So about those hangers... 02/22/2003 03:42 PM CST
So they're basically cutlasses?
Re: So about those hangers... 02/22/2003 04:14 PM CST
I do believe that hangers are just another term for "short hunting blade". I've seen 'em straight bladed, slightly curved inwards, various hilt angles, etc.

~Solareth's puppeteer.

"Howdy, Squishy! We are here to vomit language with the young man that lives in this shelter unit!"
Re: So about those hangers... 02/22/2003 07:18 PM CST
I've seen a picture of one of these before. It's similiar to a scimitar on more deeply curved if I recall correctly.

-Lequil

"Preventive War is like committing suicide for fear of death."

--Otto Von Bismarck
Re: So about those hangers... 02/26/2003 01:34 PM CST
I've seen several versions of these as well - the one that instantly comes to mind is like the old 'calvary swords' from the 1800's.

I have a good book at home that shows lots of different versions of these - if anyone is interested, when I get home I'll post the name of the book.

Greg
~player of many
Re: So about those hangers... 02/27/2003 12:17 AM CST
::raises his hand::
I'm intrested.
Re: So about those hangers... 02/27/2003 07:32 AM CST
Here's the name of the book:

Weapons: An International Encyclopedia from 5000 B.C. to 2000 A.D.

Here's a link to it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0312039506/qid=1046356055/sr=1-11/ref=sr_1_11/104-4231908-0451101?v=glance&s=books

It has a ton of illustrations and some basic information about certain weapons. It's a very good general book if you're interested in seeing different weapons. It'll tell you things like where certain weapons originated from.

I highly recommend it if you're looking for the basics.

Hope it helps 8-)

~Greg
player of many
Re: So about those hangers... 02/27/2003 05:03 PM CST
>> Weapons: An International Encyclopedia from 5000 B.C. to 2000 A.D. <<

That's one of my favorites, along with THE CROSSBOW, by Sir Ralph Payne-Gallwey; THE ARMOURER AND HIS CRAFT from the XI to the XVIth Century by Charles ffoulkes; and THE BOOK OF THE SWORD, by Richard F. Burton. The last two are Dover Publications reprinted books and very reasonably priced.

Meriel
Re: So about those hangers... 02/28/2003 07:07 AM CST
Thanks Meriel :)

I'm going to have check those out - especially since I'm working on trying to find more information about the various armor pieces and their origins. THE CROSSBOW book sounds intriguing, I'll have to check that one out as well.

Have any other recommendations for some light reading this weekend? ;)

~Greg
player of many
Re: So about those hangers... 04/22/2003 09:34 PM CDT
<<So they're basically cutlasses?>>

<<I do believe that hangers are just another term for "short hunting blade". I've seen 'em straight bladed, slightly curved inwards, various hilt angles, etc.>>

<<I've seen a picture of one of these before. It's similiar to a scimitar on more deeply curved if I recall correctly.>>

The weapon known as the "cutlass" by pirates and other seafaring folk was also used on land and called a "cuttoe" or "hanger" by landlubbing warriors. It's simply the case of one weapon being used by different groups of people and called different names.

Cutlasses are not similar to scimitars at all except in cursory visual examination. Cutlasses are chopping swords, with thick, wide and slightly curved blades attached to a hand guard or some form of basket-hilt. They are heavy weapons, as heavier swords lend more power to chopping attacks.

Scimitars have long, slender, deeply curved blades. They are drawing weapons, and are best used when placed against the skin and snapped back quickly to open wounds. In fact, the curve of a scimitar's blade is supposed to match the natural curve of the wrist when performing these attacks, to make it easier to wield them as an extension of the arm. Scimitars are lightweight, relying on a keen edge and dextrous manipulation to deal damage instead of power and weight.

~Vraniss McCeoleth~
Re: So about those hangers... 06/03/2003 03:11 AM CDT
scimitars were actually horsemen's blades, the reason for the curving was to be able to hold a longer amount of blade in a smaller overall space and stroke when swung. one heavy edged I'd like to see is a shamshir, which is a big scimitar. I'd really like to see scythes as pikes tho.

Look into my eyes and know fear..
Re: So about those hangers... 06/03/2003 12:22 PM CDT
>>one heavy edged I'd like to see is a shamshir,

There are Shamshirs in game....Dunno if they med heavy or two handers though....
Re: So about those hangers... 06/05/2003 11:14 AM CDT
An acid-etched shamshir with a black onyx grip and gilded guard - 231097 - ME. Sold only once (I think) twice at the most, by Edword. Think that price is in Lirums, too. Only shamshir I've ever heard of tho.
Re: So about those hangers... 06/05/2003 11:55 AM CDT
>tap sham
You tap an acid-etched shamshir with a black onyx grip and gilded guard that you are holding.

>draw sham
You draw out your shamshir from the weapon harness.
>app sham

It is a medium edged type weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
poor puncture damage
moderate slice damage
poor impact damage

You are certain that the shamshir is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the shamshir is moderately strong, and is in pristine condition.

The shamshir is made with metal.
The shamshir feels pretty light.
You are certain that the shamshir is worth exactly 166759 dokoras.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

>look sham
A slender blade etched with foliate scrollwork curves from point to hilt. The shamshir's ornate gilded guard and black onyx inlaid grip continue the blade's motif with grotesque leafy forms that incorporate visages of legendary warriors amongst the twisting foliage.
Re: So about those hangers... 06/06/2003 01:42 PM CDT
I do recall that shamshir...thats why I said one heavy edged i'd like to see...

Look into my eyes and know fear..