Character art 07/26/2009 10:43 AM CDT
So I've started messing around with my tablet and The GIMP lately, and I've started doing some personal character portraits. I just finished this one this morning:

http://reene.euphoricsoup.com/caelumia.png

I'd love to get some feedback from people and other artists. I'm also interested in taking a few commissions, because I'm sort of on an art kick lately and I'd like to get some practice drawing characters that aren't mine.

If anyone is interested they can hit me up on AIM at ReverendReene or shoot me an email.

Rev. Reene

You hear your mental voice echo, Axiarra, are you still around? We had um... an incident on the third floor.

Your mind hears Vermire thinking, "The screaming, angry souls of the damned count as an "incident?""
Re: Character art 07/26/2009 10:44 AM CDT
Looks good.

- Simon
Re: Character art 07/26/2009 11:02 AM CDT
Non artist POV. Looks great to me. I wish I could draw. :(

Player of Drevid

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Re: Character art 07/26/2009 11:04 AM CDT
Stick figures ftw?

- Simon
Re: Character art 07/26/2009 11:18 AM CDT
Pretty good, nice job! I like the shading on the hollow of the neck particularly, it's very "painterly". She has a nice general attitude as well, which is hard to do.

My suggestion would be to try altering your line color as well. You might end up not liking it, but then again, you might. It gives the image a little more oomph. So for instance the lines of the face would be darker tone but in the same family as the base skin color, the hair lineart would be a dark dark blondy yellow, etc.

Keep up the good work!

http://www.heromachine.com
Re: Character art 07/26/2009 11:47 AM CDT
We already had this conversation about Blonde Modern Day Elf.

I'm still waiting for Dark Haired Modern Day Elf.

The gauntlet has still been thrown.

SEND[Bramoir] Okay, you are all set, just make sure you use your name for the powers of good okay?
Re: Character art 07/26/2009 11:57 AM CDT
that's dumb qoln you're dumb :(

>> My suggestion would be to try altering your line color as well.

I have considered this, or at least just dropping the outlines altogether, but it never really turns out nearly as well for me. I did use this style for the Silent Guardians emblem I did, and that one turned out kind of okay, but it also took me a week to do versus this style that takes me about two hours.

Rev. Reene

You hear your mental voice echo, Axiarra, are you still around? We had um... an incident on the third floor.

Your mind hears Vermire thinking, "The screaming, angry souls of the damned count as an "incident?""
Re: Character art 07/26/2009 12:18 PM CDT
Does your art program allow for layers? That makes it a lot easier. This may all be super rudimentary for you, but for what it's worth, here's how I do lineart drawings.

I do the lineart first. A nice crisp black line drawing. I use Flash to draw in, but you can use whatever you like. The goal is to get your lines how you like them first, filled in with white and the rest transparent.

Once I have a white-filled black lineart illustration I'm happy with, I bring it into Photoshop and make two copies of it, each on its own layer. I set the top most layer to "Multiply", which lets any black lines underneath it show through no matter what. I set this layer to protect transparency, that way I can be all sloppy with my brush strokes and it doesn't matter.

The bottom layer I just leave at normal, it's there to let the black lines show through and not much else.

Then I color the top drawing. If I want a more animated look, I do solid blocks of color. If I want something more painterly, I use the lasso selection tool to pick my color areas with a 5 point (or whatever works) feather. That makes the colors you fill with look airbrushed and kinda nice. Gradients are also useful -- I'll select an area with the feathered lasso, then make a gradient with a very light version of the color I want and the actual color as the other gradient point, and fill the selected area. If it's a roundy type of area, I use the spherical gradient, otherwise I use one of the linear ones.

Most of the illustrations at http://www.heromachine.com/portfolio/ were done using that method.

Anyway, not sure if that's helpful or not. Sometimes I like the colored lines, but mostly I use black, I'm just kind of old-fashioned that way. The good thing about the layer/Multiply method above is that it lets you get the color right up onto the edge of the black lineart to make the final image nice and crisp. Assuming that's what the desired effect is, which it might not be. I don't do commissioned character illos any more but the method works pretty good for anyone.

http://www.heromachine.com
Re: Character art 07/26/2009 12:37 PM CDT
I use The GIMP and I do use layers. I have some rudimentary knowledge of all of the options for this stuff, but to be honest, I never use the extra options. Typically when I'm drawing something I will have two or two layers; the lines for the basic line drawing on a transparent layer, and the background reserved for coloring it all in. Sometimes I'll use more than that depending on what kind of elements I'm using in the drawing. I am pretty much only using the brush and eraser tools as well, though I can't tell you how nice it is to have pressure sensitivity for size.

