SIMUCON - IMPORTANT 03/23/2005 02:35 PM CST
Hi folks...

There seems to be a problem and we need your input.

We're looking at the numbers for SimuCon and they are, in a word, scary.

We are under contract with the Sheraton Westpost. That means that we need to meet certain obligations to them, most notably a certain number of hotel rooms booked and a certain number of people attending our meals.

What we're seeing is that the number of people signing up for the hotel is more than twice the number of people who are actually signing up for the Con. This means that people are taking advantage of the cheap rate at the hotel and planning on just "showing up" and not participating in the Convention itself. I think it's important that we let you know that those of you who are "crashing" the party are making it very hard for us to justify even having a convention at all, considering the time and effort that's put into pulling this whole thing off.

For those of you that don't already know this, we don't put SimuCon on to make money. Most years we barely break even. If this year continues in the direction it appears to be heading, we'll end up doing just as much work as we do for SimuCon every other year and we'll end up paying SIGNIFICANT amounts of money because we are not meeting our quotas.

I guess we just need to know what's up.

Those of you who normally come to the Con but haven't signed up yet....what's keeping you away this year?

Those of you who are "crashing" the party...do you just not care anything about the Con? Do you just want to see your friends? Are you aware that this negatively impacts the Convention? Does it matter?

Please note that we DO want honest answers here. While it's frustrating and disappointing that lots of you are chosing to crash the Con, giving us an honest answer about why you're doing so won't get you in trouble or anything. Likewise, if you're a Con Regular and aren't coming this year, we're not going to hate you for telling us why you're not attending. We seriously need to know.

If you'd prefer not to post your reasons, please feel free to email me at SIMU-SOLOMON@play.net and let me know what's on your mind.

Thanks in advance.

Bubba
Re: SIMUCON - IMPORTANT 03/23/2005 02:59 PM CST
>>Those of you who are "crashing" the party...do you just not care anything about the Con? Do you just want to see your friends? Are you aware that this negatively impacts the Convention? Does it matter?

I've crashed twice.
I've payed to attend once.

I enjoyed the years I crashed just as much as I enjoyed the year I was able to attend the Seminars. A person can learn pretty much everything that was said in a seminar by chattin' with their friends after the seminars so not bein' able to go to them isn't a major loss, for me. I'm still waitin' for things I heard about in the seminars I went to from two years ago to be released. While enjoyable the seminars come across as just another tease of what's to come... eventually.

Biggest reason I crash is becasue I can't afford the price of the con and the price of the hotel. Generally I can barely afford the hotel, but since it's only a 4 hour drive for me It's pretty much my only cost othe than minimal food.

The main reason I tend to go is to hang out with folks I know IG and to be able to talk DR with someone other than the two folks that live up the road from me for a change.

As far as negativly impacting anything, well I never stopped to think about it.

The Turle Moves
Re: SIMUCON - IMPORTANT 03/23/2005 04:02 PM CST
In a word....Cost...Simucon is just too expensive for me to attend. It's 200 bucks for the ticket...100 bucks or more for the hotel...plus fuel to get there? Heh. That's my rent...and Simutronics bills for the month. So there you go Bubba..my reasons for not attending the con. As much as I would like to, it's just not financially possible for me.

Liz

Never knock on death's door. Ring the doorbell and run, he hates that.
Re: SIMUCON - IMPORTANT 03/23/2005 05:15 PM CST
Alot of people play DR, or at least started it, because their comps where too old and crummy to handle more advanced games. They just didnt' have the money to afford better upgrades. Granted this isn't the case with everyone but it happens, alot.

Throw in this circumstance along with paying 200+ dollars to get into the con, double that for travel expense (gas?), and then add another $100 for hotel....ya that leaves just about either 1) really rich people that happen to play the game outa shear enjoyment and 2) really rich rangers an traders that sell plat =P .

Not only that...but in general respect to other things such as renaissance fairs that have most of the fantasy aspects, costume aspects, contest,shops, etc etc... your loosing out on several hundred more dollars by going to the con. I could go to the Texas Renaissance Festival, biggest in the country, and get most of what I could at SimuCon for about $35 dollars. About the only thing I'm leaving behind is "discussions" and seminars about the future aspects of the games...which in all rights should be told to us by the GMs on the forums ASAP anwyays unless its under NDA. As someone mentioned a post or two back also...the things usually discussed at the con aren't gonna be generally hitting any time soon. Lets face it, we all know the infamous "soon" word when it comes to updates around DR. DR just ain't developing that fast. When something big is rumored around, it can take years to actually take effect. Theres just no need in dropping money to hear about it that much sooner at a seminar.

Ya seeing people is cool. That would be the main reason I would be going if I could. But reserve a spot in a park, drop down $20 bucks on some McDonalds, and put a buncha people together to stand around and talk about there times in the game... just can't justify the $600+ to do that in the con.

So in recap, I generally think that
1) Most DR people, hell, all gamers in general, aren't rich enough to put out that kinda money.
2) Competition cons/festivals are no where near that price.
3) Info from seminars is generally useless as it could be ages before that comes out and we can/should hear it on the forums.
4) It just shouldn't cost that much to go seem some friends.

