward.
Obvious paths: east, southwest, northwest.
>
Re: Ain Ghazal request 09/29/2006 02:27 PM CDT
And here's the west climb.

Bluefalcon

[Ain Ghazal, River Road]
The Segoltha water that crashes deafeningly against Ain Ghazal rock renders the surface of the road damp and fills the air with a fine mist. A moist cliff leads uphill.
Obvious paths: northeast, southeast, up.

>cli cliff

The roar of the river is reminiscent of a powerful waterfall. The road, which leads up to the southeast and down to the northeast, may be a longer journey between the docks and the chateau, but it appears to be much safer than attempting to climb the perpendicular escarpment above or the sheer cliff below.

cli escarp

The crash of the river against the foot of the island thunders through the air. You also see an overhanging precipice and a perpendicular escarpment.

>cli prec

The roar of the river is especially loud on the west side of Ain Ghazal. Directly below, an overhanging precipice blocks the view of the rest of the island.
>peer up

You peer up and see ...

The road curves down to the northwest and up to some iron gates in the northeast. Directly below, an overhanging precipice blocks the view of the rest of the island.

(No climb's after this its up twice.)

>cli prec

The crash of the river against the foot of the island thunders through the air. You also see an overhanging precipice and a perpendicular escarpment.

>cli escarp

The roar of the river is reminiscent of a powerful waterfall. The road, which leads up to the southeast and down to the northeast, may be a longer journey between the docks and the chateau, but it appears to be much safer than attempting to climb the perpendicular escarpment above or the sheer cliff below.

>cli cliff

[Ain Ghazal, River Road]
The Segoltha water that crashes deafeningly against Ain Ghazal rock renders the surface of the road damp and fills the air with a fine mist. A moist cliff leads uphill.
Obvious paths: northeast, southeast, up.
>
Re: Ain Ghazal request 10/06/2006 02:08 AM CDT
Awesome place. I just hope there were will be some sort of housing somewhere close (by close I mean on Ain Ghazal itself)!

Medir
Ain Ghazal Chataeu and more 02/03/2007 07:06 PM CST
Does anyone know anything about the owners of the chateau, the history of Ain Ghazal, its politics... anything?

Kraelyst the Hand

"The day is for honest men, the night for thieves."
-- Euripides

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
Re: Ain Ghazal Chataeu and more 02/04/2007 03:36 AM CST
>Does anyone know anything about the owners of the chateau, the history of Ain Ghazal, its politics... anything?

Unfortunately, the powers that be did not include any Recall History spots for Bards in P5. I think it had something to do with the way the ability eats CPU cycles like they're candy. I think.

Aveda's Field Guide
http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com
Hot hot hot scripts, Antique P5 maps, a macro tutorial, skill & stat training advice, and plenty of Bardly goodness.
Reckus and Reckus NB updated: 11/29/2006 Do you have the latest version?
Re: Ain Ghazal Chataeu and more 02/04/2007 09:51 AM CST
There are hints in items you can find in the chateau itself. Lots and lots of things you can interact with in there.
_____
Mists and Magic, Ocean Breezes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Re: Ain Ghazal Chataeu and more 02/07/2007 04:29 PM CST
I could never figure out how to turn on the bath spouts- anyone care to clue me in?
Re: Ain Ghazal Chataeu and more 02/07/2007 06:59 PM CST
>>I could never figure out how to turn on the bath spouts- anyone care to clue me in?

It was something pretty simple. I think maybe RUB?

Kraelyst the Hand

-- Euripides

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
Possible to sail to Ain Ghazal yet? 09/10/2007 12:24 AM CDT
Rather, I understand it may be possible to manually sail to the dock as I vaguely recall reading stories here about a dock being completed and a first ship docking there, but can the automated pilot complete the journey?
Re: Possible to sail to Ain Ghazal yet? 09/10/2007 12:36 AM CDT
<<Rather, I understand it may be possible to manually sail to the dock as I vaguely recall reading stories here about a dock being completed and a first ship docking there, but can the automated pilot complete the journey?

Yes, but it takes about 45 minutes or so from the Crossing docks. Not sure of the exact time because I kinda dozed off halfway through the trip... Its faster to dock at Alfren's and run down through Shard and then to the Hib-Ain ferry to get there.

