Books vs Movie 12/30/2003 04:43 PM CST
Ok, since I just finished reading Fellowship(got the books for christmas, pretty box set, read Hobbit first), I want to say..I for one am glad that they didnt follow the book. The entire first half of the book put me to sleep. I didnt wake up till the final third, when they finally reached Bree. I can honestly say, if Bombadil had been in the movie, I would have walked out. I wasnt paying to see a Musical, I was paying to see an Epic Adventure. Im sure Ill have more to say after reading TT, and ROTK, but that will be next week at the rate Im going!

David
Re: Books vs Movie 12/30/2003 04:54 PM CST
>Ok, since I just finished reading Fellowship(got the books for christmas, pretty box set, read Hobbit first), I want to say..I for one am glad that they didnt follow the book. The entire first half of the book put me to sleep. I didnt wake up till the final third, when they finally reached Bree. I can honestly say, if Bombadil had been in the movie, I would have walked out. I wasnt paying to see a Musical, I was paying to see an Epic Adventure. Im sure Ill have more to say after reading TT, and ROTK, but that will be next week at the rate Im going!

It always just depends on what kind of books you like. If you like books that get to the point and are full of drama and action and things like that, then the LotRs is not the book for you. If you enjoy books that go into detail (too much at times) and sometimes seem boring (but really aren't), then the LotRs and even the WoT series are great. I love both of them. I also like to read books by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and things like that. Hehe.

As far as the books vs movies goes, there would be hardly a movie worth seeing if it followed the book exactly. That is why books rock compared to movies. Sure, you can actually see things in the movies, but as far as detail and making sense, books rule. If they made any movie - including LotRs, Harry Potter, Kama Sutra - like the books, they would be boring <clears his throat>. I think they did a great job making the movies compared to the books as far as keeping them within the timeframe and keeping them interesting to watch.

--R*a*y**d*e*l**l, et al.

~The fluffy-huggy-lets be nice all the time attitude really brings this place down.
Re: Books vs Movie 12/30/2003 10:30 PM CST
G'day,

The interesting thing for me comparing the books and movies is that in many ways, the parts of the books that I liked the least are the parts of the movies that I like the best. Specifically the stuff with Frodo, Sam and Gollum treking to Mordor. When I reread the books I tend to skim those chapters a lot to get to the stuff I like. In the films, thanks largely I think to Andy Sirkis' performance as Gollum, I really like those parts.

Which is not to say I dislike other parts of the film, just I found it interesting that I enjoyed on film what I didn't much care for in the books. I think one of my favorite scenes in the final film is the charge of the Rohirimm onto the fields of Pelennor to save Minas Tirith. I got all goose-pimply when they started chanting "Death, Death, Death."

Regards,

Godrich de'Finchal

"You are like a mouse arguing with an owl. You think the owl is wrong, he thinks you are dinner."

http://webpages.charter.net/plblack/trader.html
Re: Books vs Movie 12/31/2003 02:39 AM CST
I know that when I'm choosing a book I like to pick one that goes into too much detail and bores me to read.

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia

It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything.
Re: Books vs Movie 12/31/2003 03:46 AM CST
<<I know that when I'm choosing a book I like to pick one that goes into too much detail and bores me to read.

Like freakin' Charles Dickens!

I have TRIED to read his books. I swear, I fall asleep trying to read any single one of them.

The only one I ever managed to get through entirely was "A Christmas Carol."

But..yeah..he's a real banger for unnecessary details.

There was a rumor that Dickens got paid by the word for the stories he wrote, and so the story goes that he padded his stories quite a bit to pull in some extra cash.

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com
Re: Books vs Movie 12/31/2003 12:15 PM CST
<<I know that when I'm choosing a book I like to pick one that goes into too much detail and bores me to read.

That's how I found House of Leaves. Unfortunately that thing has driven me mad! It is truly unique.

Dickens is indeed a tough one to keep up with. I liked Great Expectations but couldn't get far in A Tale of Two Cities. I'd read A Christmas Carol but I feel that I've seen so many different versions of it on screen that I'm sure just about every aspect of the book has been covered for me.

-Ranik
Re: Books vs Movie 12/31/2003 03:27 PM CST
Most of the best writers write with alot of boring detail at the start of the book so that when the climax of the book occurs you are so in tune with what is going on that the experience seems much more realistic. This why I like Herman Melville so much. He starts with so much seemingly boring detail that by the time the climax, usually the action part of the book, occurs, we are so in-tune with the characters and all that is behind the motives and perspectives of what is going on that we can truyly identify with the character and thus have a wonderful reading experience.

______
I had been my whole life a bell, and never knew it until at that moment I was lifted and struck.
- Annie Dillard
Re: Books vs Movie 01/01/2004 12:32 AM CST
<<<<This why I like Herman Melville so much.>>

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I sincerely hope you mean a different Melville, because I'm still having nightmares from having to read Moby D. about 8 years ago.

-Chakram

Not my fault... honest.
Re: Books vs Movie 01/01/2004 01:31 AM CST
Ugh..the evilest of GMs, go away Chakram*grunts teasingly*

Im not much for fantasy books for some reason. Give me a good Star Wars or BattleTech(death to Wizkids, Dark Age just stinks dangit)

But I digress. Tonight they showed Fellowship and Two Towers back to back on Starz, and I watched both, for like the 100th time, and I still find things that I missed first first 99 times. And I wished for ROTK to be put out on DVD and mailed to me immediately because I want to see it again and again. Im stalled on the books for a bit, but that will go away when Im feeling less mentally drained.

David
Re: Books vs Movie 01/01/2004 03:35 PM CST
Gah...did someone forget to put imbue Chakram into that ring that fell into the lava?? Does this mean we have to forge another and start all over again?? ::sigh:: Oh the horror.

Allarsk