Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/11/2010 03:24 PM CDT
Just giving this topic a new home...

Awesome games I've played in the last year to two, to such a point that I don't have enough time for gaming. Many of these also have absurd replay value.

Starcraft 2
Mass Effect 2
Dragon Age
League of Legends
Batman - Arkham Asylum

There are more I've played, but those are the highlights by far.

Other recommendations?

-Raesh
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/11/2010 03:36 PM CDT
Besides Sims, I've been a fan of Medieval Total War, Medieval Total War 2 for ages.

And of course, the Civ series, even though CivIV somehow fell flat for me.

__
AIM: Ysselt
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/11/2010 03:36 PM CDT
>absurd replay value.

Advent Rising on old school xbox. The story is by Orson Scott Card and was slated as a trilogy, but only one was released with a cliff hanger ending. I still play every once in a while.

League of Legends for sure.

~Sulakhan

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/11/2010 03:42 PM CDT
>Starcraft 2
>Mass Effect 2
>Dragon Age
>League of Legends
>Batman - Arkham Asylum>

Of these I've only played DA:0, but I'm currently finishing God of War II after I put it down for a year and a half, and that's fun. I have GoW III sitting on my table which I look forward to playing as soon as the summer semester ends, and I'm already dying to play Portal 2 because Portal was super-addictively fun, so I'd add those to the list.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/11/2010 03:53 PM CDT
Great list. Also:

- Dead Space
- Alan Wake
- Red Dead Redemption

~Jalich
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/11/2010 03:54 PM CDT
I'm enjoying this one:

http://s1.sfgame.us/index.php?rec=120283

Also playing FF XIII at the moment.

Solomon

Be our Facebook Pal!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/DragonRealms/60215414412
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/11/2010 03:57 PM CDT
>Also playing FF XIII at the moment.

I've been playing that too, but I was pretty underwhelmed by it until Chapter 11. Compared to many of the other in the series, especially 7, 8, and 10, I've felt the story is pretty "meh".

~Jalich
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/11/2010 04:17 PM CDT
I'm addicted to super street fighter 4 - but i know that's not for everyone.

An old cranky ogre with no legs says, "Naarg wives all this Naarg wives now."
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/11/2010 05:52 PM CDT
I've been spending unhealthy amounts of time playing Europa Universalis 3 lately.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/11/2010 05:55 PM CDT
Sid meiers pirates!

On a whim...: http://www.lostonawhim.com/

The Zoluren army asks, "We're um.... really sorry about the clubhouse and all... so uh... are we cool?"
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/11/2010 06:02 PM CDT
I'm not quite sure how this thread has gone without mentions to Assassin's Creed or the new Fallout revitalization. Especially with both these hits getting new releases in the next few months.
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/11/2010 06:05 PM CDT
>>I'm not quite sure how this thread has gone without mentions to Assassin's Creed or the new Fallout revitalization. Especially with both these hits getting new releases in the next few months.

I picked up Assassin's Creed during the Steam sale last month. Mixed feelings about it, though it was overall enjoyable.

Assassin's Creed was polished to a mirror shine, but soulless. The plot was uninspired and the gameplay intensely repetitive -- once you've done your first assassination, you basically repeat the exact same procedure seven more times, only getting relief from the formulaic gameplay during the endgame.

Despite that, the combat is enjoyable, the plot's framing device left me more interested than the plot itself, and the middle eastern setting was done better and less offensively than I imagined.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/11/2010 06:07 PM CDT
I've been wasting my time at work with www.web-lords.com

At home it's been SC2

__
* Sahfra was just struck down!
Tachid smugly says, "I'm telling Lyras. We should replace you.
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/11/2010 06:50 PM CDT
Assassin's Creed 2 is a major improvement over the first one, primarily in dumping those information gathering tasks, or making them into optional side quests.

The mechanics are still great, with some new ones added, and still a good story. (Even if it gets kind of crazy.)

Also, Fallout 3 is awesome, and I'm looking forward to New Vegas. Got my preorder of the collector's edition ready and waiting.

- Miskton
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/11/2010 08:45 PM CDT
Fallout 3 was a great surprise for me and I still play it now and again. I just finished Mass Effect 1 and 2 since I somehow missed them when they came out...fantastic game. I'm either going to pick up SC2 this week or wait and play Mass Effect 2 again, then pick it up.

