Rate my team 08/30/2007 10:39 AM CDT
Its time for one of these threads here.

League: Yahoo 10 team private
Draft: Live
Scoring: Standard
Spots: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, W/R, TE, K, DEF, 8 bench spots

I drafted 9th, so I got 1.9, and 2.2, waiver priority = 2.

QB Jake Delhomme (Car - QB)
WR Steve Smith (Car - WR)
WR Terrell Owens (Dal - WR)
RB Frank Gore (SF - RB)
RB Maurice Jones-Drew (Jac - RB)
TE Dallas Clark (Ind - TE)
W/R Travis Henry (Den - RB)
K Olindo Mare (NO - K)
DEF Minnesota (Min - DEF)

BN Torry Holt (StL - WR)
BN Reggie Brown (Phi - WR)
BN Jamal Lewis (Cle - RB)
BN Alex Smith (SF - QB)
BN Heath Miller (Pit - TE)
BN Marcel Shipp (Ari - RB)
BN J.P. Losman (Buf - QB)
BN Dallas (Dal - DEF)

Note: Yes, Gore was still there at 1.9. =o

-THE Noob

Holy father - holy ghost
Who's the one who hurts you most
Rock the cradle when you cry
Scream another lullaby
Re: Rate my team 08/30/2007 11:43 AM CDT
>>Note: Yes, Gore was still there at 1.9. =o

I got him on 1.9 in the wacky bar league I was in.

Looking over the team, I'd try to find someone other than Jamal. He might be okay since he's your bench RB, but after watching him stutter-step his way to defeat in Baltimore the last few years, I'd be wary. He only had 1 breakaway run last year, and some little dude from out of nowhere caught him long before he hit the end zone (and nearly any RB should have been able to hit it with the lead he had). I question him being ranked so high on so many lists.

I also question Marcel Shipp, as he's mostly going to be playing backup to Edgerrin James. Unless you've got a feeling that James isn't going to finish the season, I'd try to find a starting HB or FB, because unless I've missed something, I don't think he's going to get a lot of play time.

The final position I'd question is your kicker. Mare tends to be between 12-15 on the cheat sheets I've perused. Unless you've got a good reason for having him, I'd be looking to add someone higher up.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Rate my team 08/30/2007 11:51 AM CDT
Ok here goes

pretty solid team
Gore at 1.9 is just nuts given the feeding frenzy on backs this year

Why 2 benched QB's ? Drop Smith, DALLAS, and or Mare and possibly consider trading up for a better DST or K.

Dallas Clark's a solid TE but with so much talent in the receiver & backs dept on the Colts his touches are going to be limited.

IMO Holt is going to be a big bust this year just a gut feeling (again IMO)

Denz

Join Dragonrealms:The Fallen
And Play DR the way it was meant to be played

Customer service should never be considered an expense, It's an investment in the future
Re: Rate my team 08/30/2007 12:20 PM CDT
Your league must have some major doofuses in it for you to end up with that team.

Jamal Lewis as a 4th RB is fine. I wouldn't want him as a #2 in a 10 team league, but a #4 is great.

Having those 3 WRs is a waste - especially with your RB corps. Downgrade one in order to upgrade your QB. That's the one position where you'll be seriously struggling.

Dallas Clark isn't the best TE around, and he's fairly overrated, but TEs not named Gates aren't going to score that many points, so it's not a big deal and you can always grab someone if you need to.

Like other say, there's no reason to carry 2 Defenses or 3 QBs. Especially when one of those QBs is Alex Smith. Add some depth at WR.

I have no issues with Mare as a kicker. He's kicking in a dome for a good team, and after Vinatieri, there's not much difference between the kickers and it's impossible to project who will be better or worse. Anyone who says otherwise is full of it.
Re: Rate my team 08/30/2007 12:41 PM CDT
I'd like to see some other teams and discussions here also.

>Jamal

Late in the draft, what remained were RBBC options, Priest Holmes, Corey Dillon, and Jamal Lewis. He's a starting RB, new team, and may find success when that O-line is actually healthy. As a bye week or injury backup, there's a lot worse out there.

>Shipp

Again, late in draft (I already had 3 real starting RB's in Gore, Jones-Drew, and Henry) so this was a hope and pray he ganks some more Edge TDs early, and makes for trade bait.

>Holt

I got SSmith, and TO (1 and 3 in the Y! rankings) so I figured I could wait out his knees for a few weeks and hope to trade him.

>Mare

This pick started as a joke. My other half seemingly always gets him, and this year I said I would take him (in this particular league) so she wouldn't have to. I usually replace kickers at bye week because I never waste a higher pick one of the stud kickers, but I'm thinking that a dome team kicker, even Mare, might be worth an early shot.

>DALLAS DEF

The NFC East is full of suck. Dallas has 10 games this year against teams that probably will not be above .500 including some late ones against GB, and the NYJ.

