Prev_page Previous 1
Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/18/2014 03:00 PM CDT
http://i.imgur.com/IEZd7Hf.png

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/18/2014 03:16 PM CDT
I don't get it.

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/18/2014 04:27 PM CDT
It's typically a jab at people who say, as in the text, 'I did X when it was hard'.

>http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/rose-tinted+glasses
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/18/2014 05:31 PM CDT
Something tells me I might have actually found WoW stomachable back in its Vanilla days. Barely. Maybe.
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/19/2014 02:52 AM CDT
I now know what my next alteration will be.
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/19/2014 06:50 AM CDT
...I love that I explained the definition of 'rose tinted lenses' and then someone felt the need to demonstrate it.
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/19/2014 07:00 AM CDT
<<...I love that you explained the definition of 'rose tinted lenses' and then someone felt the need to demonstrate it.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/19/2014 04:01 PM CDT
>>Absolon: I now know what my next alteration will be.

That would be hilarious.

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/19/2014 05:04 PM CDT
<...I love that I explained the definition of 'rose tinted lenses' and then someone felt the need to demonstrate it.

Except I never played Vanilla WoW. I played a bit during the Wrath of the Lich King era, but couldn't stomach it long enough to get past level 60 - largely due to a lot of the "features" listed on those rose-colored glasses. And a lack of features that would have interested me - like a more realistic night as mentioned on the glasses. It's a frakking slot machine simulator with more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at, but nothing really compelling.

I just know from experience that I tend to enjoy the simulation aspects of games. I'm the type who finds games like Dwarf Fortress, Silent Hunter, and Kerbal Space Program (to name just a few) amazingly fun and entertaining. Instant gratification is typically of no concern to me, and features that cater to it at the expense of immersion are ones that I tend to find off-putting.

Say what you will, but I don't think that simply liking the sound of something means that I'm wearing rose-colored glasses.
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/19/2014 05:16 PM CDT
Vanilla WoW wasn't hard. It was tedious. Too many people in today's video game market confuse "stupid and tedious" with "difficult".

Take raiding, for example. Raids in today's WoW are infinitely more difficult and complex than anything in Vanilla. But everyone(usually people who never actually played it) talks about how "hard" Vanilla raids were because they required finding 40 people who had the free time to spend 40-50 hours a week farming mats(or gold to buy them) for resist potions. People who never actually cleared it look at the level 60 Naxxramas as the pinnacle of raid difficulty, when the only difficult part of the raid was needing ten full Tier 3 equipped Warrior tanks for Four Horsemen.
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/20/2014 01:31 AM CDT
Vanilla WoW was hard because you had a 40 man raid, 15 people who had any idea what they were doing, 25 just along for the loot, no damage meters or other advanced logging to understand who was actually doing their jobs, far less optimized gear (Both due to the average level of game mechanic knowledge among the players and because the gear for many classes was just BAD), many bad or broken specs and so forth. Loot drops were also a lot rarer so it took far longer to gear everyone and there was a plethora of resistance fights which resulted in fun stuff like level 60 rogues farming 40-50 level instances so they could do specific fights in a mishmash of under leveled cloth/leather gear just because it had the right resistance stats on it as the only alternative to farming the heck out of the world bosses.

And most of your players hadn't been raiding for years and years and years and weren't familiar with voice chat. So there's that too.

That said, the peak of WoW for me was Burning Crusade - but that's because for the majority of that expansion I lead a fairly tightly knit guild that completely dominated our server's economy and raids and it was a blast - the first time you dropped Kael'Thas or Illidan? Those fights were more absurd than anything in vanilla by far and directly tied into popular WC3 characters.

