Prev_page Previous 1
North Carolina 01/16/2003 10:58 PM CST
Well February 3rd is the day I head out of not so sunny California and head to the other side of the country and Winston Salem is where I am starting out when I get there. Anyone in that area? Any gatherings in the future? Would sure like to meet some people on that side of the country after I get over that 3000 mile drive!

~The blonde behind Alissia~
Re: North Carolina 01/17/2003 10:20 AM CST
HECK YEAH!

We've already had one gathering, affectionately termed "Siminicon" (Putting the UNC back in simUCoN... wait, I somehow got that wrong. Better ask Tvini what it was supposed to be). Anyway, we plan to have another... sometime. Location and date are as of yet undisclosed. I recommend UNC again because a) I'm a student here and I can stagger home if necessary b) There's a place that serves good General's Chicken here.

Anyway, AIM me at YourFriendSmapty, it's great to have you comin' this way!

-Craig, that guy that you've always been afraid of and player of Kaelh... all in one!
Re: North Carolina 01/17/2003 03:57 PM CST
I graduated from Wake Forest 2 years ago and I am up in that area a lot to visit friends.

Winston Salem is a great party town.

Jimi, what is SOLAR?

Farrell - Driver of Rayac
Re: North Carolina 01/18/2003 12:07 PM CST
I also have friends around Winston Salem. I go there a few times a month on average, I like to shop in Hanes Mall cause they have a Eddie Bauers shop in there and it's only about 2 hours from where I live in Fayetteville.

And Craig is right, the Chinese place there at UNC was awesome. I can't wait to meet up there again, get some generals chicken and head to the bar that has the 32oz Guiness for $6. And ya can't beat the big blue plastic cup.

Dave/Brisbois
Re: North Carolina 01/18/2003 12:44 PM CST
Well someone start planning! I eat chinese food, and drink beer though I cant ever say that Ive had them both at the same time. Im arriving around the 10th of Feb. Some time to unpack, get over a 3000 mile drive and I will be good to go again! Going to spend alot of time exploring, I cant wait to get there.

~The blonde behind Alissia~
Re: North Carolina 01/18/2003 01:05 PM CST
>Well someone start planning! I eat chinese food, and drink beer though I cant ever say that Ive had them both at the same time.

Yeah, we're odd like that ;)

Actually, how it happened. Is we started out in the bar and after drinking a few 32 oz'ers, we decided we had the munchies. So we went down to the chinese place and tore up the buffet. <g> It turned out pretty good.

Anyway, what's odd is I was just talking to Craig last night on AIM about putting another one together. I'll be at the Vegascon from Feb 7th - 9th and then I'm heading over to San Diego to visit some friends until the 14th. But once I'm back home from that trip I'm game for any weekend. As long as I don't get deployed out before then I'll be there...

Dave
Re: North Carolina 01/18/2003 01:24 PM CST
Well, Im game when everyone else is. Do you usually get a good amount of people? Ive got quite a few people that want to meet up when I get to that coast, it seems everyone I know is on that side of the country. And I will speak to the U.S Military about that deployment thing, see if they cant wait till after Chinese food and beer <winks> They have to get their priorities straight!

Debi ~The blonde behind Alissia~
Re: North Carolina 01/18/2003 03:17 PM CST
If ya wanna holler at us about the last get together and whatnot drop me a instant message at "Brisbois Vallere" and I'll pull ya into a chat with Craig and I. That'd be better then playing post tag on the boards. <g>

Dave
Re: North Carolina 01/18/2003 05:28 PM CST
This has nothing to do with nothing, but the NC thread reminded me of something funny. I'm from Raleigh, but moved to Tampa, FL. Someone here ask where I came from, and I told them North Carolina. He just shook his head and said "NORTH Carolina? Ya a yankee, huh?"

And the worst part, is -I- would have gone to jail for slapping out his three remaining teeth. The world is so unfair.

Scott/Ciek
Re: North Carolina 01/19/2003 12:30 PM CST
>>Jimi, what is SOLAR?

SOLAR, the Southern Orginization of Live Action Roleplaying.

Imagine DR played in the Real world and you are picturing a SOLAR event. From mages to warriors, thieves guilds to those who practice the illegal arts of necromancy and must constantly strive to keep it hidden, these are all parts of SOLAR.

