Dallas Area 05/26/2009 01:08 AM CDT
I am going to be moving to Irving, TX in the next few months. However, I have never so much as flown over the region before. If we have anyone who is familiar with the Dallas metro area and willing to give advice about where to not get shot, I would appreciate an e-mail at DR-Armifer@play.net

-Armifer
<Kvlt> Step 1: Want stuff! Step 2: Be ambitious! Step 3: Believe in the ability of your fellow man to carry you to heights you are too incompetent to reach alone.
Re: Dallas Area 05/26/2009 07:08 AM CDT
Stay away from the Dallas Cowboys arena. They're still thugs plus they have falling sky!

Nikpack
player of more than I should list

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Dallas Area 05/26/2009 08:18 AM CDT
I lived both in Downtown Dallas and on the border of Garland for a little over a year, never even got aimed at.
Re: Dallas Area 06/13/2009 06:53 AM CDT
I live in Grand Prairie.. And they sure dont aim at me.. I leave the apartment for work as armed security.

>grin

Pomae

Any questions and/or comments can be sent to me at Mod-Pomae@Play.net, or Senior Board Moderator Annwyl at dr-annwyl@play.net or Board Supervisor Cecco at DR-Cecco@Play.net
Re: Dallas Area 06/13/2009 07:04 AM CDT
Oh Pomae you couldn't hurt a fly. :P

Rev. Reene

Szrael says, "I may deliberately do pretty awful things to my body, but you moon mages let terrible things happen right inside your own skulls."
Re: Dallas Area 06/13/2009 07:14 AM CDT
How'd you like that storm thursday night Pomae? It was pretty nasty when it got to Austin but it had calmed down a lot since it was in the Dallas area

Cute verbs and speaking from hiding are excellent ways to catch a lightning bolt in the face regardless of mystical ninja abilities.

-Armifer
Re: Dallas Area 06/13/2009 09:54 AM CDT
That storm was nasty nasty nasty. Strobe light all night long in my eyes thanks to all the lightning. And all that rain! Oy!
Re: Dallas Area 06/14/2009 05:47 PM CDT
I enjoyed it.. sat on the patio watching the storm.

Pomae

Any questions and/or comments can be sent to me at Mod-Pomae@Play.net, or Senior Board Moderator Annwyl at dr-annwyl@play.net or Board Supervisor Cecco at DR-Cecco@Play.net
Re: Dallas Area 06/29/2009 10:27 PM CDT
I live just outside of Ft. worth near the speedway. I actually worked in Irving for a couple years though. It's pretty nice I don't think you need to worry about getting shot.

Downtown Dallas at night is a different story though..

Why so serious?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n142/Sirzason/wmsheet2.jpg
Re: Dallas Area 07/02/2009 09:46 PM CDT
Probably the more scary thing is I live just north of there and make a special effort to drag any DR players I can find that live in Texas to Ren Faires and Haunted Houses.

You have been warned! :-P

GameMaster Audacia

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Re: Dallas Area 07/02/2009 09:49 PM CDT
If you manage to get Armifer to go to a Ren Faire with you and get photo evidence I'll pay for all of your liquor come next Simucon.

Rev. Reene

(1:37:09 PM) Telrenth: I haven't got the foggiest idea what the hell you're talking about. Which, now that I think back on things, is about normal for the first few minutes of a conversation with you.
Re: Dallas Area 07/02/2009 10:00 PM CDT
I really should go some year, I'm only a few hours from Plantersville

Cute verbs and speaking from hiding are excellent ways to catch a lightning bolt in the face regardless of mystical ninja abilities.

-Armifer
Re: Dallas Area 07/02/2009 10:24 PM CDT
>>If you manage to get Armifer to go to a Ren Faire with you and get photo evidence I'll pay for all of your liquor come next Simucon.

Careful... you might need to bust out scientific notation to figure out that bill.
Re: Dallas Area 07/02/2009 10:30 PM CDT
I'm so confident it'll never ever happen I'm not too worried.

