The Warded Man 07/09/2010 04:03 AM CDT
The Warded Man (Also known as The Painted Man) by Peter V. Brett officially has me hooked.

For anyone who likes their fantasy post apocalyptic I strongly recommend it.

On a "darkness scale" it's certainly darker than Jordan, maybe darker than Sanderson's Mistborn (Certainly darker than his other works), but lighter than Martin.

-Raesh
Re: The Warded Man 07/09/2010 12:03 PM CDT
>>Also known as The Painted Man

Is that an allusion to Bradbury's "The Illustrated Man"? That was one of my favorite collections of short stories growing up, and generally dystopian as well.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: The Warded Man 07/09/2010 02:20 PM CDT
Being unfamiliar with The Illustrated Man I had to look it up and I can conclude... I don't think so?

-Raesh
Re: The Warded Man 07/10/2010 09:47 AM CDT
The Thin Man

GO ASTA

:oP Ragran
Re: The Warded Man 07/11/2010 11:09 PM CDT
Yeah, I read this one 7 or 8 months ago, I think, and am eagerly awaiting the rest of the series. Should be interesting.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

Faerie tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know dragons exist. Faerie tales tell children that dragons can be killed.
- G.K. Chesterton
Re: The Warded Man 07/11/2010 11:16 PM CDT
The second book - The Desert Spear - is out, but I've only read the prologue so far.

-Raesh
Re: The Warded Man 07/22/2010 05:26 PM CDT
Having finished The Desert Spear - I can safely recommend both of these books with the warning that the third book isn't suppose to be out until 2012.

Also note that the author clearly has a thing for being abusive to his characters, particularly the female ones. Not as cruel as Martin, but still cruel.

-Raesh
Re: The Warded Man 07/22/2010 11:07 PM CDT
>>Having finished The Desert Spear - I can safely recommend both of these books with the warning that the third book isn't suppose to be out until 2012.

At least as far as my world goes, that's something I'm not too concerned about. Between the WoT series, Sanderson's Way of Kings, and general school/wedding plans/etc., I think I'll be able to hang on until 2012 for the next book in the series. Thanks for the tip! And since I brought it up earlier, I'll formally recommend Bradbury's "The Illustrated Man," because it's a classic and a darned good read.

Speaking of WoT, I feel like I should start re-reading in preparation of the new release, but I just don't know if I have the time.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: The Warded Man 07/22/2010 11:23 PM CDT
I reread for the last one. Or at least started to I read the 11th again - still wasn't out. Read the 1st one since it was suppose to reference it, still wasn't out. Kept reading and got to book 3-4 when it came out. Read book 12... went back and finished rereading them all and gave book 12 another read through.

That makes something like three full read throughs in the last four years or so... so I think I'll pass on rereading before Towers of Midnight. Scary.

I think the Otherland series by Tad Williams is up next - mostly because I picked it up on the cheap back around Christmas and I still haven't read em. Hopefully it doesn't have a giant rusty 200 page hook like Memory, Sorrow and Thorn had. At least that series proved to be worth the initial pain.

-Raesh
Re: The Warded Man 07/23/2010 05:24 AM CDT
I wish I knew how to read.

Grixlek says, "Courage is dangerous, it leads to attempts at heroics..."
Vegas asks, "What like dating?"
Grixlek says, "Nothing that dangerous I believe, but still crazy stuff."
Re: The Warded Man 07/23/2010 08:37 AM CDT
Otherland is some good stuff. The pace occasionally slows down a bit, but for the most part it keeps moving pretty well.

Although, I think I enjoyed the setting establishment toward the beginning more than the actual plot once it gets moving. Which isn't to say that it's bad, just that this particular setting really appeals to me.

- Miskton
Re: The Warded Man 07/23/2010 01:42 PM CDT
Never mind. Name of the Wind just arrived at the library for me - didn't get to it last time and it's got a couple month wait period right now.

Otherland will have to wait again :)

-Raesh

PS: I am in the middle of waaaaaay too many ongoing epic fantasy series. We need more of these series that have concluded!
Re: The Warded Man 07/23/2010 07:01 PM CDT
>>PS: I am in the middle of waaaaaay too many ongoing epic fantasy series. We need more of these series that have concluded!

Believe me, I feel your pain.

Otherland was... interesting. And Tad Williams does not know how to write a short book. Or even a long book. He can only write loooooong books. Not that I'm complaining, mind you - you get a workout lugging those suckers around.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

Faerie tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know dragons exist. Faerie tales tell children that dragons can be killed.
- G.K. Chesterton