SIMUCON 03/24/2005 12:35 PM CST
Howdy,

I have been playing DragonRealms for the better half of 7 years. I have never been able to attend a Simu function, and I didn't think I was going to be able to this year, if we don't have to pay the $200+ dollars for a ticket, I think it could be more affordable for people. I know that the $99 dollars a night plus food cost something that I, myself, and many others can come up with. Why are the prices at SimuCon so much more expensive than VegasCon? If the ticket price was the same, I'm sure more people would Sign up and do it the "legal" way instead of crashing it. Thats just my opion.

Pucktin Tradirious
Re: SIMUCON - IMPORTANT 03/24/2005 01:23 PM CST
As with many people, I wasn't planning on getting a ticket because I'm a dirt poor college student. Since I live here in town, I was just going to come down everyday, or throw some money in with a bunch of people for a room, and hang out. $200 is just too much money for me unfortunately, though I would love to attend all the special stuff.

I know there were rumors, or the idea was brought up last year, about being able to sign up for specific things instead of everything. I think this is still a great idea, so that people don't pay for things that they hate or will skip anyway. Though I do see how this could create a lot of problems for you guys, having to check a list for everyone before letting them into each seminar/event. Just an idea.

Gryck/Ed
Re: SIMUCON 03/24/2005 04:38 PM CST
>>Why are the prices at SimuCon so much more expensive than VegasCon?

Because at Vegascon we don't rent banquet rooms and ballrooms, host dinners or give away free t-shirts. That raises the price considerably. We simply rent out a large Penthouse and everyone donates to stock the bar. You definitely get a lot more at Simucon, which is why the admission is higher.

Kellie

There is nothing more liberating than dancing barefoot.
Re: SIMUCON 03/24/2005 04:45 PM CST
>>Why are the prices at SimuCon so much more expensive than VegasCon?

SimuCon includes two (last I heard) meals as part of the admission price.

VegasCon uses a single suite for all the functions, whereas SimuCon uses something like 20-30 different rooms, including a fairly large ballroom, for all the events. And the VegasCon suite is frequently "comped" by the hotel in exchange for having a minimum number of rooms booked by attendees; while Simutronics has to pay or a significant number of the rooms used.

VegasCon has maybe a dozen GMs total show up. SimuCon had over 80 DR GMs alone there last year.

VegasCon has a single raffle for in-game items; SimuCon has traditionally included some sort of raffle or door prize, along with various contest prizes.

Also, VegasCon is run by players for players, no "official" stuff happening, everything is pretty much impromptu; where SimuCon is fairly well pre-planned for much of the convention events. Even the Thursday and Friday night parties are planned out months in advance, along with now having two player-organized meals/get-togethers.

VegasCon badges are computer-printed, and stuffed into a standard badge holder, the nice one costs extra; the SimuCon badges include a photo of the player taken at the 'Con, along with being laminated.

VegasCon is face-to-face only, while SimuCon includes a computer room with about a dozen computers hooked up to the Internet and (and) a free wireless Internet connection in most of the public areas used by the convention for people with laptops with wireless cards to use.

Each of the two 'cons has their strengths and weaknesses, and I wish I wasn't going to miss SimuCon this year...

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Mac OS X FE http://tinyurl.com/4btcl
Amagaim's What to Hunt Chart
Excel format: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
HTML format: http://tinyurl.com/6tpls
Re: SIMUCON 03/24/2005 08:54 PM CST
I really do think Simucon is worth the money, it is obvious the places in which your dollars are spent, the Con is not cheaply run in anyway, and while, yes, it is expensive... it is worth it through extremely delicious dinners, nice rooms for the meetings, a nice hotel to stay in with great amenities, the raffle/ door prizes are awesome... interaction with LOTS of GMs, lots of organized games and events... great music, the awesome computer rooom.. it goes on and on. So money is well worth saving up for all year just to go to this.

Its the date change that killed me. Why was it put on Fathers Day? Why was it changed from the dates it had been on several years running?