Rev. Reene

(1:37:09 PM) Telrenth: I haven't got the foggiest idea what the hell you're talking about. Which, now that I think back on things, is about normal for the first few minutes of a conversation with you.
Re: Dallas Area 07/04/2009 07:05 AM CDT
Speaking of the Dallas area. My next assignment is going to be Dyess AFB in Abilene. Are there any Renfaires near by?
Re: Dallas Area 07/04/2009 10:17 AM CDT
Deal, Reene :-) Luckily, I am not expensive to get drunk :-P

Abilene isn't TOO far from the Dallas area Ren Faire - Scarborough faire - which is April-May. The Texas Ren Faire is down near Houston so that would be quite a hike, it is Oct-Nov.

GameMaster Audacia

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Re: Dallas Area 07/04/2009 02:24 PM CDT
Thanks.

I've been to the one in Houston before in '99. It was pretty nice. I'll definitely be going to the Scarborough faire every year I'm there.
Re: Dallas Area 07/06/2009 02:48 PM CDT
>>If you manage to get Armifer to go to a Ren Faire with you and get photo evidence I'll pay for all of your liquor come next Simucon.

Unfortunately, I think I know too much about Western history to enjoy a ren faire. Verily, forsooth.

I could get behind a suitably creepy haunted house, though.

-Armifer
<Kvlt> Step 1: Want stuff! Step 2: Be ambitious! Step 3: Believe in the ability of your fellow man to carry you to heights you are too incompetent to reach alone.
Re: Dallas Area 07/06/2009 03:39 PM CDT
>>I could get behind a suitably creepy haunted house, though.

They used to have a great one on the north side of Waco, not sure if it's still open. That's one of the set-up ones. If you want to see a creepy house and are ever in the San Jose, California area I suggest checking out the Winchester house. Very strange

-Armifer
Re: Dallas Area 07/06/2009 04:03 PM CDT
"If you want to see a creepy house and are ever in the San Jose, California area I suggest checking out the Winchester house. Very strange"

To add...I'd suggest taking the flashlight (night time) tour of the Winchester Mystery house, its much more spooky than the regular (daylight) tour.
Re: Dallas Area 07/07/2009 12:04 PM CDT
It is a dream of mine to go on a "flashlight" tour of the Winchester House. As I am fascinated with all old houses, and even work part time in the Mark Twain House in Hartford, CT, I drag people to all the old historic homes I can. Anyone in the CT area who would like to go to Dudleytown, let me know, that is one of the creepiest places I have ever been.

Francelia (the lost empath)

Re: Dallas Area 07/27/2009 08:11 PM CDT
Super late on the conversation again.

I wanted to mention though that the Texas Ren Fest in Plantersville is high on my list of craziest/wildest experiences.

You should all go.

Why so serious?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n142/Sirzason/wmsheet2.jpg
Re: Dallas Area 07/28/2009 01:25 AM CDT
How far and in what direction from Dallas is that one?

Bryan, player of Mordiazi
Re: Dallas Area 07/28/2009 08:24 AM CDT
>>How far and in what direction from Dallas is that one?

Not sure which one you're talking about but the Plantersville one is near Houston

-Armifer
Re: Dallas Area 07/28/2009 09:12 AM CDT
Ah, okay...I've been to that one back in '99 then.

I'm just moving to Abilene in a couple of months, so I guess there's just that one nearby south of Dallas.

Bryan, player of Mordiazi
Re: Dallas Area 07/28/2009 09:25 AM CDT
A list of renaissance fairs in Texas:

http://www.thebards.net/txrenfaires.shtml

From what I've heard, the Scarborough Fair is a pretty good one to go to.
Re: Dallas Area 07/28/2009 01:20 PM CDT
We have a group of DR players and GMs that go to Scarborough and Texas Ren Fest every year. Anyone who wants to join us, please do! We always have a blast, it is a great group of people.

SGM Audacia

Re: Dallas Area 07/28/2009 11:17 PM CDT
Texas Ren Fest in Houston =O I wanna go, when when? =D Who's comin'?
Re: Dallas Area 07/29/2009 12:56 PM CDT
The DR group is going to Texas Ren Fest October 9-11 which is opening weekend. Tickets are cheap if you buy them in advance. We will all camp all weekend, FUN!!!