By that time the New Vegas expansion should be out...or something else that will spark my interest. :)

DA:O was another fantastic game, but I knew it was going to be amazing...wouldn't expect anything less from them.
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/11/2010 09:00 PM CDT
Borderlands is awesome as well, a good blend of RPG and FPS. The Best Co-op shooter ive ever played, too.
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/11/2010 11:21 PM CDT
You people play DR/code and these other games? Do you even remember what color the sky is?
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/11/2010 11:28 PM CDT
Starcraft 2 I picked up mostly for the solo campaign, since I'm not really an online RTS kinda guy... and wow. Just wow. It's SOOOO far beyond my expectations. The constant use of good looking video, the story, the mission set ups, the clever new twists for each mission, the RPG elements. Just... wow. It's killing me that I gotta wait another year for my next hit of it.

Fallout 3 I was SUPER hyped for, it came, I played the crap out of it for awhile and then just... stopped dead. I felt really let down by the main plot. I had intentions to play it a lot more but just never had. I don't think it's Fallout 3's fault, I've done that with Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion too. At least Oblivion and Fallout 3 I managed to make it through the main plot.

Not sure what it is - on paper I should love Bethesda games. I think it's just that I'm someone who likes to do everything in a game and in some ways the Bethesda games are too big for me.

Deus Ex 3 is the one I got my eye on now. It looks awesome, but I've seen no game play of it and Deus Ex was one of my favorite games ever but Deus Ex 2... well, let's not go there.

-Raesh
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/11/2010 11:29 PM CDT
>>You people play DR/code and these other games? Do you even remember what color the sky is?

Looking out my window I'm going to go with "Black". That's usually the right answer.

-Raesh
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/12/2010 01:33 AM CDT
I had the same issue with Oblivion. Finished the main plot and entered the expansion. About 3 hours in I quit it. I'd just had enough by then.

Grixlek says, "Courage is dangerous, it leads to attempts at heroics..."
Vegas asks, "What like dating?"
Grixlek says, "Nothing that dangerous I believe, but still crazy stuff."
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/12/2010 01:56 AM CDT
There's not a game listed here that I don't want to play.

I did enjoy FU.

Nikpack
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/12/2010 02:40 AM CDT
>Deus Ex 3 is the one I got my eye on now. It looks awesome, but I've seen no game play of it and Deus Ex was one of my favorite games ever but Deus Ex 2... well, let's not go there.

I feel the same way. The second I shot someone in the head in Deus Ex 2 and they didn't die I was pretty disappointed. Pretty sure I didn't play more than half an hour of that game.

Halajar
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/12/2010 03:12 AM CDT
>Dragon Age

Did you happen to see the material on DA 2 yet?
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/12/2010 03:12 AM CDT
Deus Ex 2 wasn't actually that bad of a game, though the physics were wonk. It just didn't even come close to living up to it's expectations and if you dig around on the web enough (Which I don't have time to do right now, sorry) you can find some of the people behind it talking about the bad decisions they made making the game - Bad Juju going on IRL, listening to their indie game developer friends instead of the masses and so forth.

The only comment I really recall offhand was a discussion on removing the skill system. Basically:

Indie game designers - Skills and Augs are redudant. Why have a skill that lets you swim better and an aug that does that too? Why not combine them into an aug that does the same as both?

The Masses - Having a skill that makes me swim better and an aug that lets me swim better is cool, because it lets me take both and be THE FROG MAN. Clicking one button to get the same effect isn't nearly as interesting since then I'm just a swimmer (even if the end numbers are exactly the same).

It's a subtle thing, but something I agree with.

The one thing I will give DX2 credit for is the fact that they managed to put the vision aug (mostly useless in DX) against the Regen Aug (The most OP'ed aug in DX by far. Why take ballistic armor, or aqua lung or chem resistance etc when you can just regenerate through all of it?) and make me pick the vision aug every time.

Oh and for people who have no idea what we're talking about - Go play Deux Ex even though it's like a decade old. It'll do you good. Then read a plot summary somewhere of DX2. Then watch this:

http://www.deusex.com/

It's been extended since last time I watched it. Wow.