The basics of tabletop roleplaying are still prevalent, but SOLAR is primarily a "do-it" game. Instead of imagining yourself fending off a group of orcs with your trusty sword and then rolling some dice to see what happens, you would actually fend off a group of "orcs" (actually players like yourself, who are taking their turn being monsters) with your trusty sword. The results are based upon both your skill and your character's skill with that sword, instead of the luck of a dice roll.

Magic in SOLAR is very simple. Each spell has a particular phrase that is associated with it (called a "verbal") so that when you're affected by a spell you know how to react. To actually 'cast' a spell you simply recite the "verbal" and throw a "spell packet" (which is basically a small bean bag) at your target. If you miss or if you make a mistake in your "verbal," the spell has no effect. Alchemy and poisons are done in the same manner.

SOLAR combat, when following the safety rules set by the game, is quite safe. What you're really doing is swinging your sword hard enough to make contact with, but not hurt, your opponent while you shout ("call" in SOLAR terms) the amount of damage that you do with your particular weapon. ((This information is taken off of the SOLAR website, however due to living the game every now and then lemme tell you. When you get hit by a boff, you know it. Taking a boff to the head or the groin isn't downy soft.))

For more information tune into WWW.SOLARINC.COM

The kingdom of Clanthia is comprised of those that live in Georgia, Cerroneth is Mississippi, and Shadowmoor is a joint of the Carolinas. Clock on the link to find out more information on bands in your area.

~jimi, driver of Ternith
Re: North Carolina 01/20/2003 10:27 AM CST
Thanks Jimi I will Check it out!
California to North Carolina in How Many Days? 02/06/2003 02:20 PM CST
Day one san francisco to Mojave california where my transmission promptly disintergrated. For those of you who dont know, I am moving to Winston Salem. Driving in a car with 2 kids, a cat and an iguana. Ive been stuck in Mojave for this being my third day while they repair it. My kids and I are ready to strangle each other. And I have taken to using my web cam to show everyone I know on Yahoo what the view looks like from my Best Western Hotel room. (Which seems to be the street, some cars and a mc donalds across the street.) I finally know what its like to be shipwrecked. I have started etching messages into the wall for my loved ones in case we dont make it out of here. Vegascon is going on 150 miles east of me and I cant even get that far (because you know I couldnt break down in someplace cool like Vegas, or even Topeka where I was supposed to spend 2 days with a friend) I have a hard time believing this place has no video rental store, a movie theatre or a 7-11. But for anyone wondering where the best place to start one of those businesses... come visit Mojave. My DR friends are pitching in and keeping me entertained with phone calls to the hotel. When the lady answers the phone and asks what room, they respond "I dont know, but its the crazy woman with the broken transmission" and they put the call right through.

Well I guess thats it for now. I keep wondering what North Carolina is like, pining for it as if I have been there before. Please.. send news of the real world and care packages filled with Starbucks and pictures of people with all their teeth!

Debi, the blonde behind Alissia who feels like she is the main character in some bad B list movie!
North Carolina Kindness 02/16/2003 06:25 PM CST
Well as I am sure that some of you read my post about my trip across the united states from California to North carolina. Well the nightmare has continued I am currently stranded east of Asheville because of the snow storm, my car is 4 miles west of me and I have no idea how im going to get back to it in the morning and the Iguana passed away in Oklahoma City. But this post isnt about the bad things.

I pulled off the interstate because there cars parked on it, trucks pulled off to the side and with my kids I didnt want to take any chances. Im sitting in a Denny's not knowing what to do. I was shaking from being scared of driving in that mess, my kids were tired and the hotel where I was was comepletely booked.

The waitress at Denny's tried to help giving me other hotels a few miles up the interstate but I couldnt get through. The ice was sliding my car every which way, tractor trailers were sliding into my lane and I couldnt do anything to stop it because me swerving would make my car skid. I was about ready to camp out in the denny's for the night and the people at the next table offered me and my kids a ride to the nearest hotel with a room 4 miles away in their 4w drive. I cant thank them enough, and as my introduction into North Carolina the kindness floored me and I just had to tell everyone how wonderful it was to have people willing to help.