Of course, even thinking back to the huge amount of time sunk into stupid guild politics or utterly failing on bosses and so forth causes me to twitch. And in a nutshell that's why I don't play WoW anymore and have burned out quickly the last few times I tried - it's a social game for me. LFR and LFG is fine, but it's not the same as a tightly knit raiding guild and I don't have the time and schedule to be part of one of those these days. Of course, if I did I wouldn't be able to do much for DR so maybe we're all winning.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/20/2014 01:44 AM CDT
My experiences mirror Raesh almost identically. Burning Crusade was definitely the pinnacle of WoW for me too. I had a very solid guild of people who were all adults with lives outside of the game and therefore very little time to waste derping around when we did raid. Killing Illidan and Kil'Jaedan will remain the highlights of my visual gaming experience.

Nothing about Wow in Wotlk or Cataclysm came close to Burning Crusade and I never bothered with Panda furry times.
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/20/2014 01:58 AM CDT
Alas, I never killed Kil'Jaeden. Sunwell was sort of the beginning of the end of my guild (I had long term computer issues during that time, we lost several of our best healers right after dropping Illidan and so forth. Brutallus was moral crushing and drained our extensive guild coffers on insane repair and consumable bills).

The guild did eventually make it through Sunwell, but not before I had to drop out of WoW until WotLK. In retrospect, I've burned out on every version of WoW at some point, it's just been quicker every expansion. Achievements are a dangerous thing for me - I'm very much the sort who wants to do "everything" so they're both a motivating force and something that drives me insane chasing them to the detriment of my own enjoyment. I've slowly gotten better about not generally not caring about them as they've infected every aspect of gaming these days.

I don't know if I'll go back for the next one or not. The logistics and lack of an established guild to return to are big hindrances (The last remnants of my old guild finally folded early in Cataclysm and my old server was a ghost town when I finally did the Panda thing for a month) but a return to the Outlands and some of the other things they're doing with the next expansion have me interested. We'll see.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/20/2014 02:10 AM CDT
>Too many people in today's video game market confuse "stupid and tedious" with "difficult".

Dark Souls.

Nuff said.

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/20/2014 02:12 AM CDT
<Panda furry times.

Speaking of rose-colored goggles ... remember when Warcraft didn't have anthropomorphic cows/pandas/etc? I haven't really enjoyed a single Blizzard product since Blizzard North left, let alone after the Activision merger. Everything turned into PG rated Saturday morning cartoons (with very rare exception) - and not even good ones. Anything to expand to that broader market!

Frakking pandas. That's even worse than Prydaen!
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/20/2014 02:17 AM CDT
>>Speaking of rose-colored goggles ... remember when Warcraft didn't have anthropomorphic cows/pandas/etc?

I doubt many WoW players do since you're asking people to go back to WarCraft 2, a game which ran on DOS and is old enough to vote. (Why, yes, writing that sentence does make me feel old).

-Raesh

Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/20/2014 02:18 AM CDT
<Achievements are a dangerous thing for me - I'm very much the sort who wants to do "everything" so they're both a motivating force and something that drives me insane chasing them to the detriment of my own enjoyment. I've slowly gotten better about not generally not caring about them as they've infected every aspect of gaming these days.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/52hMumtjzAI/maxresdefault.jpg
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/20/2014 03:13 AM CDT
>>DR-Raesh: I doubt many WoW players do since you're asking people to go back to WarCraft 2, a game which ran on DOS and is old enough to vote. (Why, yes, writing that sentence does make me feel old).

WarCraft 2 was pretty awesome. I can't tell you how many hours my teenaged self spent playing both the Human and Orc campaigns.

And thanks for that metric of evaluating cherished games from the past. Some of them are old enough to buy beer now.

Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/20/2014 07:41 AM CDT
>Speaking of rose-colored goggles ... remember when Warcraft didn't have anthropomorphic cows/pandas/etc?

Yes, heaven forbid my game with giant steampunk tanks and airships, and magic, and teleportation devices, and trains, and giant squid monsters, and anthropomorphic wolves (worg and things like Hogger) and trolls and every other classic monster, plus mummies and pokemon, have anthropomorphic cows.

Because THAT IS THE LINE!