-Evran

<<It is important to remember that the one single and solitary common thing that is shared by the myraid of things that annoy you and tick you off and make you upset...is you. --Solomon
Re: Possible to sail to Ain Ghazal yet? 09/10/2007 12:23 PM CDT
HEHEHE, Ohhh man, and to think I was almost there. Every other boat trip is so darn fast, I got to about 40 minutes into the trip last night and just gave up. Oh well.

Thanks for the update! I'll have to try again another night.
Re: Possible to sail to Ain Ghazal yet? 09/16/2007 01:00 PM CDT
Navigating the rivers is definitely the slowest thing for a ship to do, so going up the Faldesu to Riverhaven is very time consuming as is going up the Segoltha to Ain Ghazal. So I never sail to Riverhaven unless I'm planning to use my ship to ferry between Haven and Throne City for a while.

Legendary Thief Kraelyst the Hand

-- Euripides
Re: Possible to sail to Ain Ghazal yet? 09/29/2007 08:07 AM CDT
Is there a dock at Ilaya? Looking for the fastest and best way to go from the Islands to Hib.
Re: Possible to sail to Ain Ghazal yet? 09/29/2007 08:19 AM CDT
>>Is there a dock at Ilaya? Looking for the fastest and best way to go from the Islands to Hib.

At this point, you should be able to sail to and dock at Ain Ghazal.

Player of a few too many

Pol-i-tics (pol-i-tiks) n. 1. "Poli" meaning many. 2. "Tics" meaning blood-sucking insects.
Re: Possible to sail to Ain Ghazal yet? 09/29/2007 08:51 AM CDT
<<At this point, you should be able to sail to and dock at Ain Ghazal.

Correct. However, its definitely not the fastest way to reach Hib by a long margin, since boats take forever to travel up the river to reach the dock at Ain Ghazal. Instead, dock at Alfren's and take the land route down to Shard then to Raven's Point and from there to Hibarnvidar.

-Evran

<<It is important to remember that the one single and solitary common thing that is shared by the myraid of things that annoy you and tick you off and make you upset...is you. --Solomon
Re: Possible to sail to Ain Ghazal yet? 09/29/2007 06:48 PM CDT
>>dock at Alfren's and take the land route down to Shard then to Raven's Point and from there to Hibarnvidar.

Of course, it needs to be said that this is the least saft method as it requires some dangerous hunting grounds.

Player of a few too many

Pol-i-tics (pol-i-tiks) n. 1. "Poli" meaning many. 2. "Tics" meaning blood-sucking insects.
Re: Possible to sail to Ain Ghazal yet? 09/29/2007 10:21 PM CDT
If you keep moving, nothing is ever able to touch you and in fact nothing along the trail generates fast enough to prevent investigative work. Of course, there's absolutely no reason to dump yourself into any RT at all along the entire trail other than the phantom RT forced upon you by the ferry.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Possible to sail to Ain Ghazal yet? 09/29/2007 11:22 PM CDT
There's the two room swim through Gryphons which gives RT, and while its not RT there's the forced slow crawl through the icy Himineldar Shel pass where bears are known to roam.

-Evran

Re: Possible to sail to Ain Ghazal yet? 09/29/2007 11:27 PM CDT
>while its not RT there's the forced slow crawl through the icy Himineldar Shel pass where bears are known to roam.

If you step carefully you can actually go much faster.
Re: Possible to sail to Ain Ghazal yet? 09/29/2007 11:34 PM CDT
And the bears aren't on the icy road.
Re: Possible to sail to Ain Ghazal yet? 09/30/2007 12:32 AM CDT
I've seen em there I think... or at least somewhere close to it. Granted they are rare sightings. The gryphons have caused much more stress when passing through since there's usually a ton due to it being a popular spot.

-Evran

Re: Possible to sail to Ain Ghazal yet? 09/30/2007 10:27 AM CDT
>>There's the two room swim through Gryphons which gives RT, and while its not RT there's the forced slow crawl through the icy Himineldar Shel pass where bears are known to roam.

They don't, or it's about as often as the wind hounds/reavers on the NTR going past the Silverwater Mine.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html