Debi ~The blonde behind Alissia~

There are no stupid questions, only inquisitive idiots.
Re: North Carolina Kindness 02/17/2003 10:28 AM CST
Welcome to NC!
Hope it thaws soon, and hope the rest of your trip is smooth sailing. :)

Samantha, the driver of Seranth
Re: North Carolina Kindness 02/18/2003 04:50 PM CST
>>>> I was about ready to camp out in the denny's for the night and the people at the next table offered me and my kids a ride to the nearest hotel with a room 4 miles away in their 4w drive. I cant thank them enough, and as my introduction into North Carolina the kindness floored me and I just had to tell everyone how wonderful it was to have people willing to help.<<<<

youll find that to be the case across most of this wonderful state of ours...hope ya enjoy yer stay (not in the snow silly,in the state ive called home for 29 years)

Izzit
Master Tanner in Training
Re: North Carolina Kindness 02/21/2003 05:12 PM CST
>>I was about ready to camp out in the denny's for the night

I'm usually so hungry I would do this anyway.

I'm really happy that you got outta there though. Most people don't share my insatiable appetite.

-Craig. That guy who plays Kaelh. Unless he's eating.
North Carolina 01/20/2004 02:31 AM CST
Hey Nimmo...lets see if we can get something together for NC folks. I've spoken to Dyten and he's interested. So...anyone in NC interested in getting together?

Contact me at AllarskC@aol.com

Allarsk
Re: North Carolina 01/20/2004 07:55 AM CST
I'm not from NC - but I love to drive so long as it's on a weekend with enough notice. Would love to meet Nimm-oh! among others. ;-)

~Chris

"If you understand, things are just as they are; if you do not understand, things are just as they are." -- Zen proverb
Re: North Carolina 01/20/2004 11:05 AM CST
I'll prolly show if something gets put together. Just post the details.

Dave (the Killer formerly known as Brisbois)
North Carolina come on an raise up 10/21/2004 04:54 PM CDT
Why dont we get some gatherings going on in the big NC, im stationed here for another year or so and id hate having to drive ours just to hang out or whatnot.

Twan/Dorin

The moonblade spell must die.

Regardless, Elanthia dances from my strings, and if anything doesnt, it soon will.
Re: North Carolina come on an raise up 05/02/2005 04:20 PM CDT
Heh, any other NC players out there?

Leaffe
The most bitten man in Elanthia.
Don't eat that Leaffe!
Re: North Carolina come on an raise up 05/02/2005 11:13 PM CDT
NC here, just a few miles west of Charlotte.

Kyetn
Re: North Carolina come on an raise up 05/04/2005 11:56 PM CDT
Yup,theres a few of us here.

Will,the puppetmaster behind...
Izzit
Master Tanner In Training
Asirin
Priest of Meraud

>tap my case
You tap an ebony lockpick case labeled "Evil Elf" that you are wearing.

Re: North Carolina come on an raise up 05/06/2005 12:25 PM CDT
I'm in North Carolina. No one has managed a get together since Roxboro stopped hosting them.

Allarsk
Re: North Carolina come on an raise up 05/06/2005 05:00 PM CDT
I was always upset about missing those get togethers too,unfortunately work kinda takes precidence over DR in most cases. (kinda hard to play when you dont pay the power bill,cable bill,or most importantly the Simu bill)

Now that summer is almost upon us we should try to plan one since all I have to worry about is 2 jobs and not trying to juggle those with school.

Aren't most of the NC DR players in the Raleigh area tho?

Heh,better yet,were any of yall at the state Renn Faire about a month ago? I went with the players of Achrennight and Giladnight who came down from Pa. for a wedding,the entire time we were wondering if there were any other DR players walking within out midst.

Will,the puppetmaster behind...
Izzit
Master Tanner In Training
Asirin
Priest of Meraud

>tap my case
You tap an ebony lockpick case labeled "Evil Elf" that you are wearing.

North Carolina Redneck Ranger Society 09/22/2005 06:04 PM CDT
LOL I figured the title would get you guys attention. I know not all of you are rednecks so really I meant no offense to those that don't prefer the name. I was just excited to see so many of you living in NC and wanted to shout out to say hi to all of you. Marie and I live in Greensboro area our characters are named Aroamer and Laeorna so if you see us in game please stop to say hello we'd love to hear from you. ALso, sometime in the future "we aren't sure when cause I dont think we can afford it really" if any of you plan on going to a simucon let us know we can all pull our resources and make the ride over a little more fun and cheaper. Marie and I have visted simutronics, so to speak. All we saw was the outside of the building though lol but it was extremely exciting for us. At any rate we hope life finds you all well and safe paths in the real world to you all.

