Oklahoma 05/13/2010 09:22 AM CDT
Hey everyone, just thought I"d chime in, hope everyone is doin good and made it through the first couple of rounds of storms from Texas to Kansas and easterly.

We got hit either by straight line winds or a tornado, not sure which. Couple of windows in the house blown out, a window on the shop blown out.

Horse fence line had a few tree's fall down onto it. Which wasn't fun fixing, I hate having to fix it, least when a deer runs into it, its normally only the top strand that has to be fixed. Not this time...::mutters::

Quiet a bit of property damage but the house is still standing. Car has a few new dents thanks to baseball sized hail. I got smart before the storm hit our area, and put cardboard over my windshield and back window of my car (duck tape does come in handy!!!!) so no broken out windows there. House has a few more dents on the roof, but all in all, we pulled through ok.

Was down with no electricity for about 24 hours, phone was out from monday evening till last night which sucked since I wanted to get online. Heh. Oh well, its Oklahoma!!!!

Anyone else out there surviving the storms?

Jim
Re: Oklahoma 05/13/2010 09:41 AM CDT
We were getting heavy winds in Austin yesterday but luckily no storms or straight line winds.
Re: Oklahoma 05/13/2010 09:51 AM CDT
It drizzled a few days ago here in Oakland, but I closed the window a little and nothing got wet.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Oklahoma 05/13/2010 10:00 AM CDT
>>It drizzled a few days ago here in Oakland, but I closed the window a little and nothing got wet.

Trade you drizzle for baseball sized hail?

Glad things are good in Texas. Anyone else in the midwest area hit as hard as I was?

Jim
Re: Oklahoma 05/13/2010 10:02 AM CDT
>Trade you drizzle for baseball sized hail?

I'm going to have to pass on that.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Oklahoma 05/13/2010 11:13 AM CDT
windows are for the faint-hearted
Re: Oklahoma 05/13/2010 09:11 PM CDT
Real men live in basements. amirite?
Re: Oklahoma 05/14/2010 09:37 AM CDT
exactly. and i can use the mirror down here when i want to practice kissing.
Re: Oklahoma 05/14/2010 09:46 AM CDT
LOL

Jim
Re: Oklahoma 05/15/2010 01:22 PM CDT
I haven't seen a lot of basements here in Oklahoma. I heard they flood around here. Anywho, yea, I woke up during that storm and was ready to duck for cover. We just ended up with a lot of downed branches. There ended up being an F2 tornado about a half mile away that tore up a few buildings. I couldn't believe how much damage the straight-lying winds caused in Tulsa!
Re: Oklahoma 05/16/2010 04:32 PM CDT
>>I haven't seen a lot of basements here in Oklahoma. I heard they flood around here. Anywho, yea, I woke up during that storm and was ready to duck for cover. We just ended up with a lot of downed branches. There ended up being an F2 tornado about a half mile away that tore up a few buildings. I couldn't believe how much damage the straight-lying winds caused in Tulsa!

Heh, just ran from the one goin through Kingfisher near the Logan county border, just NW of Edmond in Oklahoma County.

Looks like its passing, but man did you see that hail storm near Moore? LOL. Looks like it snowed!!!!!

Jim
Re: Oklahoma 05/17/2010 01:11 PM CDT
NW Kansas has been quiet so far this year. Last year too actually, didn't have to spend any time in the basement. Year before that we were down there every other week. Thank goodness for wireless, eh?

-Guardian Lord Alaxndr Durnovaria, Advocate of Therengia

"A knight is sworn to valor
His heart knows only virtue
His blade defends the helpless
His words speak only truth
His wrath undoes the wicked."
Re: Oklahoma 05/20/2010 08:02 AM CDT
Ok, last night was the closest I've come to almost losing my house. Pulled out of my driveway and onto my road, went about 100 yards, made a right turn, looked back in the rearview and noticed, I had about 18 storm chasers/trackers RIGHT behind me. How they were able to keep up with me doing 65 on a dirt road with dust kicking up everywhere is beyond me. Watched a tornado drop out of the sky (bout an EF2) less than a 1/4 mile from my house, freaked me out. Thought I lost the house. But escaped it.

Drove through 2 more, thought I was getting away from the things, turned out, I have bad direction thoughts, and drove right through 2 of them. As the news was reporting it on the radio, I was the idiot they were talkin about that was driving right for them! Last one I followed trying to get into town to check on my mother in law and my wife (who was at work), and a friend of mine who's a single mother.

Needless to say, I now have a few more dents to add to my collection on my car. All in all, 4 tornado's in less than an hour....Think someone's telling me its time to move.....heh...

Jim
Re: Oklahoma 05/20/2010 09:48 AM CDT
The weather's trying to take your house now? Sheesh.

At least you'll have a horse and some cats.

- Executioner Korsik Rippentropp, Sociopath of M'riss

Baum says to Lillietta, "Problem is that Korsik is a very big boy."
Lillietta says, "He is mentally unstable."
Re: Oklahoma 05/20/2010 10:22 AM CDT
Jim, you are a chronic internet overshare-er.

Eladrin
Re: Oklahoma 05/21/2010 04:26 AM CDT
You don't drive when there's a tornado warning. Especially in the corridors. You won't get a tornado warning without a funnel cloud on the ground anywhere from Oklahoma to Nebraska during the season.