I actually have my line drawing saved:

http://reene.euphoricsoup.com/cdraft.png

Keep in mind I'm an amateur with absolutely no formal art training and no great desire or push to become intimately familiar with a program as complicated as Photoshop or Illustrator, so nothing I do with these will be particularly spectacular.

Rev. Reene

Re: Character art 07/26/2009 02:38 PM CDT
But layers are so fun!

You have your substrate layer, your lineart, your cleaned lineart, your base colors, shadows, shades, lightsource, hilights, patterns, layer for quick selection blocking, spot colors...

The exquisiteness of shadow and highlight employed in the neck and cleavage could also be used along the sides of the neck and face (and the borders of hair and clothing over skin) to suggest more dimension.

By working on top of a low-saturation color rather than white, you can convincingly use dark shades of an opposing color (particularly grey purples and reds) instead of black and preserve (if desired) the contours of black clothing.

...man i need to draw stuff.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: Character art 07/27/2009 01:13 AM CDT
Caelumia,

As much as you've said that you're an amateur, and that any work that you will do will never be spectacular... I like your artwork. I've seen your other artwork before, and I've always thought the character portraits were great! Being an amateur and purely self-trained artist myself, I think it's wonderful that you enjoy drawing, and that you do it well. My artwork looked much worse than yours when I first started with a tablet! Your portrait might be a little rough, but you do a lot of things right (I love the ears, hair texture and the shading on the lips.) I don't know how in depth of a critique you really want, so I'll go basic unless you say otherwise.

Most of your shading is good. However, it is kind of directionless. When I'm done with lines and start coloring, I'll draw a little sun where I want my light source to be coming from and it helps me keep things organized. If you think about the shapes of the face as basic polygonal shapes, (http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/artistinaction/scotteaton/foundation/images/heads.jpg) it makes it easier to decide where you should shade, where you shouldn't, and where you should put highlights depending on the direction of your light.

Once you know where your shading should go, don't be afraid to use darker colors to shade with. (Especially since you use black outlines, it can be kind of harsh without any darker shading in the coloring.) I've been trying to color without lines too, but it's very hard. Technically, it is the "proper" way to digitally paint.. I'm just not that good yet to do it!

With the drawing itself, the nose is a little high.. but all of your other proportions are great.

I don't want to hijack your thread with my artwork, but I think it is a good example (not that it's anywhere close to perfect) for shading. Check out Terra's portrait on Elanthipedia - I made things (too) hard with an awkward pose and spent forever trying to shade properly. My shading was waaaay too light before, and I had to reshade it like 5 times to get it like it is now. Looking at it now, it still is a little too light in my opinion. But there is no way in hell I'm gonna start working on that again!

ps, I only used 2 layers too :)
Re: Character art 07/27/2009 10:02 PM CDT
Thanks a ton for all of your feedback!

My shading does need work. I do keep the direction of my light source in mind, but I've never tried sketching it in to keep it there as a reminder so I tend to get sloppy when I'm filling in details.

For my next one I will take your advice on more contrast in my shading. I think that would help offset the boldness of the outline a bit, which is something I'd like to do.

I think Mozzik volunteered for a portrait, so keep your eyes peeled for an ugly Elothean...

Rev. Reene

Uthgaar asks, "She has a scalpel and a creamy nutlog in her hands and no one is running?"
Re: Character art 07/28/2009 12:40 AM CDT
What are you charging for a portrait? I wouldn't mind having one.
Re: Character art 07/28/2009 12:42 AM CDT
I'm not charging right now. I suppose I'd take tips if anyone was so inclined :x but really I just want to practice a bit with my tablet and some of the new things I've been trying in GIMP.

Rev. Reene

Uthgaar asks, "She has a scalpel and a creamy nutlog in her hands and no one is running?"
Re: Character art 07/28/2009 01:05 AM CDT
Well if you need fodder.. I mean, subject material and you have the time... here I be!