Have I mentioned the last few years have been Really Good Years for both fantasy literature and video games?

-Raesh
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/12/2010 03:28 AM CDT
If anyone is looking for a cheaper older game (2008) that is pretty good, I'd say try The Witcher. I recently bought it on Steam when it was on sale and was surprised with how good of a game it was.

Halajar
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/12/2010 03:39 AM CDT
>>If anyone is looking for a cheaper older game (2008) that is pretty good, I'd say try The Witcher. I recently bought it on Steam when it was on sale and was surprised with how good of a game it was.

A lot of the best PC games in the past few years have come out of eastern European developers.

Coincidentally, I recommend playing The Witcher in Polish, with the English subs turned on.

-Armifer
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/12/2010 04:23 AM CDT
Yeah the Witcher was fairly good. I was meaning to give it a second play through but it just hasn't happened yet.

-Raesh
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/12/2010 06:32 AM CDT
Oh! I played Broken Sword I and II and Space Quest II and III a little while ago. Those were a ton of fun. I miss point and click based adventure games.

Nikpack
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/12/2010 09:19 AM CDT
Since indie developers were brought up, I'm reminded that I should mention Minecraft, which I've been playing a ton of lately. http://www.minecraft.net

It's an indie game written in Java, where the gameplay basically revolves around building things. It's currently in development, but still playable, and you can get it for 50% off the eventual price.

You can play Minecraft Classic for free, where you go around building stuff out of blocks. Everything is made of blocks, and you can build all sorts of stuff out of the various different types. And you can go online for collaborative building.

Then there's Survival, which you need to buy the game to access, and just recently had multiplayer released. (It's still a bit unstable at the moment, though.) Survival is where the real meat of the game is. You're dropped into a randomly generated world that extends off infinitely into the distance, and you need to start gathering resources to build tools and structures. Build your fortress, hunt animals for meat, wool, leather and feathers, mine for ore to make tools, weapons and armor, cut down trees for wood to construct boats, or torches... and make sure you get some of those torches, because monsters dwell in the darkness. And when the sun comes down, they'll come for you. Hope you found some shelter!

And of course, if you want the really good stuff, you're going to have to mine deeply looking for it. Monsters, pitfalls, lava flows... I've been swept away by an underground river and whisked into the darkness before. Tons of fun.

Multiplayer still has a lot of kinks to be worked out, but people are already building towns, shared fortresses, underground lairs, temples, all sorts of crazy things.

- Miskton
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/12/2010 11:22 AM CDT
I honestly don't miss Space Quest - Most of them you'd be at the end of the game, and you didn't find the right plug in a bin way back 20 minutes into the game, for something you were supposed to look at 5 minutes in to the game. It was fun to play, but got a hell of a lot more annoying than King's Quest, for the whole multi-save game. Quest for Glory series all the way though, as far as old school Sierra games.

The Witcher looks kind of neat, I might have to check that one out.

An old cranky ogre with no legs says, "Naarg wives all this Naarg wives now."
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/12/2010 12:25 PM CDT
>>I honestly don't miss Space Quest - Most of them you'd be at the end of the game, and you didn't find the right plug in a bin way back 20 minutes into the game, for something you were supposed to look at 5 minutes in to the game.

The plug thing was forgivable -- though annoying as Hell -- since you can go back and get the right one once you know which one you need.

Not so forgivable is that you're never told you need to write down the code for the first time period you're in, and you never have another chance to get it.

-Armifer
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/12/2010 01:54 PM CDT
along the same lines as witcher, Risen was amazing. The fact that you actually had to earn the ability to wear armor. Amazing.
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/12/2010 02:55 PM CDT
I'm a big fan of Warzone 2100 - an earlier-ish RTS that got abandoned, and then resurrected, revamped, etc etc. For some reason I can just play this over and over. It has some pretty fun/interesting features. Worth a look at least.

Plus it can be run in window-mode as opposed to being mandatory full-screen. And we all know what that means.

http://wz2100.net/
Re: Games You Should Play When You're Not Playing DR 08/20/2010 03:59 PM CDT
Death Gate is an awesome game. It's very old, I think early 90s. I always hoped for a sequel.