More 'Lord of the Rings'?! 12/02/2003 01:19 PM CST
More 'Lord of the Rings'?!
December 2, 2003

Director PETER JACKSON, the force behind 'The Lord of The Rings' box-office hits, is pushing for yet another project to add to the trilogy. Jackson wants to shoot the prequel to the story, The Hobbit, which was published 17 years before Rings debuted. No word yet on when or if the filming will begin -- the famous director is tied up for the next two years with his next movie, a reimagining of 'King Kong.'

Kewl news.

Woodcubb of Ilithi
Re: More 'Lord of the Rings'?! 12/02/2003 02:19 PM CST
Heh. I figured they'd do that. Let's see them film The Silmarillion.

Steel.

YOU HAVE <insert ability here>!! YOU ARE OVERPOWERED!! DIE GUILD DIE!!!

It has a dragonrealms section so I can spam it! Go me!
http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/steelflash
Re: More 'Lord of the Rings'?! 12/02/2003 03:05 PM CST
Apparently there's a Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter spoof in the works.

-Chris

<iMike> monty python would be funny if nerds hadnt invented an entire subculture devoted to quoting it
Re: More 'Lord of the Rings'?! 12/02/2003 05:25 PM CST
Heh. I figured they'd do that. Let's see them film The Silmarillion.

Steel.
<--

hmm, I'd love to see the Silmarillion made into a movie. Though I think it would best be done in at least a trilogy, broken up by the different ages.

The war of the Silmarils would be rather cool, with Feanor and the other Noldor including Fingolfin striking Melkor/Morgoth those few times he was ever struck.

Turin's tale and Tuor's tale would also interest me alot. :)

Jim

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." G.B.S.

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. I require the same from them." J.W.
Re: More 'Lord of the Rings'?! 12/02/2003 05:28 PM CST
Apparently there's a Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter spoof in the works.

-Chris

<<

That reminds me, have you ever read the "Secert Journals of the Fellowship of the ring"? To amusing to say the least. I'd also read a Harry Potter one, lets just say that the wand comments get out of hand.
::cough cough ::

Jim "day 10, still the best looking" If the silly dwarf makes a move on Frodo, Sam will surely kill him!
Pervy hobbit fancier!"

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." G.B.S.

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. I require the same from them." J.W.
Re: More 'Lord of the Rings'?! 12/02/2003 11:13 PM CST
<< Apparently there's a Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter spoof in the works.

Those who can't create, tear down.
Re: More 'Lord of the Rings'?! 12/03/2003 12:33 AM CST
I knew it! I knew that after the first one came out they would make it. Woohoo! Go Petie!

--R*a*y**d*e*l**l, et al.

DSL ~ $50
Premium account ~ $32.95
Not having any DR complaints ~ Priceless

P.S. I knew it.
Re: More 'Lord of the Rings'?! 12/04/2003 01:01 PM CST
Unfortunately, too much is happening to prevent the Hobbit from being made. New Line only got Lord of the Rings through the works because Tolkien sold the rights 35 years ago. In 1966, United Artists got the film and merchandising rights to the Hobbit. UA sold the production rights to Tolkien Enterprises in 1977 who in turn offered them to Warner Bros. so the animated Hobbit that we all know could be made. However, MGM/UA still owns the distribution rights to the Hobbit but do not have the production rights, owned by Tolkien Enterprises. In fact, at one point Tolkien Ent. had confirmed Sean Connery to play Gandalf in a movie they were to produce but took too long to produce.

The other annoyance is the custodian of Tolkien's estate, his son Christopher. He doesn't want any public or on screen representation of his fathers' works. Thus the refusal of the LotR museum and that whole deal with Iron Crown.

Of course, this only means that Jackson and/or New Line likely wouldn't be the creators, but in my opinion any substitue would be compromising quality.

Feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong here too. :)

-Ranik
Re: More 'Lord of the Rings'?! 12/04/2003 07:45 PM CST
You just broke my heart (wants The Hobbit)

--R*a*y**d*e*l**l, et al.

~Real men do it at the keyboard - Down with AFK! ~Anonymous