You are Tabby Faye, a Human.
You have silver-flecked blue-grey eyes and a freckled nose. Your amber hair is short and straight, and is worn in a careless, windblown arrangement. You have smooth skin and a lithe figure.
You are slightly under average height for a Human.
You have a tattoo of a sinister-looking fae with ruined blue wings and red eyes on your shoulder.

You are wearing a fine canvas bodice adorned with a phantom sapphire set in brass filigree, a battered leather traveler's haversack, a leather back harness with a gracefully curved scimitar strapped to it, a branded leather holster, a long trailing scarf made from soft ivory-hued cashmere, some scuffed leather boots, an antiquated brass key pendant strung on a twisted silver chain, a long leather skirt split up the center to reveal an elegant firesilk underskirt, a distressed cropped leather jacket with three-quarter length sleeves, a scorched silver naphtha case lined with singed firesilk, some blackened steel-rimmed sun goggles with smudged lenses, and a mahogany brown crossbow.
Re: Character art 07/28/2009 01:11 AM CDT
I'll see what I can do!

Is the hair supposed to be a lighter or darker amber? I've met people who visualize both so I figure it's good to ask.

Rev. Reene

Re: Character art 07/28/2009 01:48 AM CDT
I made Tabby years before I knew who Christina Hendricks was. I would say if there was someone in real life who looked like how I imagined Tabby, (well the character Tabby.. as Tabby is also my real (nick)name.. ha) it would be her.

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2008/gallery/beauty_blunders/christina_hendricks.jpg

Her outfit is kind of steampunk, (http://brassgoggles.co.uk/images/katbretphotography.jpg) if you've heard of that. Not that you are obligated to draw the lower half of her body, but just in case you are.. the tap skirt description is kind of vague.

>look skirt
The brown leather of this skirt has a weathered appearance that suggests repeated exposure to intense heat. The skirt falls to drape just above the ankles and hugs the wearer's legs protectively. Split almost entirely up the center, the subtly parting leather daringly reveals a short skirt of elegantly tailored firesilk with warm sepia undertones.

I provided the links because you shouldn't be afraid to use reference pictures when drawing. Many amateur artists think its a big no no to look at pictures when they draw and try to do everything from their head. In reality, a lot of the top artists do quite a lot of research on clothing, props, anatomy and the time period and even take photographs of models in poses before they even start drawing. Human anatomy is quite complex and every little bit helps. Taking little ideas from different reference pictures for clothing, hair styles, and poses is fair game!
Re: Character art 07/28/2009 01:54 AM CDT
oops meant to put this second link for Christina Hendricks: http://www.topnews.in/light/files/images/Christina-Hendricks2.jpg
Re: Character art 07/28/2009 02:01 AM CDT
I look at tons of pictures so no worries there.

Personally I had a combination of Liv Kristine (for the face/features) and Gigi Edgley (Chiana from Farscape, for the body shape) in mind when original conceiving Cael's appearance.

But, you know, with freckles. Which may be slightly too subtle in my drawing, but I like how they turned out in this instance.

Rev. Reene

Re: Character art 07/28/2009 02:05 AM CDT
Oh god... Caelumia's version of my tattoo... The shame. The shame.
Re: Character art 07/28/2009 02:06 AM CDT
You're going to be in so much pain when I'm done with you.

Rev. Reene

Re: Character art 07/28/2009 08:22 AM CDT
I did notice the freckles, I thought they were great!
Re: Character art 07/28/2009 09:12 AM CDT
Oh, a quick and easy way to try to darken the shading you've done is to take the layer with the skin coloring and adjust the contrast, levels and/or brightness of the layer that has the skin coloring on it. If the skin is on its own layer, this would make it easier to do.. Although, I'm not sure how much control you have over these things with GIMP, so the point might be moot.
Re: Character art 07/28/2009 12:34 PM CDT
>>I'm not charging right now. I suppose I'd take tips if anyone was so inclined :x but really I just want to practice a bit with my tablet and some of the new things I've been trying in GIMP.

When she has reached some arbitrary skill level and is no longer drawing in order to learn, she'll form a Union and request payment up front.

~Nitish
Re: Character art 07/28/2009 02:55 PM CDT
>>When she has reached some arbitrary skill level and is no longer drawing in order to learn, she'll form a Union and request payment up front.

Makes sense to me. Why should she do it for free for other people?

I'd pay, except I don't want my mental image of my character shattered.

SEND[Bramoir] Okay, you are all set, just make sure you use your name for the powers of good okay?