Just read FOTR for the first time 01/05/2005 12:27 PM CST
I just read the Hobbit and the fellowship for the first time. Thought they were excellent and Im anxious to read TT and ROTK. I have seen all 3 extended movies 2-3 times each.

What is the general consensus on these movies among hopelessly addicted fans of the books?

I personally thought great justice was done to these books. I had never once heard of LOTR before I stumbled into the movie theatre (which I only did because another movie was sold out) and I would have never read the books had I not thought they were among the best movies I'd ever seen.

Regarding the fellowship, I can definitely see why they left out Tom Bombadil, as cool as that would have been. He adds nothing to the story and would have further confused people like me who had no idea what was going on. Also, I can definitely see why they switched around Moria whereas Gimli really wanted to go there, because that told me a lot about dwarves in general. Other changes were fine with me as well, and I realized I can sit here and say I wish they would have included this and that, but its a 3.5 hour freakin movie that is absolutely excellent.

Also there was no battle at the end such as was in the movie...I guess this is in the beginning of TT the book?

-Matt
Re: Just read FOTR for the first time 01/05/2005 12:40 PM CST
>What is the general consensus on these movies among hopelessly addicted fans of the books?

There are many small things that bug me slightly, but only a couple of big things. Overall they are all extremely well done.

Two Towers was the movie which strayed the furthest from the book, with the Elves showing up at the battle of Helm's Deep (but I guess that makes the movie "cooler" to have more Elves), and with Faramir taking Frodo and the ring back to Osgiliath (that was the main one that really bothered me, I always stop paying attention during that part of the movie)

>Also there was no battle at the end such as was in the movie...I guess this is in the beginning of TT the book?

Yeah, Boromir actually dies in the beginning of Two Towers, but I like the way the movies break it up better. One of the rare cases where changing the story from the book actually improves it

Apu
Re: Just read FOTR for the first time 01/05/2005 02:11 PM CST
>Two Towers was the movie which strayed the furthest from the book, with the Elves showing up at the battle of Helm's Deep (but I guess that makes the movie "cooler" to have more Elves), and with Faramir taking Frodo and the ring back to Osgiliath (that was the main one that really bothered me, I always stop paying attention during that part of the movie)

Exactly my gripe to with the movies. This was so out of alignment with the book, UGH!

My personal beef, no Bill the pony for Samwise. I think that would of been nice to of kept in.

If you want to get a feel of the depth of the Middle Earth culture, when you are done with the LOTR, read The Silmarillion. It has the consistency of the Bible or something out of Shakespeare, but if you manage through it, it is very rewarding in allowing you to appreciate the LOTRs even more.

Gidske
Re: Just read FOTR for the first time 01/05/2005 02:20 PM CST
>My personal beef, no Bill the pony for Samwise. I think that would of been nice to of kept in.

There was a bit of Bill the pony in the extended version... didn't see it all, but I know that there was a scene when Sam had to let him go before they went through the mines.

Re: Just read FOTR for the first time 01/21/2005 10:40 AM CST
The biggest let down for me was there was no Return to Hobbiton Battle and how the White Wizard was shown killed at his tower following the battle of Isengard.

___
Violence does not lead to more violence. The truth is that ineffective, unfocused violence leads to more death. However fully thought through, well executed violence never leads to more violence because afterwards, the other guys are all dead.
Re: Just read FOTR for the first time 01/21/2005 12:13 PM CST
>...and how the White Wizard was shown killed at his tower following the battle of Isengard.

Agreed. Poor Christopher Lee.

I do hope that Peter Jackson decides to make The Hobbit like the rumors that have been circulating say he will. If it's not him, I don't want it done. It will end up being a cheap imitation.

Re: Just read FOTR for the first time 01/21/2005 01:39 PM CST
Supposedly hes doing anotjher movie after king kong. "lovely bones" or soemthing like that.
Re: Just read FOTR for the first time 07/13/2009 10:12 AM CDT
My biggest problem with the movie was how they treated Dwarves, specifically Gimli. The hobbits provided enough comic relief so that they didn't need to pick on Gimli as much as they did for laughs. I'm a huge fan of dwarves so it was disappointing to see that.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - Thorin Oakenshield
Re: Just read FOTR for the first time 07/13/2009 07:19 PM CDT
Gimli and Legolas were there to provide the lines and action sequences needed for the pre-teen and ultra-nerdy crowd.

The people that got more than a mere grin from this interaction, are the same people that have tattoos from star wars episode 1-3.

/why is there an active post in the LOTR thread?
//IT'S ALL ABOUT THE HOBBIT NOW MAN
Re: Just read FOTR for the first time 07/13/2009 07:21 PM CDT
hell yeah the hobbit

I'm going to watch that movie so hard when it comes out

Rev. Reene

Kssarh says, "At least I have not had another Guildleader complain about you in a while."
>
Kssarh says, "Which is rather disappointing. You have a reputation to uphold."
Re: Just read FOTR for the first time 07/13/2009 07:33 PM CDT
Is it sad that I own a complete set of the LOTR movies in widescreen with bonus dvds as well as a complete set of the LOTR movies in widescreen extended edition with bonus dvds?

How about that I have watched every single extra on both sets, including all of the commentaries?

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: Just read FOTR for the first time 07/15/2009 02:35 PM CDT
>How about that I have watched every single extra on both sets, including all of the commentaries?

I plugged through most of those when I ran out of stuff to fall asleep to. Some of those post-production commentaries were pretty painful.

Aveda's Field Guide- http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com
Re: Just read FOTR for the first time 07/15/2009 05:44 PM CDT
I have to say I actually watch all three movies in one sitting... by the end I was throwing things at the screen. I think if I had tried to watch any of the bonus features, I would have thrown my television through the window.

Re: Just read FOTR for the first time 07/15/2009 06:16 PM CDT
<< ANNEGRAY: I have to say I actually watch all three movies in one sitting... by the end I was throwing things at the screen. I think if I had tried to watch any of the bonus features, I would have thrown my television through the window.

What inspired that reaction to the movies, if you don't mind a question or two?

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Just read FOTR for the first time 07/15/2009 06:28 PM CDT
I think it was just watching what seemed to be 12 hours of non stop movie, and the ending that seemed to go on and on and on and on.... and on.

"End the damn thing already!!!!" was what I was shouting by the time they all took the ship, a carrot got thrown, the cat was startled, the squirrel started throwing nuts from her perch on the ceiling fan. All and all I think over dose and over load caused me to have an adverse reaction to the LOTR Movies. Did I mention the ending went on?

Re: Just read FOTR for the first time 07/15/2009 06:45 PM CDT
<< ANNEGRAY: ...

LOL. Ah ha, got it.

Thanks,
~Brian/Bahb
Re: Just read FOTR for the first time 07/15/2009 10:28 PM CDT
<<I plugged through most of those when I ran out of stuff to fall asleep to. Some of those post-production commentaries were pretty painful

The one with the concept artists was a chore. I enjoyed the director's one and the technical artists one a lot. The cast one was hit or miss.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.