~player of Solstitia in Plat

Shakahn moves Tallnavor's lips so it looks like his lips are moving. In a voice somewhere near him says, "I sorry, ale sat wrong in tummy. No chicken eating, praise the chicken!"
Re: SIMUCON 03/24/2005 09:11 PM CST
<<Why was it changed from the dates it had been on several years running?>>

It actually hasn't ever been on the same dates, really. It's come close, but only barely and only by luck. ::grin::

1997 May 29th - Last weekend in May (Marriott)

1998 July 17 - Third Weekend in July (Adams Mark New Hotel)

1999 September 16 - Third Weekend in September (Henry VIII New Hotel)

2000 June 14 - Third weekend in June (Henry VIII)

2001 June 7 - Second weekend in June (Hilton New Hotel) (Henry VIII go kaboom!)

2002 June 5 - Second Weekend in June (Hilton)

2003 June 5 - First Weekend in June (Westport Sheraton New Hotel)

2004 June 3 - First Weekend in June (Sheraton)

2005 June 13 - Third Weekend in June (Sheraton)

We have been trying to shoot for early June lately, but that all depends on what hotel we have to use (something we don't always know until one or more months after the Con is over) and then we have to determine what dates they have available and what dates conflict with other major conventions, renfaires, as many school schedules as possible, major religious holidays, and industry conventions.

Yes, it's unfortunate that we fall on Father's Day this year, but that's what we had to work with.

Solomon

What's going on?
http://www.livejournal.com/~drbubba

Re: SIMUCON 03/24/2005 09:59 PM CST
I thought I should share the standard cost for a 3 day pass to three cons as per some invites I received today, just today. (

1 adult weekend pass $38 at the door. (that's for the full weekend)

$49.00 standard weekend pass. (this one does have a platinum package that has tons more things and goes for $225.00)

1 adult weekend pass $37.00. (again that pass is for the full weekend)

In other words, you are getting smoked and cost is a big issue here.

As I suggested elsewhere, first make getting the discounted rooms at the hotel contingent on paying for the convention. Second, don't let people access these events that did not pay. Third try holding this someplace with more draw and less cost. (Cancun ::grins::) Fourth, team up with some other people, don't just try to throw this party solo.

This should let you offer SimuCon at a competitive rate while making more money off it. It should let you draw in people who never would have known of this game and sell them on it. This convention should not just be a customer loyalty thing. It should be a promotional event for Simu.

Bottom Line:

Cost is a big issue immediate and up front slapping people in the face.

Another big issue is that at your Panels and Presentations you are offering people sneak previews of what might be. This is frustrating when people take it as stuff that will be and it does not happen. You might want to rethink your presentations, especially if you are trying to use this to promote DragonRealms, not just preserve customer loyalty.

When setting up what events will be run and how things will be presented, it helps to have a clear cut goal in mind for the event as a whole and each internal event. Maybe you want to have a 'things that may come' Panel to sort of gauge interest and sort of market test ideas. But I would balance that with a place where you go into what is (toot your horn about things that work and are awesome and how they came about) and a place where you talk about cool things on preview for attendies only. These things should be things that are going to be released this year for sure. I suggest you set up the test server at your home office, not at the hotel. Only those who pay for the subscription can log into the test server. You may wish to make an absentee subscription at a lower cost for those that can't actually travel to your con but would like access to the test server. You could in fact let this part of the con last longer than the con itself and charge for it.

I hope this helps.

Mists and Magic, Ocean Breazes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Re: SIMUCON 03/25/2005 07:39 PM CST
Thanks for the explanation Solomon! I do appreciate it... have been pretty frusterated that it was placed on the only weekend of the year I absolutely can not go... Good to know there really is a legitimate explanation.

