Disc golf 08/03/2004 08:56 PM CDT
I don't know if any of you folks are up for it, but I've been playing a lot of disc golf lately. If anyone in the area golfs or is interested in golfing, drop a line to my play.net address and maybe we can meet up at a course one day. For those interested in the sport, here's a good website to start your search: http://www.pdga.org. Here's a direct link to disc golf courses in the US: http://www.pdga.org/course/index.php.

It costs about $10-20 for a disc; I'd recommend getting at least two--a putter and a driver or fairway disc. Fairways are a bit easier to throw at first, and you'd probably end up gaining distance over a driver because you're more likely to throw it straight. You can order discs online via eBay, and I'm sure there are some links at the PDGA page. I got mine at the local Sports Authority.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, I normally go at least once on the weekend and once or twice a week. It takes about two or three hours to do 18 holes, and it's good exercise and good fun.

Hope to see you out on the course!

~Mike/Gulphphunger
Re: Disc golf 08/07/2004 11:57 AM CDT
Man I miss throwing some disc. Used to play all the time when I lived in Cincinnati. We had 5 or 6 nice public courses in the area. Since I've been in Tucson everyone looks at me like I'm nuts when I mention the game.

--Just a "clueless" Squire

Now I lay me down to sleep;
I pray Solomon my soul to keep.
If I should walk before I wake;
I pray that Simutronics a restore will make.
Re: Disc golf 08/07/2004 12:28 PM CDT
I'v always wanted to give it a go. An old air force buddy of mine used to play and said it was blast. I'm just cluless when it comes to doing some stuff. Please say it's as easy as throwing a frisbee. :D

sean, player of Phairdon, Wandyfarer

The difference between being lost and exploring is about 5 minutes and two right turns.

AIM Beaker326th
Re: Disc golf 08/07/2004 12:40 PM CDT
Disc golf is remarkably easy, but it takes forever to get truly good at it. If you can throw a frisbee, you can play. However, unless you have incredible upper-body strength, great accuracy, and a fairly impressive set of high-quality discs, you'll be putting yourself at a disadvantage.

All that said, I enjoy playing immensely, although I'm not too good. I can go par for the course on occasion, but usually I'm a few over.

Drongol's Player

PC also stands for "Paying Customer."
Re: Disc golf 08/07/2004 09:37 PM CDT
I would rather play ultimate frisbee!!

Player of Raydell, among many others.

Re: Disc golf 08/11/2004 05:13 PM CDT
>>I'v always wanted to give it a go. An old air force buddy of mine used to play and said it was blast. I'm just cluless when it comes to doing some stuff. Please say it's as easy as throwing a frisbee. :D

>Disc golf is remarkably easy, but it takes forever to get truly good at it. If you can throw a frisbee, you can play. However, unless you have incredible upper-body strength, great accuracy, and a fairly impressive set of high-quality discs, you'll be putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Well said. I just started trying a new stance on the throw, and I'm definitely noticing increased distance and accuracy, with one caveat: about every fourth throw goes way out into Timbuktu, and I am suddenly no longer in my happy place. Still, it can be good exercise looking for a lost disc. Then again, that's also how I got poison ivy. Hrm...seems this will require some more thought and training. And calamine lotion.

>>I would rather play ultimate frisbee!!

Me too, if it weren't for my lame ankle. I can't really do a whole lot of jumping or stop-and-go kind of stuff. Biking and hiking are fine, but most other things are a little sleptigarious and tend to gafflesmack my ankle all to hooey.

On a related note, hooray for made-up words!

Laters,

~Mike/Gulph
Disc golf tourneys 01/18/2005 05:00 PM CST
I noticed there were a couple of disc golfers out there, so I wanted to let you know about the Druid Hill Ice Bowl this Saturday at either 9:00am or 9:30 (not sure if you need to pre-register or not, but it's $15), and the McKeldin Area Ice Bowl (free, just show up) on the 29th. Fyrie's player and I will be there. Seems just ridiculous enough to be a good idea! Erm...by "good" I mean "stupidly cold."

Current forecast for Saturday: High 24, Low 18, snow all day.

Woo!

~Mike/player of Gulphphunger
Re: Disc golf tourneys 01/21/2005 09:29 AM CST
Yay! Golf! With discs! In the frigid!

~Fyrie