Good shootin, Tex 06/06/2003 02:09 PM CDT
I remember one of the coolest things I saw back in the days of school was a video of a fully armored night mounted on a horse trotting through high grass. This peasant looking loser jumps from the side of the road on his knee, and fires a long muzzled musket at the night. The ball just plinked off his armor and the night was like "whats up?" and thrashed on the peasant with a spiked mace from his horse.
I think the introduction of muskets would be verra cool.
them having multiple components to be used
the musket, a flint which would wear, powder(or whatever, naptha grind, crystal Nap)
pushy brush thingy

fill musket with horn
you tip your powder horn to fill your musket, spilling some in the process rt 12
push musket with pushy brush thingy
you use your pushy brush thingy to compact the powder in the base of the musket rt 6
put ball in musk
you drop your tiny steel ball down the muzzle of the musket

aim vorclaf
you feel you have your best shot possible now
shoot vorclaf
you burst from hiding and fire
moving poorly, your fire a musket at vorclaf, vorclaf fails to evade, leaning wrong and blundering into the blow, the steel ball plinks harmlessly off his armor.

Vorclaf says "Whats up?"
Vorclaf bashes your face off with his spiked flail

Look into my eyes and know fear..
Re: Good shootin, Tex 06/06/2003 04:49 PM CDT
>shoot vorclaf
>you burst from hiding and fire
>moving poorly, your fire a musket at vorclaf, vorclaf fails to evade, leaning wrong and blundering into the blow, the steel ball plinks harmlessly off his armor.

>Vorclaf says "Whats up?"
>Vorclaf bashes your face off with his spiked flail

LOL! that was totally hilarious!
Re: Good shootin, Tex 06/27/2003 03:06 PM CDT
'xcept the steel ball would open the guys armor like a can-opener on canned-spam.

Trust me, I'd know this, I belong to a Rennaisance Re-Enactment group. We're centered between 1500 and 1590. Called the Newcastle Light Infantrie. We're a Companie of eastern European infantrymen of shot and steel.

Ellriic

~ I will Always be Elriic to this world regardless of what decisions are made by the Gods. ::snorts in annoynance::
Re: Good shootin, Tex 06/29/2003 12:53 AM CDT
<< 'xcept the steel ball would open the guys armor like a can-opener on canned-spam.

Later plate armor often had breastplates made heavy enough to resist projectiles from 'hand-gonnes' (hand cannons) and matchlocks; some even came with a deliberate dent that was caused by a proofing shot. The remainder of the armor could not be strengthened to the same degree due to weight considerations. I've read conflicting accounts concerning helms and head/neck armor strengthening for resistance to firearm projectiles.

Steel ball? In a hand-cannon or matchlock? I guess its possible but steel/iron was quite valuable to have been used in such a fashion. Also, while lead balls could be molded fairly easily, the tech to easily manufacture decently uniform steel projectiles wasn't really available then.

The guns themselves were hardly uniform, thanks to the relatively crude manufacturing techniques available to the makers back then. A steel/iron projectile would either have to be decidely undersize (so it would fit into any of a collection of guns) or would have to be made in multiple sizes, or would require inconsistent wadding. Also, such projectiles could hardly have been made in the field, whereas lead projectiles could be made from any expedient source using an iron pot and dipper, since its melt point is low enough and casting molds far more likely to be available than machine tools and/or foundries for steel.

If you have specific references to the uses of steel shot in man-portable firearms of that timeframe, I'd love to hear about them. It'd be especially interesting to see how they made them, and how they dealt with the issues that seem to present themselves.

Thanks!

Glenlivet
Re: Good shootin, Tex 07/07/2003 09:00 PM CDT
I can do better,

Although the weapons we use are reproductions, great care was taken to make sure that the weapons were created with authenticity in mind.

Just for kicks, while we were at a shooting range, we loaded up a volley and set it loose. It caused quite a stir.

The cannons we use would rip appart any knight in armor on the first or second volley.

We practice a very famous end over end maneuver involving 10 gunners and 10 spearmen.

The spearm men come forward in a defensive posture while the gunners reload and lock and prepare match. the gunners in a leapfrog staggered motion, move forward 10 feet, drop to one knee take aim at the lumboxes and SMASH. The spearmen charge forward and charge through the middle to open a hole in the main forces.

Since we are a mercenary force, typically whomever paid us would then charge through the hole we created in the enemy flank or mainline.

Ellriic

~ I will Always be Elriic to this world regardless of what decisions are made by the Gods. ::snorts in annoynance::

~ For the Balance!