___
http://www.geocities.com/forestwraiths/index.htm
___

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
Mark Twain
Re: North Carolina Redneck Ranger Society 09/25/2005 03:39 PM CDT
Well, I'm no longer in NC but my family still is. Live in Winston. I'm going to be there in October for my younger sister's second wedding. Anyway, I still like hearing about what's going on in NC even if I'm transplanted to Florida now. Ironically, gonna miss DisneyCon cause of my sister's wedding in NC. So, hello NC!

~Eoworfinia~
A snow goblin reaches down and gently pets your corpse, then quickly looks about to make sure no one noticed.
Re: North Carolina Redneck Ranger Society 10/07/2005 04:32 AM CDT
I've tried to get people interested in getting together a few times. Seems we have an inertia problem in NC. I'm currently living in northern Chatham County, near the Chapel Hill line, but will be moving to Siler City sometimes in the next month...as soon as my Habitat House is finished. I'd love to try to get people together to meet and whatever.

Allison, player of Allarsk
North Carolina 01/31/2006 01:06 PM CST
There any fellow North Carolinians that play DR? I'm just curious, I live in Swansobor and work in Jacksonville, just wanted to see how many DR players there are in NC.

~ Thief Xizik ~

O divine art of subtlety and secrecy! Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible and hence we can hold the enemy's fate in our hands.

- Sun Tzu
Re: North Carolina 01/31/2006 01:16 PM CST
Swansobor? That is to say Swansboro!

~ Thief Xizik ~

O divine art of subtlety and secrecy! Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible and hence we can hold the enemy's fate in our hands.

- Sun Tzu
Re: North Carolina 02/01/2006 10:25 AM CST
Well despite currently going to grad school up in Pennsylvania, I still call North Carolina home, as far as the government knows. :just remembered that he got called back for jury duty: I grew up in Charlotte. My roommate at n. C. state was from jacksonville though.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros and Makona

"I would suggest taking everything as some sort of IC bias unless you see something which seems to offer incontrovertible proof of an OOC issue." -- Navak
Re: North Carolina 02/01/2006 01:30 PM CST
I still call NC home though I live in Florida now. The rest of my family still lives around the Winston Salem area and I visit there whenever I can.

~Eoworfinia~
A snow goblin reaches down and gently pets your corpse, then quickly looks about to make sure no one noticed.
Re: North Carolina 02/01/2006 04:40 PM CST
<<<<My roommate at n. C. state was from jacksonville though.>>>>
blah thats not true! Regardless of years, Daniel is certainly YOUR ROOMMATE. And I was pseudo roommate;)

Ragran to Rantjur:
"Remember that: you=weakling, rilely=adventurer."
Re: North Carolina 02/02/2006 12:25 PM CST
OK, let me fix that, my FIRST roomate at State was from Jacksonville.. My longest roommate and pseudo roommate got me addicted to this crack we call DR.

Nikpack

"I would suggest taking everything as some sort of IC bias unless you see something which seems to offer incontrovertible proof of an OOC issue." -- Navak
Re: North Carolina 02/02/2006 12:27 PM CST
You know me ... "It's tired and I'm late."

Nikpack

Re: North Carolina 02/04/2006 01:21 AM CST
I lived down the road from Chapel Hill for years. I just moved to Siler City in November.

Allarsk
Re: North Carolina 02/04/2006 11:35 AM CST
: grumbles how Siler City gave him his one speeding ticket because he was not paying attention when he was driving back to school one Easter morning :

Nikpack

Re: North Carolina 02/04/2006 10:11 PM CST
Hehehehe, Welcome neighbors. From Burlington.
Re: North Carolina 02/06/2006 05:10 AM CST
I've tried this before with no results...so let's throw it out there again...we really should have a get together...

Allarsk
Re: North Carolina 02/06/2006 08:43 PM CST
Hey Guys! Names Tim and my wife, whom I met in game over 2 years ago, and I live in Randleman near Greensboro. I agree we should all get together sometime. We'd both like that. Actualy, we should all get together and head up St. Louis and raid simu and harass solomon one weekend. Anyway great idea let's see if a Carolina DR cookout is possible.

There are some who call me.......Tim!
__

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
Mark Twain
Prev_page Previous 1