oben! 04/14/2002 09:30 PM CDT
what do they look like, and why?

~Mek
Re: oben! 04/15/2002 04:58 AM CDT
Isn't that a protectionvest against rain and wind?

Tiuri, forever wondering.
Re: oben! 10/04/2002 07:47 AM CDT
"Oben" doesn't mean anything, except "over" in German. What I wonder is how they came up with "misericorde", which is that support that comes up from under the bench in a church, so when you're standing there forever you can put the bench up the misericord will brace your legs.
Re: oben! 10/04/2002 11:10 AM CDT
From Dictionary.com

misericord or misericorde Pronunciation Key (mzr--krd, m-zr-)
n.

Relaxation of monastic rules, as a dispensation from fasting.
The room in a monastery used by monks who have been granted such a dispensation.
A bracket attached to the underside of a hinged seat in a church stall against which a standing person may lean. Also called miserere.
A narrow dagger used in medieval times to deliver the death stroke to a seriously wounded knight.

[Middle English, pity, from Old French, from Latin misericordia, from misericors, misericord-, merciful : miserr, to feel pity; see miserere + cor, cord-, heart; see kerd- in Indo-European Roots.]
Word History: A dagger, a support for someone who is standing, and a special monastic apartment share the same name because, oddly enough, they are all examples of mercy. The word misericord goes back to Latin misericordia, “mercy,” derived from misericors, “merciful,” which is in turn derived from miserr, “to pity,” and cor, “heart.” In Medieval Latin the word misericordia denoted various merciful things, and these senses were borrowed into English. Misericordia referred to an apartment in a monastery where certain relaxations of the monastic rule were allowed, especially those involving food and drink. The word also designated a projection on the underside of a hinged seat in a choir stall against which a standing person could lean, no doubt a merciful thing during long services. Finally, misericordia was used for a dagger with which the death stroke was administered to a seriously wounded knight.

Heironymous
Re: oben! 10/04/2002 12:35 PM CDT
Well shiver me timbers. Thanks, good find. Etymology's interesting ain't it?
Re: oben! 10/04/2002 06:26 PM CDT
Me guess if we being updatin' da name of da miesercorde, it be called da Kavorkian blade.
Re: oben! 11/21/2002 05:38 PM CST
"Obend" is 'open' in German. What you were thinking of was "uber", which is 'over'.

At least, if I remember correctly. ;P

~S