Just my opinion anyways.

I was born once as a dying races last resort, I was strong.
I was born again as a weapon against friends, I was stronger.
I am now born from the dying wishes of my loved ones, and I'm pissed.

Re: SIMUCON - IMPORTANT 03/23/2005 06:04 PM CST
I went to the Con for the first time last year, but am not going this year. Mostly it's a monetary concern.

Maybe it would help people if they understood what exactly the convention fee paid for. It's mostly the rental of rooms at the hotel, right, and then the big dinner? Does the Simu-radio stuff cost you anything? Okay, here's my breakdown...

Seminars - As a few people have said, the motivation for these things wanes for two reasons. One, all the announcements are up on the boards soon anyway. No real difference to hearing it in person. Two, much of it is seemingly "we'd like to do this someday" stuff. That's nice to know, but I think many of us find it hard to get excited about it considering how much of that seems to take years (if ever) to get to fruition. The only advantage of being there is to be able to ask questions, but a lot of GMs are already really good at answering questions on the boards.

Seminars (exceptions) - Some seminars are less about announcements and more about giving players experience with certain things. I know last year there was one on quest design, for example. These clearly require the Con atmosphere, but are they able to justify themselves without the other informational seminars.

Game/fun nights - You pay for the meeting rooms where people meet and hang out, play cards, etc, but that's exactly the stuff people are able to "crash". Since the socialization is the big pull for a lot of people, that's providing a lot of service for basically free. Is there perhaps a way people could socialize without renting those rooms?

The Dinner - Any catered thing like that costs money, I think anyone would admit. But is it worth its cost to most people? Would sandwiches outside work just as well?

My point is simply that people don't understand what they're getting for their money, people are able to horn in on paid stuff for free, and perhaps some of the Con events aren't worth their cost.

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
Re: SIMUCON - IMPORTANT 03/23/2005 06:07 PM CST
That last post wasn't as coherent as I had hoped, but please take it in the spirit it is given. I'm not trying to weigh in with an opinion, just hopefully encouraging understanding on both sides.

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
Re: SIMUCON - IMPORTANT 03/23/2005 06:31 PM CST
90% of my con time is spent in the bar or at an outdoor/personal party. The other 10% is spent sleeping/eating/roaming the halls aimlessly.

The Turle Moves
Re: SIMUCON - IMPORTANT 03/23/2005 08:28 PM CST
I plan on trying to go, it would be nice to meet some of the people that I have "known" for 6 years. I will probobly only ever go this once unless it really blows me away. I recently got out of the navy, and just got to a steady job. Heh, I actually started a second job just because I want to go to the con. I really don't know if it will be worth it (I would like to think it will be), but I'll do what I can to get there. Its insanely expensive. I would like to go. Money doesn't grow on trees, and DR already costs me 50 bucks a month. I have been premie for 6 years now, Simu has made a lot of money from me. I may sound like I am rambling but to me they are all valid points.

~Deuce~

James, player of Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.

"Even In Your Darkest, Most Hellish Nightmares You Are Safe. But In Reality, Night Always Falls, And There In The Shadows, I Wait."
Re: SIMUCON - IMPORTANT 03/23/2005 09:06 PM CST
This is good stuff guys. I really do appreciate the input.

I'll check in later on or again tomorrow and check for more info. It's getting late.

Ya'll be good.

Solomon

What's going on?
http://www.livejournal.com/~drbubba

Re: SIMUCON - IMPORTANT 03/23/2005 11:16 PM CST
my account still works after he read my post, so he can't be ALL that bad LOL

~Deuce~

~Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.

"Even In Your Darkest, Most Hellish Nightmares You Are Safe. But In Reality, Night Always Falls, And There In The Shadows, I Wait."
Re: SIMUCON - IMPORTANT 03/23/2005 11:45 PM CST
I'd go in a heartbeat - if it cost a bit less. I don't need that much by way of amenities.

I agree with Arcelebor, mostly.

Mostly. (best Newt voice)

~Fyriestorme
Re: SIMUCON - IMPORTANT 03/24/2005 10:19 AM CST
I personally would LOVE to go, I've been playing the game for about 9 years now and yet I still can't afford to go. After the plane ticket, hotel and then the added cost of the actual event, that's a bit much. Plus when you add what I'm already paying for DR and have been since we've moved to web, right now I can only afford one addiction. I love DR and always have, but I just can't justify the cost to go. I would love to meet all the people that I have known for the past 9 years and still play, but once again, we're back at cost.

Jaime, player of Mircha
Re: SIMUCON - IMPORTANT 03/24/2005 11:35 AM CST
Travel expenses alone would put a damper on trying to decide to go to the con or not. Would probably spend a few hundred dollars on gas just trying to get down there. That and the week off I would need to go to the Con would be another hard thing to manage.

I was born once as a dying races last resort, I was strong.
I was born again as a weapon against friends, I was stronger.
I am now born from the dying wishes of my loved ones, and I'm pissed.