Thank you. 10/16/2019 03:41 PM CDT
Hi Folks,

I'd like to share what has transpired over here recently, because I think you all deserve to know how wonderful people can be.

You have all traveled this journey with me as I cared for my grandfather and ensured his transition was a dignified occurrence, because I'm not shy and I'm not very private - I feel that if I am accountable to you, then you should know what my extraneous calls are, and this has been a big one for me.

My grandfather came to live with me and my husband three years ago when he lost his eldest daughter, my mother (5 weeks before my wedding). I knew when I invited him to live with us that I was inviting him to die with us, and that was ok. We all deserve to be comfortable and loved, and to have our own wishes honored.

I lost my grandfather on September 30, 2019. He passed peacefully at home with me holding one hand while my baby girl, his great-grand daughter, was holding the other. He just stopped. His time ended. He was 91. He was a WWII veteran and a proud patriarch and I was blessed to be able to care for him in his final years, as he has cared for me and everyone else in our family (5 children, 15 grand children, 16 great-grandchildren) over the course of our entire lives.

When he passed away, I went off the grid for a little bit. We grieved and spent time with family, and made the necessary arrangements for his final rest. I think talking to the people at the Veteran's Association was the hardest - they were so eager to be sure that they presented full military honors. Let me tell you, friends -- Listening to the bugle in a cemetery is not something you will ever forget. Watching those solemn men fold that flag.. The salute? I don't have words for this. It was momentous and I will be forever grateful for the sendoff they gave my grandfather.

The day after Dad's funeral (Yes he was Dad to me, even though it was a generation removed) I learned that some of the people from our community rallied and wanted to support me and my family.

Oh. My goodness.

We sometimes have a very contentious relationship, me the PM and you my customers. The outpouring of love and support was staggering - So much so that I couldn't address it for several more days. Dad's final expenses were all pre-paid. I'm a realist, as was he. He lost his wife, my grandmother, in 2009 and it was a devastating experience for him. He didn't want his kids to deal with the nuances he had to deal with so we took care of these details quite some time ago.

As I said, Dad's final arrangements were all pre-determined and pre-paid. When I learned that you all had come together to make this easier for me, I reached out to the organizers and explained. The response was overwhelmingly supportive - please take this gesture and do something to make the coming days easier.

My husband and I discussed it at great length, and decided to put this generous gesture towards re-flooring Dad's room. He lived in the master suite in my house, and his bedroom was right beside mine. It has wall-to-wall carpet, and some pretty gross things have happened in there recently. Otherwise his bedroom door would be closed while I save up for that expense, and my husband and I would walk past it every morning when we get up and start our day.

I shared this plan with the organizers and then with the players in Discord. Again, the response was supportive and I am so appreciative of all of you. I'm sure you all realize that cleaning bodily fluids isn't as simple as tearing up a carpet, and it comes with great (and necessary) expense.

Thank you, my friends, for reminding me that people are wonderful and that we've built a special family here in DragonRealms. Thank you for the card, the flowers at the funeral home, and for the peace of mind. Thank you for being there for me.

Be kind to people. That's all. We're all just people.

~ L
Re: Thank you. 10/16/2019 08:33 PM CDT
I was so sorry to hear about your grandfather. Losing important like that someone is always tough. <3

I really like the idea of apply the gift to re-flooring too! I hope it brings some relief (and cleanliness) while reminds you of the last few years you had with him.

Nikpack
Re: Thank you. 10/16/2019 08:52 PM CDT
Glad you were able to celebrate his life with a wonderful service. My grandpa had a 21 gun salute when he passed and the grandkids got to keep a shell from the salute. I am happy to see that your family will get some closure with everything going on and that eventually things will go back to a state that is almost normal. You have been great to us for what its worth and we are happy to help out in however manner we can deem fitting.
Re: Thank you. 10/16/2019 10:34 PM CDT
So sorry for your loss. I was really glad that we could come together as a community with this idea (thanks Matt) and reach out to Chris (thank you too!) at billing to help us see this through.

Thank you to everyone that was able to take a moment from our busy lives, text and otherwise, to be supportive.

Nora, as always, thank you for what you do for our community. Whether we roleplay someone acerbic, someone quiet, someone good, someone bad, or anything in between, we're all just people, and we all have a shared love in this community stretching many years. I'm glad that we could show it.

Regards,

Sean, player of Tyrun
Re: Thank you. 10/16/2019 10:36 PM CDT
That's such a rough situation. But it was little things like this that made me remember the game fondly when I was gone for 15 years. Players coming together when something happened to one of us. I remember TGSE and the strictly OOC discussion on 9/11/01, checking in and commiserating. The solidarity of the community. As much as I taunt and tease, I do genuinely have a good opinion of the community. When the idea to send flowers was floated, it reminded me of what made me enjoy the community to begin with. (Just don't tell anyone on Discord I spoke kindly of them)

I'm glad to know it's going toward something more meaningful and lasting than flowers, and will help get past the memories you don't want to hang onto. There are many things that will remind you of him daily, weekly, and especially on days you hold sacred. But let them be fond things, things that remind you of the good times. Bittersweet memories, not bitter ones.
Re: Thank you. 10/17/2019 04:52 AM CDT

Hi!

Been there. Done that. Lost my Dad in july 2014 and lost my Mom on my birthday in june of this year 2019. Never easy. So many people these days don't help their families anymore. Could never consider putting my dad and mom in a home, so when I finally retired from the military, I brought them to live with me. Like you we worked on taking care of all the expenses before it happened. Still there are some things you just don't realize are coming till they come, (Social security, medicare, secondary insurances, etc.) But it all works out. So glad you were able to help him. Keep well remember all the good things and keep them forever.

Ranger Pfanston and his Soggy pup.