Hose 03/15/2004 11:12 PM CST
I have some questions about hose, inspired by the new caravan at the festival:

1. Is hose worn with breeches? Or are stockings worn with breeches? Either or?

2. What about the different materials? Linen, wool, silk, and velvet hose are available in the caravan. Would different hose varieties be worn according to season? I'm under the impression that wool hose is an everyday hose of sorts; would the fancier materials be saved for fancier occasions?

3. And what about color? If my character is wearing black breeches, is it a fashion NO to also wear black hose? Should color be matched, alternated, or, again, either or?

4. Hose with boots? Hose with shoes? Boots with breeches? How the heck do I put together an outfit? :)

Standard DR-is-not-medieval-Europe disclaimers apply; I really just have no idea how to incorporate this clothing item into my characters' wardrobes. I'm not sure I even fully understand what it is, actually. Please help!

Thanks,
Player of Wogsworth, etc.
Re: Hose 03/16/2004 03:17 AM CST
although yes, its not medieval europe, i have a strong suspicion that "hose" here is very similar to the southern german <bavarian> and swiss "liederhosen"; and worn in the same fashion.

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
Re: Hose 03/16/2004 02:58 PM CST
Q: Is hose worn with breeches? Or are stockings worn with breeches? Either or?

A: It depends on the exact style being emulated. Elizabethan breeches (slops) tended to be worn with hose at first, but migrated on to the convenience of stockings. Throughout the rest of the breeches wearing eras, stockings were in.

Q. What about the different materials? Linen, wool, silk, and velvet hose are available in the caravan. Would different hose varieties be worn according to season? I'm under the impression that wool hose is an everyday hose of sorts; would the fancier materials be saved for fancier occasions?

A: Linen and wool hose were considered daily wear by all classes for men during most of the middle ages. In fact, in the 14th-15th centuries, no man wore pants unless he was a very backwater bumpkin or excruciatingly poor. Even most male beggars are shown in hose, just worn-out ones. Keep in mind that medieval hose is NOTHING like modern hose; it was (mostly) worn in two parts, laced up to the waist of the undergarments or tied below the knee. It is very practical and hardwearing when made in linen cloth or wool cloth, and wasn't generally knit or made the way we think of hose today.

Silk and velvet are for fine occasions.

A side note: Hose is extremely comfortable and practical, even to work in! I have a set of period middle class hose, and have done field work in it. They're worn over loose, soft boxers with a drawstring waist, and the standard for peasant men on hot days was to roll down their hose to their ankles, leaving their legs bare and white shorts showing under their tunic. This actually does not look stupid and is nice to be able to change for the weather without entirely changing clothes in the middle of the day.

Noble men wore very tall hose, laced as high up to the waist as they could, so they could wear very short (impractical) tunics and doublets. During the 15th century, hose was often joined into one piece because the tunics got so short it became a necessity. This also brought in the codpiece for practical reasons.

Women wore hose also, but they were always more like stockings, going up to or just past the knee, and tied with garters below the knee to hold them up. They wore dresses, hence no need to wear tall, masculine, hose. A woman wearing a full set of hose and a tunic or doublet was most definitely cross-dressing.

Q. And what about color? If my character is wearing black breeches, is it a fashion NO to also wear black hose? Should color be matched, alternated, or, again, either or?

A: Depends again as to what general style you are emulating. Late medieval styles were very flexible in their color coordination; personal taste was all that mattered. When you get past Elizabethan styles and into Regency (frock coats, etc.) then the stockings were almost always white with a few exceptions, regardless of the color of breeches. Black was the rare alternative.

Q. Hose with boots? Hose with shoes? Boots with breeches? How the heck do I put together an outfit? :)

A: Hose goes with shoes, slippers, or boots. In fact, thigh-high boots are best worn with hose though they can be crammed over breeches for a different effect. Bucket boots are designed to be worn with breeches (think Three Musketeers). If you are going for Elizabethan or Regency (think Dangerous Liaisons), then you want breeches, stockings, and shoes.

And yes, DR isn't real life. But there are some great styles from our past that can be drawn upon, and have been portrayed heavily in DR for many years. As a general guideline, early medieval (Norman, Saxon) tends to be from Therenborough; Late medieval, early renaissance tends to be from Riverhaven; Cavalier, Regency, and Victorian tend to be Zoluren (with Victorian being particularly Crossing-ish). The other provinces have their styles that range in inspiration from China to the Middle East; but nothing is absolute, these are only loose guidelines.

Hope that helps :)

---Brett
Re: Hose 03/16/2004 02:59 PM CST
>>>although yes, its not medieval europe, i have a strong suspicion that "hose" here is very similar to the southern german <bavarian> and swiss "liederhosen"; and worn in the same fashion.<<<

I don't have much knowledge about liederhosen, but isn't that generally some short legged overalls with stockings up to the knee?

If so (and I sure could be wrong about that), it's nothing like the hose for sale in the caravan.

---Brett
Re: Hose 03/16/2004 03:00 PM CST
Argh! brett knows entirely too much useless info! My mind is a mush from reading this thread :(

Thanks for reading
~Sammee
Re: Hose 03/17/2004 01:06 PM CST
>> And yes, DR isn't real life. But there are some great styles from our past that can be drawn upon, and have been portrayed heavily in DR for many years. As a general guideline, early medieval (Norman, Saxon) tends to be from Therenborough; Late medieval, early renaissance tends to be from Riverhaven; Cavalier, Regency, and Victorian tend to be Zoluren (with Victorian being particularly Crossing-ish). The other provinces have their styles that range in inspiration from China to the Middle East; but nothing is absolute, these are only loose guidelines. <<

The Rissan "hac" is modeled after an Ionian chiton.
Re: Hose 03/18/2004 10:11 AM CST
>>>The Rissan "hac" is modeled after an Ionian chiton. <<<

Cool, I wondered about that.

---Brett
Re: Hose 03/19/2004 10:37 AM CST
I always felt Aesry had a Samurai Era feel to it.

______
Who overcomes
By force hath overcome but half his foe.
- John Milton
Re: Hose 03/20/2004 12:42 AM CST
One last hose question: is it footed? Always/sometimes/never? My main character being an Olvi, he would not wear something that enclosed the feet -- but those checkered and particolored hose are otherwise irresistible.

Thank you all; this thread has been very helpful.

Player of Wogsworth, etc.
Re: Hose 03/21/2004 03:50 PM CST
Hose generally was footed, to be worn with any sort of shoe, even the lowcut ones - but there can be exceptions, I've seen some with stirrups. Since these don't say either way, take your pick.

---Brett
Re: Hose 03/23/2004 03:31 PM CST
<<I always felt Aesry had a Samurai Era feel to it>>

Yea, I get the Japanese feel with Aesry from the 16th and 17th c. I've tried to get as much for Seihjin's wardrobe from that style as possible but the selection isn't as large. Refusing to let him run out of clothes, I had to break down and be brainwashed (heh) into also wearing other styles like ... <<gasps>> hose! Now I can't even imagine not having a good hose/doublet combo in his vault ;)

If anyone knows where more of the Aesry type clothes are sold, do share :(

Eluresturi asks Keresyk in Ilithic, "What are you up to, demonic boy?"