GIMP reviews? 07/29/2009 04:19 PM CDT
I have an older PC and a netbook with limited space so the Adobe suites are either too large or labor intensive. I've learned enough to use PSD AI & PMD at work for designing business cards, stationary, & designing my own greeting cards. Would there be a learning curve for GIMP? How does it stack up to CS2 - CS4? And how accessible are add ons? Plug ins, Gradients, Actions, Brushes etc etc ?

-Denz

It isn't a troll thread because we don't agree with you. A troll is when someone posts something (usually offensive) just to get a reaction from people - Copernicus
Re: GIMP reviews? 07/30/2009 06:00 AM CDT
I really, really like The GIMP, and I strongly suggest picking it up.

There is a bit of a learning curve, you do things a little differently than you do in Photoshop, but it's not that hard to pick up. It contains tools to do pretty much everything you described.

It's not as powerful as the stuff you pay for but it's still really good unless you need those high-end professional tools.

Rev. Reene

Uthgaar asks, "She has a scalpel and a creamy nutlog in her hands and no one is running?"
Re: GIMP reviews? 07/30/2009 06:36 AM CDT
>>It's not as powerful as the stuff you pay for but it's still really good unless you need those high-end professional tools.

Wait who said anything about paying for these things ?

I'll give it a whirl, I don't do stuff professionally so I don't need all the bells n whistles that PS provides (granted I don't know how to use em anyway so)

I used to draw (or as I call it mimic others work) really well but I lost interest in my art since I could never do my own work. As of late I've been real interested in graphic design and digital art and can't afford school so I everything I've learned has been self taught, through experimentation or catching a quick tut online.

On another note I've been thinking about grabbing a tablet that isn't too expensive. Was anyone had experiance with the new bamboo's ? (ie. the 100$ ones - not the older $400+ ones)

-Denz

It isn't a troll thread because we don't agree with you. A troll is when someone posts something (usually offensive) just to get a reaction from people - Copernicus
Re: GIMP reviews? 07/30/2009 04:30 PM CDT
For tablets I really recommend the Graphire 4. It costs a hundred bucks and is very durable, I've had mine for about four years.

Just don't lose your stylus like I did, thing cost 40 bucks to replace. :(

Rev. Reene

(1:45:46 AM) Mordiazi: The learned members of Elanthian society want to kick you in the nuts.
Re: GIMP reviews? 07/30/2009 05:00 PM CDT
I need a new tablet, myself. The massive evil border on an Intuos tablet has always proved completely unworkable for me... though it looks like they've fixed some of its arm-crippling issues in the Intous4? I've never held one, anyone?

What's with the Graphire's plastic shield thing? Physically it seems to be better shaped than the Bamboo, I've always hated the presence of keys on my tablets.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: GIMP reviews? 07/30/2009 05:07 PM CDT
Tabby's artwork for the win.

- Terra
Re: GIMP reviews? 08/01/2009 11:11 AM CDT
I still use an old intuos 1 tablet. Regarding software I use adobe photoshop cs3 and sometimes painter X. I prefer photoshop though because I'm way more familiar with it.