Not Simucon - - - But AussieCon - Cross-post. 04/07/2005 04:11 AM CDT
G'day from Downunda,

Our main problem with not going to Simucon is that we are on the other side of the world. Literally.

Tiggrah and Woolff would like to invite you and yours to AussieCon. Sick of hearing about VegasCon? How about SimuCon? Well, here we are......we're in Melbourne and organising a bash. Not only do we have people from Australia interested, but also from Kiwiland and America.

Any questions/queries/input please email Tiggrah@woolff-tiggra.com

Looking forward to meeting you all in 2008.
Woolff and Tiggrah.

"Fare ye well and may yer paths be safe from harm"
Re: Not Simucon - - - But AussieCon - Cross-post. 04/07/2005 08:49 AM CDT
I've always wanted to visit Australia.

GM Reexa

Re: Not Simucon - - - But AussieCon - Cross-post. 04/07/2005 09:07 AM CDT
2008.... I MIGHT have enough money to head out there by then... make it durring the Summer and I'd prolly be in, Summer is good because College takes up everything BUT summer... in 2008, provided the timing is right... I will invade Australia....

Legionnaire Deagar,
Order of the Dragon Shield Council Leader
Re: Not Simucon - - - But AussieCon - Cross-post. 04/07/2005 09:24 AM CDT
>I MIGHT have enough money to head out there by then... make it durring the Summer and I'd prolly be in

Me too... but by summer, I hope you mean summer in the Northern Hemisphere...

Ebil Cleric Bambina
Re: Not Simucon - - - But AussieCon - Cross-post. 04/07/2005 09:41 AM CDT
I do mean summer in the Northern Hemisphere... I forgot about those damned Hemispheres.... up is down, left is right, TOILETS DRAIN THE OTHER WAY!

Legionnaire Deagar,
Order of the Dragon Shield Council Leader
Re: Not Simucon - - - But AussieCon - Cross-post. 04/07/2005 03:02 PM CDT
<<TOILETS DRAIN THE OTHER WAY!

Well, the water rotates the other direction, I would hate to get hit in the face.

Sylvado

"False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for everyone takes a salutory pleasure in proving their falseness."
Re: Not Simucon - - - But AussieCon - Cross-post. 04/07/2005 06:36 PM CDT
<<Well, the water rotates the other direction, I would hate to get hit in the face.>>

LOL...

Actually that whole Coriolis Effect is a myth anyway.

http://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/Bad/BadCoriolis.html

Solomon

What's going on?
http://www.livejournal.com/~drbubba

Re: Not Simucon - - - But AussieCon - Cross-post. 04/07/2005 09:13 PM CDT
2008...I could maybe do it.

--David (Jolebin Swordstaff, Elemancer of Riverhaven)
Re: Not Simucon - - - But AussieCon - Cross-post. 04/07/2005 09:47 PM CDT
>>Me too... but by summer, I hope you mean summer in the Northern Hemisphere...

If that's the case then you realize they are in the middle of winter then, right?

Sounds like they should have it during the US spring break season.

Player of a few too many

Pol-i-tics (pol-i-tiks) n. 1. "Poli" meaning many. 2. "Tics" meaning blood-sucking insects.
Re: Not Simucon - - - But AussieCon - Cross-post. 04/07/2005 09:47 PM CDT
That would be a con to remember, what a neat idea! Make it like.. November.. best time of the year in Australia isn't it?

~player of Solstitia in Plat

Shakahn moves Tallnavor's lips so it looks like his lips are moving. In a voice somewhere near him says, "I sorry, ale sat wrong in tummy. No chicken eating, praise the chicken!"
Re: Not Simucon - - - But AussieCon - Cross-post. 04/08/2005 11:49 PM CDT
>Sounds like they should have it during the US spring break season.

Except that spring break season starts in the middle of february and ends in the middle of april. Although it would be awesome if the con lasted that long...
-Durnil
Re: Not Simucon - - - But AussieCon - Cross-post. 04/09/2005 02:13 AM CDT
If spring break is in Feb and they are planning it in Feb then wouldn't that make it Summer in Australia AND Spring break in the US?

Just a thought.
Also, if it was made at the end of Feb/start of March - wouldn't that interfer with VegasCon?

And Solomon, just to let you know, from personal experience - the water does flow in the opposite direction.

Kobmand

I'm juggling, trading and also trading in juggling.
Re: Not Simucon - - - But AussieCon - Cross-post. 04/09/2005 02:22 AM CDT
G'day folks,

the other thing we'd like you to remember is that this is 'AussieCon', therefore we're going to be revolving around our holidays so that the Aussie and Kiwi players have a greater chance of attending.