Now I guess all I can do is hope next year it works out to where I can go.. you wouldn't happen to be able to include major horseshows in your tally now, can you? ::grins and flees::

~player of Solstitia in Plat

Shakahn moves Tallnavor's lips so it looks like his lips are moving. In a voice somewhere near him says, "I sorry, ale sat wrong in tummy. No chicken eating, praise the chicken!"
Re: SIMUCON 03/26/2005 08:41 AM CST
I'm not going this year because my Husband is and will be deployed through it. I didn't go last year for the same reason. And the year before that too. We both hope to go one day though. I know $600+ per person seems rather steep, but with all the years we've missed, we've been able to save up enough, easily, to go as soon as my husband has served his time in the military. I hope you don't cancel the Con before then! 'Course, the location (Louisiana) could be better, I'm not fond of marshes and bogs....not to mention I don't have good memories of La from the twice i've been there, but i'm hoping to change my perception of La. with Simucon. I just hope my husband's not deployed again next year so maybe we can go.

Watch out, I'm coming, and when I get to you it's not going to be pretty!
Re: SIMUCON 03/26/2005 09:04 AM CST
Louisiana? SimuCon's in Missouri.

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
Re: SIMUCON 03/28/2005 02:53 PM CST
Ok, Here is my 2 cents.

Like everyone said mainly the reason I don't want to register is the cost.

First, lets think about what simucon is. It's a gathering of players that love Simu games. Now why are these people traveling out of their way and taking time off of school/work to attend? It's not cause they want to learn about how stealth is going to be changed next year. They can learn that without leaving the house. They are going cause they enjoy the friends they have met online and would like to meet them in RL.

So I say, make SimuCon about even more about the people. I don't want a fancy catered meal. I want to drink a beer eat a burger and talking about random BS. I want to get to know people, hang out have fun. Sure we are gonna talk about DR but thats not the only reason I think people go.

I also realize the price is more cause you have raffles and contest and give out prizes. Once again, I didn't travel to Missouri for a new cd rack.

So basically what i'm saying for myself, and probably some others, is I don't care about how fancy this hotel is I don't care about prizes and guild meetings.

I say find a cheaper hotel/convention center(with a bar of course), scratch random prizes, scratch the catered meals.

Have the dances, costume parties, game rooms AND THE BAR. Let people find their own food. Hell, find me a place to set up a grill and I'll buy hotdogs and hamburgers.

I'm just lookin for a party.

**If you seen Jhime give him a plat.
Re: SIMUCON 03/29/2005 06:32 AM CST
>>'Course, the location (Louisiana) could be better, I'm not fond of marshes and bogs....<<

That's NOCon coming up in August(shameless plug here) I live in Louisiana and I'm not fond of bogs and marshes either! Creepy things live there! Gators and swamp rats! ewwww! But we will be in the city and hopefully the creepy things will stay away!

Mikare/CyberPodMom/Cindy

NOCon!
August 5, 6, & 7, 2005
Fai do do in the Vieux Carre`
(Dance Party in the French Quarter)
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/3131/vieuxcarre.html
Laissez les Bon Temps Rouler!
(Let the good times roll!)
Re: SIMUCON 03/29/2005 10:20 AM CST
<<But we will be in the city and hopefully the creepy things will stay away!>>

You mean "Other than players" right?

Solomon

What's going on?
http://www.livejournal.com/~drbubba

Re: SIMUCON 03/29/2005 06:46 PM CST
>><<But we will be in the city and hopefully the creepy things will stay away!>>

You mean "Other than players" right?...Solomon<<

<chuckles> I was so hoping no one would comment on that statement...

Mikare/CyberPodMom/Cindy

NOCon!
August 5, 6, & 7, 2005
Fai do do in the Vieux Carre`
(Dance Party in the French Quarter)
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/3131/vieuxcarre.html
Laissez les Bon Temps Rouler!
(Let the good times roll!)
Re: SIMUCON 03/29/2005 06:52 PM CST
>>>><<But we will be in the city and hopefully the creepy things will stay away!>>

>>You mean "Other than players" right?...Solomon<<

Does that mean no GMs will be there? :(

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Mac OS X FE http://tinyurl.com/4btcl
Amagaim's What to Hunt Chart
Excel format: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
HTML format: http://tinyurl.com/6tpls