Medieval Treasure 09/29/2009 11:47 PM CDT
A man found a huge cache of Anglo-Saxon gold and silver objects in a field on a farm in Staffordshire, England. I thought this was extremely interesting and thought maybe someone else would appreciate it too.

I originally saw this article in my local newspaper (Southeast Missourian) and found a decent one online to link to everyone.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1215723/Staffordshire-hoard-Amateur-treasure-hunter-finds-Britains-biggest-haul-Anglo-Saxon-gold.html
Re: Medieval Treasure 09/29/2009 11:52 PM CDT
Is there a link to that story that isn't in a tabloid? Heh.

Rev. Reene

"Shard by shard she rearranges the world.
It looks the same, she says, but it is not.
It looks as they expect, but it is not."
Re: Medieval Treasure 09/29/2009 11:59 PM CDT
Well, here is the same I found quickly. I'm looking for the one I saw on my local paper's website. I'll repost shortly.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33004687/

Not much better than a tabloid.

lawl
Re: Medieval Treasure 09/30/2009 12:01 AM CDT
Here's the snippet I originally saw.

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1573323.html

Enjoy!
Re: Medieval Treasure 09/30/2009 12:27 AM CDT
That's pretty neat.

Sort of reminds me of the older people with metal detectors I used to see walking around on Oregon's beaches. Maybe they were on to something.

Rev. Reene

Re: Medieval Treasure 09/30/2009 01:13 AM CDT
Most people at Oregon beaches are on something alright.

Dartenian says, "The thing that makes Dragon Dance king is that it pretty much bonuses every single that can possibly be buffed for combat. Including at least two things that don't even exist."
Re: Medieval Treasure 09/30/2009 01:18 AM CDT
That's a good point.

Man do I miss building driftwood forts though.

Rev. Reene

Re: Medieval Treasure 09/30/2009 12:02 PM CDT
If I were looking for buried treasure, the pacific northwest is about the last place I'd look.
Re: Medieval Treasure 09/30/2009 12:06 PM CDT
Bill Gates has a case of vintage Windows 3.1 promotional coozies and a shrink-wrapped OEM unopened copy of Microsoft Bob buried under his swimming pool.

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Medieval Treasure 09/30/2009 12:35 PM CDT
Hey now, when I was eight or so I buried a time capsule in my front lawn.

The only thing of note I remember putting in there is a broken wristwatch. :\ I should dig it up and find out what else I buried...

Rev. Reene

Re: Medieval Treasure 09/30/2009 12:50 PM CDT
<< Reene: ...buried a time capsule...

Heh. We did that for a class project once around that age, or maybe 9 or 10 years old. Everyone had to bring something to put in, and I brought my Six Million Dollar Man Steve Austin action figure and put it in the capsule box. Which is worth bunches of money now if I would have kept it in good shape. :(

I also had my "run-away-from-home-stash" tucked in a dead tree in the back yard, just in case Mom and Dad grounded me one to many times. I would show them. I think I had a fork and steak knife stolen from the silverware drawer, a ziplock baggy full of Cocoa Pebbles, a snackbox of fossilized Sun-Maid Raisons, a couple of Star Wars trading cards for light reading to pass the time traveling the rails in a boxcar, and an extra pair of Super Friends underwear. I was never looking back man!

I think the stuff is still there three decades later. The Cocoa Pebbles are probably still good.

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Medieval Treasure 09/30/2009 12:56 PM CDT
<< My previous post.

Which has nothing to do with Medieval Treasure. Sorry Board Monitors, I am self-terminating now.

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Medieval Treasure 09/30/2009 02:31 PM CDT
>Which has nothing to do with Medieval Treasure. Sorry Board Monitors, I am self-terminating now.

I don't know. You mentioned the Six Million Dollar Man. That's pretty old, dare I say even medieval?

:P

Looking over the article it seems interesting, but I'm always leery of stuff like this because of the amount of hoaxes that seem to crop up in England. (Piltdown Man anyone?)

I still enjoyed it. Thanks :)

__
Join us in sharing information!
http://community.livejournal.com/drbookoftales/
View my RPnerderiffic IC journal here!
http://ysselt-dr.livejournal.com/

It will cost you 248 TDPs to raise your Charisma from 99 to 100
Re: Medieval Treasure 09/30/2009 04:34 PM CDT

Googled Piltdown Man. Oh..

Interesting.

Annwyl
Senior Board Monitor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing Senior Board Monitor DR-Annwyl@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor DR-Cecco@play.net.