We have around 20 people in our region (if not more) and are going to concentrate the event on our spring/summer holiday period (which Nov to Feb).

We're not trying to scare people away by restricting it to those periods, but if we were to align ourselves to your holiday period, we'd have none of the locals show up. Tigg and I attend SimuCon this year and both of us worked over our Christmas/Summer period so that we were able to attend VegasCon (and I'm in no way begrudging the time period you folk chose - heck we had an absolute ball (DeathGrog anyone???)).

So in essence, please consider that this is going to be held in our locale and our holiday period (summer is still the best time to visit DownUnder) but will welcome allcomers with open arms (and DeathGrog) from whatever part of the globe you're from.

So, if you've got itchy feet (I said itchy, not SMELLY!!) and have been bitten by the travel bug then start saving those pennies and join us at AussieCon 2008.

Cheers

Re: Not Simucon - - - But AussieCon - Cross-post. 04/09/2005 10:16 AM CDT
I would LOVE to go. Perhaps we'll be able to by then. I'm still trying to convince my hubby to let us move to Australia or New Zealand. He keeps telling me no because our families are here in the States, and he'd have to get re-licensed to practice optometry in another country. I'm gonna keep trying, though!!

He's got two more years of schooling to go, so he should be out and practicing by then. Maybe by then we'll have the money and the freedom to go Down Undah.

~ the player of Aavarine/Silphe/Nabihle

"Come fairies, take me out of this dull world,
For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance
Upon the mountains like a flame." -- W.B. Yeats
Re: Not Simucon - - - But AussieCon - Cross-post. 04/09/2005 11:48 AM CDT
<<I would LOVE to go. Perhaps we'll be able to by then. I'm still trying to convince my hubby to let us move to Australia or New Zealand. He keeps telling me no because our families are here in the States, and he'd have to get re-licensed to practice optometry in another country. I'm gonna keep trying, though!!

You might want to check into that more. Most countries are not too keen on letting people move in and take jobs from their citizens.

Sylvado

"False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for everyone takes a salutory pleasure in proving their falseness."
Re: Not Simucon - - - But AussieCon - Cross-post. 04/09/2005 07:07 PM CDT
Umm, in case you're not aware, we're not a third-world country....

As for practicing/working here, it's the level of schooling (depending on your profession) and experience that is taken into consideration (amongst a myriad of others things), not a case of "OMG" they're stealing our Jobs!!!"

However, as was stated, it's still a good idea to investigate your options and requirements.

Obviously if theres a glut on the particular profession, then the better your schooling and past experience the better chances of working here.

Heck, we let Kiwis in and let them stay and work, so having someone from the States would be a breath of fresh air.

::prep blend 12::
::cast::
::"Hahahahah, no Kiwis gonna find me now!"::

Re: Not Simucon - - - But AussieCon - Cross-post. 04/09/2005 08:09 PM CDT
<<Umm, in case you're not aware, we're not a third-world country....

It's not a third world issue, in fact most third world countries would welcome skilled workers. Since Australia has plenty of it's own skilled workers they are more likely to have limitations on who comes into the country to work.

Sylvado

Re: Not Simucon - - - But AussieCon - Cross-post. 04/10/2005 05:56 AM CDT
Yep, working in Australia is going to be a HUGE problem.
I mean, it's not like we've got a website designed to make it totally easy for you or anything.
But if we did, it would probably be located here: https://secure.liveinaustralia.com/skilled/default.asp
Just if you were interested in looking of course.

There are a few other sites of course, but that one took me like 20seconds to get to.
I'm sure if I looked I could find alot more.
At the moment we are welcoming all skills in the medical profession. I think you just have to sign something that says you'll work in a rural area for up to 2 years. But that's just from TV commercials. So do the usual checking.

Kobmand.

I'm juggling, trading and also trading in juggling.
Re: Not Simucon - - - But AussieCon - Cross-post. 04/10/2005 07:47 AM CDT
You could also go right to the list here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf

Sylvado

Re: Not Simucon - - - But AussieCon - Cross-post. 04/12/2005 06:26 AM CDT
For some reason, when I was nosing around before I moved out here, Australia seems to have a MAJOR shortage of barbers. Where have all the barbers gone?!

On topic... My student visa is only valid until Aug. 2007... If I get a job here and stick around, perhaps I'll be attending. If not... dem's da breaks I guess. :(

-Vision

This is smooth. Super smooth. If pudding could doodie, it wouldn't come out this smooth.