Life in the Seas.. 06/29/2007 10:01 PM CDT
How did sailors in the old days... umm... do their "business"?
Re: Life in the Seas.. 06/29/2007 10:11 PM CDT

why

Rev. Reene

Ring the bells that can still ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in.

-- Leonard Cohen
Re: Life in the Seas.. 06/29/2007 10:25 PM CDT
Off the side I'm sure. Same way they do it now.

~Dulcinia

DRSaelia: I would delight in drilling holes in your bones.
DRSaelia: and tormenting you.
DRSaelia: and i would never
DRSaelia: ever
DRSaelia: regret it
Re: Life in the Seas.. 06/29/2007 11:14 PM CDT
>>How did sailors in the old days... umm... do their "business"?

Like gentlemen of finer upbringing, over a spot of grog. And, generally, they'd keep their word even if fortune and fate conspired against them. Of course, once lost they made no secret about wanting to get it back...

Hmm? Oh, that? What a rude little question to ask. You've got no call askin' a man how he waves his sword!

Seriously, the preferred method of the day was a chamberpot, though I suppose during the day when you were more likely to be outside you'd not bother using a chamberpot. Just walk off behind some bushes or behind a building, or off the side of the boat (or just jump into the water, if it wasn't going to muck up the drinking water). You didn't just drop trou and do it right there in front of other people, though, so some measure of privacy was required.

If you had a permanent structure and a lot of money (ie, royalty and the richest nobility), you would probably have a garderobe. Garderobe = attached outhouse (as opposed to an outhouse). You may have even had running water/sewer service, which would be dependant on what time period you were referencing or how thick the gnome population was in your area.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Life in the Seas.. 06/30/2007 01:40 AM CDT
>why

Cuz I'm curious like that and weird questions always seem to randomly pop in my head? I know, more often than not people look at me weird. Maybe I should change my avatar to a dead cat or something.
Re: Life in the Seas.. 07/03/2007 10:57 AM CDT
Poop deck.
Re: Life in the Seas.. 08/06/2007 06:37 PM CDT
I know I'm late but here goes.

The "head" (nautical term for the toilet) was at the front, bow, or fore typically near the base of the bowsprit, where the splashing of water served to clean the toilet area.

Ranger Silveroak, Elf-Forest Clan
"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me..." Genesis 27:3