Kansas City Renisance Fair 10/14/2008 08:17 AM CDT
Did anyone attend the Kansas City Ren fest this year? I went with some friends. Seemed like a state fair with fewer rides and merchants more geared to those who like to wear Renisance style and Medieval clothing. I was so angry that the ATM machine charged me a $3 fee for a withdrawl. Anyway, what did everyone think of it?

Re: Kansas City Renisance Fair 12/04/2008 02:42 PM CST
Hah, noticed this a few months late. The KC Renfest is amazing. The few rides they have are hand-operated (yes, two strapping young lads actually PUSH the giant dragon swing)

They have a real SCA Chapter that really beats the hell out of eachother in their skirmishes. The jousting is real - one of my friend's father is an armorer for the Jousters.

The King and Queen are kind of well, a word I can't say on these boards, but most of the actors are still solid. The Robin Hood skit is lots of fun, as are some of the comedy sketches.

All in all it's a great, fun place...just say away from the ferret guy - i think he travels around the country going from renfest to renfest...he dresses in a wierd conglomeration of rags and furs, and has 2-3 ferrets with him at all times. Unfortunately, he lives in the same van as the ferrets, and always smells strongly of ferret urine.

Oh yeah, turkey drumsticks are full of win.

After having worked there for a few years, i still go back every year i'm able (not as often, since there's a huge $ difference in getting in free every weekend and paying admission) But I haven't been back in about 5 years since I now live across the country. Good to see people are still enjoying it.