I really thought this sort of thing was common sense.
Re: Oklahoma 05/23/2010 11:32 AM CDT
>>You won't get a tornado warning without a funnel cloud on the ground anywhere from Oklahoma to Nebraska during the season.<<

Not true, because that is extremely dangerous. During that same storm last Wednesday, my area had a warning and was predicted about an hour in advance. The storm was horrible, sirens were going off, and I turned off DR and took cover (first time I ever had to do that!). There was no touch-down, thankfully, cause it would have been very bad. No warning without a touchdown? No time to get safe.
Re: Oklahoma 05/23/2010 01:55 PM CDT
>>You don't drive when there's a tornado warning. Especially in the corridors. You won't get a tornado warning without a funnel cloud on the ground anywhere from Oklahoma to Nebraska during the season.

Not true on that one. Oklahoma will sound the siren when things look like trouble for tornado's. Maybe in Kansas, they don't sound the sirens unless there is a tornado on the ground. Which, gives you seconds to run for cover. Here, the sirens will sound if the whole storm is rotating. Wall clouds are what produce tornado's with the inflow (rotation). And if you have inflow and a wall cloud, your almost guaranteed to get a tornado.

So here, once a wall cloud is spotted, they sound the sirens. It might take that wall cloud 2 minutes to an hour to produce a tornado, but at least I have that 2 minutes to an hour to get in my shelter. Or in my case, drive into, instead of away from, one. Storms here just pop up. And there's nothing you can do, except duck and run.

Jim
Re: Oklahoma 05/24/2010 09:34 AM CDT
You hear the Sirens = Maybe a tornado.
You see the Storm chasers = Take cover!

Thats always worked for me Grin

Pomae

Any questions and/or comments can be sent to me at Mod-Pomae@Play.net, or Board Supervisor Annwyl at dr-annwyl@play.net
Hello from Oklahoma 06/28/2010 10:16 AM CDT
Hey guys!

I just reactivated my DR account and completely forgot about the forums.

So how are all the folks doin' in oklahoma that play DR?

Mike
tpo Kythera
Re: Hello from Oklahoma 06/28/2010 06:12 PM CDT
waterlogged...and someone forgot to pay the OGE bill...so no A/C!

Where you in OK? Down in the Guthrie area myself.

Jim
Re: Hello from Oklahoma 06/29/2010 08:17 AM CDT
Stillwater here, Or Boone City if you prefer.

Mike
Re: Hello from Oklahoma 06/29/2010 10:02 AM CDT
Heh, not that far from me at all, about 30 minutes. We should get together one of these days for a few cold ones. I'm in Stillwater once every couple of weeks of late. Was out there a week ago at the social security office. Love the gas station there. LOL. Even got a pic of the place. Will have to post it on my facebook page "soonish".

For those that don't know what I"m talking about, there's a gas station in Stillwater, Oklahoma, called, Kum & Go. Off of Perkin's Rd. First time I saw it, yeah, I got a great laugh out of it. Leave it to a college town to think of a name like that.

Jim
Re: Hello from Oklahoma 06/29/2010 01:07 PM CDT
I am pretty sure that gas station is a chain. I have seen a few of them in Colorado before the one in stilly openned up.

But, on the good side, they do have t-shirts for sale if you find that nobody believes you that the gas station exist.

Mike
Re: Hello from Oklahoma 06/29/2010 05:36 PM CDT
yeah I know about the T-Shirt, I almost bought one...just because...lol....I'll have to let you know the next time I go through Stillwater, which might be next weekend. Not this coming weekend of July 4th, but the one after.

Where's a good place to get a cold one out there? I'll see about buyin you a cold one and yack about DR or something.

Jim
Re: Hello from Oklahoma 06/30/2010 01:19 PM CDT
There is always a place like Buffalo Wild Wings and Eskimo joes (if it isn't their birthday bash).

Mike
Re: Hello from Oklahoma 07/01/2010 01:08 PM CDT
You know, I've never been to Eskimo Joes. Ever...and I've been here since 97....the wife and I might both be out there. She's a player also. Might be the only chance I get to get to Eskimo Joes...lol...

Jim
Re: Hello from Oklahoma 07/02/2010 11:41 AM CDT
<-- Mike's wife.

Sounds like a plan in the works, I'll be there too :)

Sharon, player of Suruli, Kupu and Whyt.
Re: Hello from Oklahoma 07/04/2010 12:03 PM CDT
Hopefully after paying bills the weekend of the 9th, we'll try to get together on the 10th for a few drinks and lunch at Eskimo Joes! Mike, send me another Email, I got yours but it somehow ended up in my spam box. Go figure.

Jim
Re: Hello from Oklahoma 07/08/2010 04:55 PM CDT
I sent you and email, let me know if went to your spam folder.
Re: Hello from Oklahoma 07/12/2010 10:14 PM CDT
Hello!

I'm Vern, faithful and spunky sidekick to Mike and Sharon, player of Abson and Linnu.

Stillwater as well, and back after a long time off as well, this time with more stable billing!! Glad to hear there's OK players!

With luck, I will once again spread the DR contagion further, mwah-hah-hah!!!

Vern
Re: Hello from Oklahoma 07/12/2010 11:52 PM CDT
schweetness!

Sorry about this past weekend Mike, things went crazy hectic. Car broke down for starters, and we ended up gettin a new truck, 12K worth of a new truck. Cringed at the payments, so I'm now looking for a part time thing on top of my fulltime thing, and yeah....hopefully we'll try to get together before the end of the summer for certain!

Jim
Re: Hello from Oklahoma 07/13/2010 01:41 PM CDT
It is no problem, we had truck issues too. Although ours is caused by a 6 dollar part that keeps going out.

Last weekend was my first full geek out DR weekend. It was rather fun.

Mike
Re: Oklahoma 04/02/2011 03:15 AM CDT
Lawton. Been living here since 98. Been playing DR since 95? Whenever we were still on AOL.

Deadly Deretis Desitus, Soldier of Ratha