>2 Benched QBs

ASmith was a rushed pick. I had him on my 'flyer' list just in case the SF (over)hype turns out to be something. I was not prepared for Gore to be available at 1.9, nor Jones-Drew at 2.2 (I thought they'd both be gone, even if I ended up with one of them). I had to make some hasty adjustments, and burnt my round 11 pick, because I was out of time.

The only strategically significant part here is that I knew 'what' I was going to do If I lost track of time, just not 'when', if at all; that being using the flyer pick as a panic button so I got a guy I at least wanted, and not the next available Y! ranked wannabe. I'm sure many of you have watched your queued players get drafted in turn before your eyes... this was my protection against that, and it ended up happening.

-THE Noob

Holy father - holy ghost
Who's the one who hurts you most
Rock the cradle when you cry
Scream another lullaby
Re: Rate my team 08/30/2007 01:27 PM CDT
Here's what I ended up with in the TF League Draft
Butcher Away

STARTERS
Palmer, Carson QB CIN
Jones-Drew, Maurice RB JAC
McAllister, Deuce RB NO
Boldin, Anquan WR ARI
Fitzgerald, Larry WR ARI
Stallworth, Donte' WR NE
Winslow, Kellen TE CLE
Kaeding, Nate K SD
Patriots, DST DST NE

BENCH
Schaub, Matt QB HOU
Barber, Marion RB DAL
Horn, Joe WR ATL Traded for Williamson, Troy WR MIN
Pollard, Marcus TE SEA
Saints, DST DST NO

I'll be looking to snag a WR once the season gets underway since I have 2 starters (Boldin, Fitzgerald) on the same team.

Denz

Join Dragonrealms:The Fallen
And Play DR the way it was meant to be played

Customer service should never be considered an expense, It's an investment in the future
Re: Rate my team 08/30/2007 02:33 PM CDT
>>Here's what I ended up with in the TF League Draft

I'd be happy enough with that team, assuming Arizona has the year that everyone says they'll have every year. If not, there's always some unexpected upstart WR to nab on the FA/Waiver, assuming you can be the first to spot it and act on it. I'd expect them to be solid enough, though.

>>There are two of these. I've seen the wrong one (CHI) drafted at least 4 times already.

Ha! Last year or the year before I kept encouraging people to take Kris Brown (K for HOU, ranked about 31 or 32 at the time) versus Chris Brown (RB for TEN). No one would have it, but I tried.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Rate my team 08/30/2007 03:21 PM CDT
My gut, (often wrong, but right last year about Baltimore) says that New England Defense will be up this year by more than expected.

mfberg
Re: Rate my team 08/30/2007 04:22 PM CDT
I drafted 6th in both of the 8 way leagues so far.

Ron Mexico team:
QB-Vince Young
WR-Chad Johnson
WR-Randy Moss
WR-Bernard Berrian
RB-Rudi Johnson (Ru-DI!)
RB-Reggie Bush
TE-Owen Daniels
K-Nate Keading
DEF-Chicago

BN-Mushin Muhammad
BN-Tony Gonzalez
BN-Edgerrin James
BN-Phillip Rivers
BN-Mark Clayton
BN-Carolina

Overall, I feel ok about this team. I foresee much more scoring from my Backs and D than elsewhere.

SC Team:
QB-Peyton Manning
WR-Reggie Wayne
WR-Marques Colston
WR-Bernard Berrian
RB-Reggie Bush
RB-Ahman Green
TE-Kellen Winslow
K-Robbie Gould
DEF-New England

BN-Eric Moulds
BN-Dominic Rhodes
BN-Vince Young
BN-Dallas Clark
BN-Drew Bennett
BN-Buffalo

I feel better about this team at QB/WR obviously. Looking to get some nice combo hookups from manning and wayne, and colston did well for me last year when healthy. RB corps is ok with Bush, but the rest, meh.

War Hawk Maulem~

Read the Barbarian Seven!
http://tinyurl.com/gksan
Re: Rate my team 08/30/2007 06:42 PM CDT
>I'd be happy enough with that team, assuming Arizona has the year that everyone says they'll have every year.

They won't. I just hope that Sun Devil Stadium has been sprayed down enough to get rid of almost 20 years of the Cardinals' losing mojo.

~GameMaster Aurdun Smashfoot
http://gmaurdun.livejournal.com/
Re: Rate my team 08/30/2007 07:00 PM CDT
<<They won't. I just hope that Sun Devil Stadium has been sprayed down enough to get rid of almost 20 years of the Cardinals' losing mojo.
>>

Where is Dr. Evil when you need him?

Rehlyn

You gesture at a gargantuan korograth.
A sheet of slippery rich amber ale-hued ice forms beneath a gargantuan korograth!
The gargantuan korograth refuses to fall.