SGM Audacia

Re: Dallas Area 07/29/2009 04:52 PM CDT
=D I'll have to come visit you guys one day, it'll be fun. =] Since I live in Houston it's not too far from meh =]
Dallas Area Help 10/20/2009 06:41 PM CDT
I have the worlds oddest favor to ask of strangers but I am going to ask anyway. Back in August I had a pretty bad accident in Oklahoma while moving from Illinois to California. We got very lucky really, but both of my dogs were in my vehicle at the time of the accident, and one of them took off running toward Texas. (I have posted about this before sorry for the repeat) I have been checking rescues and shelters ever since but have not been able to find him. Last week I did another search and there is a dog in a shelter in Dallas that looks a lot like him, but when I called they would not really give me any information, the lady I talked to seemed to think it was pretty impossible for it to be my dog and said that they do not release information about animals to people that are not residents of the state, she was not in the best of moods...

The accident was August 2nd, and the dog went into the shelter on September 9th. They have a silly name on the dog now and I am guessing he is up for adoption now, the picture looks a lot like our dog, but he has white on one foot, my dog does not. I asked the lady if they could tell me what kind of collars he had on and she would just not really help me. I think it is possible they would be nicer to an actual Texas resident, since the goal is likely to adopt out the dogs.

If any one is near Dallas Animal Services and would be able to please make a call, I would appreciate it more than I can say. I have all the information on the dog and would be happy to forward it.

email is Bluturtl1428@aol.com

Thanks so much for reading my ramblings :o) , and sorry for being so long winded.
Re: Dallas Area Help 10/20/2009 09:02 PM CDT
I wish I lived there so I could help. My heart goes out to you.. pets are so much a part of our family. Good luck. =)

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." --Mark Twain
Re: Dallas Area Help 10/21/2009 10:25 PM CDT
I wish I could help too, but I don't know anyone in Texas. I can't even imagine what you're going through. Good luck.

- A dog lover.
Re: Dallas Area Help 10/22/2009 12:04 AM CDT
I have a jack Russell and a Sheltie I do not know what I would do if one of them ever became lost, sometimes I think my hubby is sooner replaceable. Just kidding of course, but I do love my pooches.

I hope they find their way back to your loving arms.

Best wishes.

Miv
I would rather have an intelligent enemy than a stupid friend.
Re: Dallas Area Help 10/22/2009 08:32 PM CDT
just an update.

The player of Koryu was kind enough to go to the shelter and look at the dog, it was not ours unfortunately. I am hoping that it means that the people who found him love him so much they could not turn him in, but I will keep watching shelters.

I can not possibly express how thankful I am to her for just going to check, and to the other people who were kind enough to email me to offer help, it really is a testament to how amazing the people that play this game can be.

I have made some of the greatest friends, moved across the country, and have been reminded how awesome people can be, all because of a text based game.

Thank you again.
Re: Dallas Area Help 10/22/2009 08:39 PM CDT
>>The player of Koryu was kind enough to go to the shelter and look at the dog,

What an awesome thing to do.

-- Player of Szrael --
Re: Dallas Area Help 10/22/2009 11:05 PM CDT
<<The player of Koryu was kind enough to go to the shelter and look at the dog>>

Koryu rocks. I'm not surprised at all she helped you out. :)

Best of look with the hunt! I have my fingers crossed for you.

Solomon

Fight me:
http://la-bubbita.mybrute.com
Re: Dallas Area Help 10/22/2009 11:37 PM CDT
Aww thanks guys :)

It was the least I could do. I know I'd be crazy if it were me in the same situation. Just sorry that it wasn't better news in the end.

Koryu, player of.
Re: Dallas Area Help 10/23/2009 04:13 AM CDT
No seriously, that was an awesome thing you did Koryu. Three cheers to you.

Nikpack

The gods are jerks. No, really.
-Armifer
Re: Dallas Area Help 10/23/2009 07:18 PM CDT
>>No seriously, that was an awesome thing you did Koryu. Three cheers to you.

Was truly an amazingly nice thing to do. Quoting Nik for further agreement.

SEND[Bramoir] Okay, you are all set, just make sure you use your name for the powers of good okay?