Simucon 2016 - Reservations 04/27/2016 02:21 PM CDT
Heads up for anyone planning to attend this year, we have our dates, location, and reservation link!

The dates are August 17-21, back at the Chalet in St Louis.

https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/Simucon2016

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Simucon 2016 - Reservations 04/28/2016 12:33 AM CDT
This isn't vegas!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Simucon 2016 - Reservations 04/28/2016 01:11 AM CDT
Yeah kinda bummed.. was hoping to be able to make it and if it had been in vegas that would have been a really cheap trip.

buuut the awesome reason I can't is because I am going to comic con in july and blizzcon in november and both of them are sucking all my convention monies :(
Re: Simucon 2016 - Reservations 04/28/2016 08:15 AM CDT
From what I heard, the organizers were unable to find a reasonable rate and space in Vegas during the potential dates.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Simucon 2016 - Reservations 04/28/2016 12:54 PM CDT
Yeah, we ran into that a little bit with Vegascon.

For the most part, the hard part about vegas rates isn't the hotel fee...it's the $30/day resort fee that gets tacked onto any rates. Plus, depending on the dates of Simucon - they may have ran into a large scale convention which eats into hotel availability and generally drives prices up.

Vegas is a lot of fun, but it's not cheap.
Re: Simucon 2016 - Reservations 04/28/2016 06:26 PM CDT
If you are ever thinking about a West Coast Simucon, why not check out Seattle or Portland? Definitely cheaper places to stay, great food, and lots to do.
Re: Simucon 2016 - Reservations 04/28/2016 06:50 PM CDT
Some of us are planning a get-together in Portland in July. Very unofficial, but if anyone is in the region I expect we'll have more concrete plans Soon.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Simucon 2016 - Reservations 05/31/2016 10:53 PM CDT

You know... Sydney Australia has some wonderful places. With 1 AUD to your 70 cents its a win for everyone! And its just a 20 hr jaunt by plane.

Im sure with your GM pulling power and good looks you could get Simu to dip into petty cash for the plane tickets.

Rifkinn
Re: Simucon 2016 - Reservations 06/01/2016 01:43 AM CDT
Australia is lovely, but I would rather poke my eye with a stick than do that 20 hour plane ride again. :)
Re: Simucon 2016 - Reservations 06/01/2016 03:22 AM CDT
Solution: SimuCon on the plane.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Simucon 2016 - Reservations 06/01/2016 03:24 AM CDT
I refuse to set foot in a country that contains spiders bigger than my head.

Thayet

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Simucon 2016 - Reservations 06/01/2016 04:46 AM CDT
It's not so much the size of the spiders as the fact that I don't think there is any wildlife in Australia that's not poisonous. Even Kangaroos and Koalas.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Simucon 2016 - Reservations 06/01/2016 06:19 AM CDT
>It's not so much the size of the spiders as the fact that I don't think there is any wildlife in Australia that's not poisonous. Even Kangaroos and Koalas.

People.
Re: Simucon 2016 - Reservations 06/01/2016 01:31 PM CDT
>People.<

People are the most toxic of them all.

--Just a Squire

Riveted to the metal is a small copper plaque depicting a shield crossed with a longsword overlaying a field of thirteen stars. Encircling the design are the words, "Many Faces - One God."
Re: Simucon 2016 - Reservations 06/01/2016 01:52 PM CDT
>People are the most toxic of them all.

Thanks for the soft lob Lennon!

I love this topic. There's a difference in venomous, poisonous, and toxic.

People are toxic, but rarely poisonous and barring medical procedures not venomous. Even then I'm not sure it would qualify since it would be a prosthetic rather than an inherent biologic item.
Re: Simucon 2016 - Reservations 06/01/2016 03:14 PM CDT
I don't think 'people' qualify as wildlife.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Simucon 2016 - Reservations 06/01/2016 03:48 PM CDT
Counterpoint: SE PDX.

Thayet

Re: Simucon 2016 - Reservations 06/01/2016 04:45 PM CDT
>I love this topic. There's a difference in venomous, poisonous, and toxic.<

Yes, toxins are naturally created poisons (i.e., they are produced by living organisms), hence the comment.

>I don't think 'people' qualify as wildlife.<

The Biological Anthropologist and Evolutionary Psychologist in me has yet to fully agree, especially as it pertains to Australians. I do suppose they're technically more feral than wild (I'm joking!).

--Just a Squire

Riveted to the metal is a small copper plaque depicting a shield crossed with a longsword overlaying a field of thirteen stars. Encircling the design are the words, "Many Faces - One God."
Re: Simucon 2016 - Reservations 06/01/2016 05:57 PM CDT
>The Biological Anthropologist and Evolutionary Psychologist in me has yet to fully agree, especially as it pertains to Australians. I do suppose they're technically more feral than wild (I'm joking!).

Australopithecus, Australoid or just any old run of the mill Australian?

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Simucon 2016 - Reservations 06/03/2016 07:06 AM CDT
>>get Simu to dip into petty cash for the plane tickets.

Simutronics does not front any money. All of the funds used for Simucon are raised and held by a Simucon committee (comprised of a few GS and DR GMs) and are donated by players via indigogo. I was on the committee last year, since I was going last year. I'm still in contact with the committee, in order to post updates, but I'm not attending or organizing this year.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Simucon 2016 - Reservations 06/03/2016 11:55 PM CDT
>Australopithecus, Australoid or just any old run of the mill Australian? <

Run of the mill Australian. You know, "feral" pertaining to organisms living in the wild even though they are descended from domesticated animals.

As an aside, as far as we know Australopithecus didn't make it out of Africa.

--Just a Squire