Smegul vs Smeagol 12/28/2002 10:37 AM CST
He's different. I swear. His name has an accent! Smegul's doesn't. Its a different spelling too <nods> Completely and totally different. "We swears to you -- upon.. upon the precious!"

And the next person who walks up to me in game and says, "did you get your name from the Lord of the Rings" will be shot. YES! That's where it's from. Sheesh.

- Smegul's player
Re: Smegul vs Smeagol 12/28/2002 11:45 AM CST
What about all em Striders, Striider, Strrider, Striderr, etc.? You think they got that from the LOTR too (hehe)? We all know where all the Dritz's come from also (Dritzfury, Drizzty, Drizzter ad nauseam). I refuse to refer another person to an R.A. Salvatore book that has anything to do with Drizzt Do'Urden.

What I am surprised is how few Gandalfs, Gandallfs, Ganndallffs, there are and/or Merlin, Mirlin, Myrlin....

Ken/Gidske
Re: Smegul vs Smeagol 12/28/2002 12:05 PM CST
>>What I am surprised is how few Gandalfs, Gandallfs, Ganndallffs, there are and/or Merlin, Mirlin, Myrlin.... <<

I'd bet that they've all pretty much been rolled up and retired or died off, so the name is stuck in limbo somewhere.

______No matter what it is, there is nothing that cannot be done. If one manifests the determination, he can move heaven and earth as he pleases. Moving heaven and earth without putting forth effort is merely a matter of concentration.
Re: Smegul vs Smeagol 12/28/2002 10:57 PM CST
<< What I am surprised is how few Gandalfs, Gandallfs, Ganndallffs, there are and/or Merlin, Mirlin, Myrlin.... <<

One of the GMs in Gemstone 2 used the name "Merlin" back in 1988. When I started in DR, just for the heck of it I tested various of the NPC and GM names from back then (though not Merlin specifically) and none were available. I'd bet Simu has a list of blocked names to prevent the possibility of someone using even an 'old' GM name from that long ago.

Of course that wouldn't make difference on the spelling-challenged versions.

Glenlivet
Re: Smegul vs Smeagol 12/28/2002 11:03 PM CST
There used to be a few Gandalfs in DR. Different spellings of course. I assume they've all quit and moved on. So those sorts of names wouldn't be available. I was under the impression that it would be impossible to create a new character with that name due to simu's name policy.

I've been curious.. if I walked, would I be forced to choose a new name? <g> If so, I'd probably just quit right there. Not that I plan on walking/rerolling ever, just curious.

- Master Cleric of Harawep
Re: Smegul vs Smeagol 12/29/2002 07:57 AM CST
pretty sure when you walk, you skip over the name choosing and go straight to the picking part of the character creation process, keeping the name you had from before you walked. Rerolling you have the option to retire your name or keep the one you have.

Sylme
Re: Smegul vs Smeagol 12/29/2002 08:36 AM CST
Merlin was a moon mage way back when. Used to do tests with spells before there was a limit on just how much mana could be added by other people harnessing for a person. Managed to make someone's eyes bleed with dazzle that way.

I'm sure the other variations have been taken at one point or another (if they were available in the first place).
Re: Smegul vs Smeagol 01/06/2003 07:56 AM CST
Well, in my years of DR I've seen some strange names...one was Equus (horse in Latin), another example which I found funny recently was seeing someone named Yueske Hiromeshi (aka the main character from Yu-Yu Hakasho)....I guess people aren't very original anymore...<waits to see a Bart/ Homer/ Lisa/Marge/Maggie Simpson family>
Re: Smegul vs Smeagol 01/06/2003 12:45 PM CST
>>another example which I found funny recently was seeing someone named Yueske Hiromeshi

This guy has been confronted on that before... I believe the response was that he'd never even heard of the show, and both 'Yueske' and 'Hiromeshi' are relatively common Japanese names that he just threw together. Coincidence, then... stranger things have happened, after all.

- S., et al.
Re: Smegul vs Smeagol 01/06/2003 07:55 PM CST
hmm since someone brought that up i actually named both my characters after a video game and i noticed i wasnt the only one ive seen quite a few others

Denz, Player of Andii & Terriie Bogarde (ala Andy and Terry Bogard from SNK KOF)

ive also seen a Geesu Howardus (ala Geese howard) Benimaru (ala benimaru) and even saw a Kyosuke briefly
Re: Smegul vs Smeagol 01/06/2003 10:34 PM CST
I named my character from Baulder's Gate (first one) game manual. Spent at least thirty minuts to an hour trying to figure out a good name. On page 52, under the section The Red Wizards, 'The Red Wizards are the rulers of Thay, and the powerful ruling Zulkirs of that land are chosen from amoung their numbers.'

My last name, Fuiruim, got from same manual. On page 58, under title Taerom "Thunderhammer" Fuiruim, Beregost.

For the three years I played, no one has ever question made a commet about having a name from a game manual or whatever. :)

Only question/concerns I have is with the Providence Guard Zukir. And to answer your question... I came first. :)

Master Zulkirs-

But long ago he rode away,
and where he dwelleth none can say;
for into darkness fell his star
in Mordor where the shadows are.
Re: Smegul vs Smeagol 01/06/2003 10:57 PM CST
Took my name from an extremely minor (he had about 3 lines before he got turned into stone or something) character in a Larry Niven book, "The California Voodoo Game."

The book is about... what all these roleplaying games could be in the future. Through a combination of virtual reality and special gear (armor, weapons, etc), the characters walk around in what looks to them like their fantasy world. Pretty cool idea, really. Maybe in about 10-20 years...

Tam
Re: Smegul vs Smeagol 01/06/2003 11:16 PM CST
One of my early test chars in DR was 'Mahalito Tiltowait'. Although nobody then caught the references I decided to retire it when I found out I didn't like playing a moonie.

Glenlivet (whose name is hopefully self-explanatory)
Re: Smegul vs Smeagol 01/09/2003 08:30 PM CST
My very first character, long since forgotten, actually got the naming inspiration from LoTR. I wanted to be an Elven Ranger (fancy that!), but I couldn't decide on a good name. So I tried Sauron, and that didn't work, but I eventually worked it around to be Sorlan Frelance. Heh, and now I'm a Dwarven Warrior Mage (talk about your paradigm shift) who winces when people laugh at Gimli. (grr!)

~Katrenos, grumpy dwarf