That always has been a completely idiotic stance. There are enough stupid things in WoW as-is that going '.butbutbut cows and pandas' just makes you look like an idiot.
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/20/2014 08:08 AM CDT
I bought WoW (the first edition, whatever that was) on advance order, installed it, paid for a 12 month subscription, played for 2 days, uninstalled it and threw it in the trash. I've never regretted that decision. I can't even begin to describe how much I hated playing that game, and I loved WC1 and WC2. I still play SC and SC2, as well as a lot of other Blizzard products, but WoW was not my cup of tea. At all.

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/20/2014 08:22 AM CDT
<<Alas, I never killed Kil'Jaeden. Sunwell was sort of the beginning of the end of my guild (I had long term computer issues during that time, we lost several of our best healers right after dropping Illidan and so forth. Brutallus was moral crushing and drained our extensive guild coffers on insane repair and consumable bills).

Illidan was the big kill I agree. But we did manage to clear Sunwell before they patched in all the WotLK improvements thereby making all the old content irrelevant. tanking Brutallus and getting a kill with me as a paladin main tank on him BEFORE the other big guild on my server got their kill with warrior main tanks is one of my highlight moments of WoW.
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/20/2014 11:37 AM CDT
>>>>Too many people in today's video game market confuse "stupid and tedious" with "difficult".

>>Dark Souls.

>>Nuff said.

You shut your mouth them's fighting words.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/20/2014 06:12 PM CDT
<in WoW

WoW != Warcraft

Up until Warcraft 3 (which happened after the Blizz North split) the wackiest Warcraft got was goblin zeppelins and gnomish flying machines (and even then these pushed the borders of good taste.) Well, that and a couple of gruesome easter eggs like exploding seals.
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/20/2014 06:34 PM CDT
>>Up until Warcraft 3

'up until WarCraft 3' only includes a game launched in '94, another in '95 and an expansion in '96. Given the average age of a WoW player is 26 ( http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/03/18/were-not-all-nuts-new-psychological-study-sheds-light-on-wow-p/ ) that means they were around 7-9 when those games came out and likely never played them.

Never mind that humor was always part of those games, they just hadn't gone much past the core "Orcs and Humans" (See: Title of the first game).

-Raesh

Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/20/2014 09:23 PM CDT
It's hard to accept the incredibly generic 21st century fantasty world of Orcs and Humans as somehow superior to anything. Warcraft has a recognizable style now when the early games were a mud palette smeared over Warcraft.

They could have been set in Tamriel without having to change anything.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/21/2014 03:43 AM CDT
All this said - WoW does have an awful lot of anthropomorphic races these days (mostly NPC races) but whatcha gonna do when you've been pumping out new content for a decade?

And - it pains me to say this - the Pandas weren't THAT bad. I was certainly in the anti-panda group (but I wasn't an active player anyhow) who couldn't believe they were basing an entire expansion around an April Fool's gag when they had so many other directions they could go but, really, it wasn't awful. The constant obsession with beer, however, made it feel like Dwarven starting zones all over again.

-Raesh

Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/21/2014 05:00 AM CDT
In spite of the light hearted face that the Pandaren put on the expansion, as a whole it was pretty dark. Lots of war crimes and genocide and assassination attempts leading up to the Siege of Orgrimmar.
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/21/2014 06:30 AM CDT
>>I bought WoW (the first edition, whatever that was) on advance order, installed it, paid for a 12 month subscription, played for 2 days, uninstalled it and threw it in the trash. I've never regretted that decision. I can't even begin to describe how much I hated playing that game, and I loved WC1 and WC2. I still play SC and SC2, as well as a lot of other Blizzard products, but WoW was not my cup of tea. At all.

You bought wow and paid for a 12 month subscription (something they never had by the way. 6 month subscription plans are the most WoW has ever offered. The closest to a 12 month plan was when you could agree to pay for 12 months -- in any normal payment method -- and get a free copy of diablo 3.) and you did that before playing it at all? No beta or stress weekend? and then played 2 days and hated it? You are welcome to any opinion you want.. but that hardly seems like a real attempt. All to their own I guess.

The complaints over Tauren are just silly. The pandas.. meh. If the only thing you are complaining about in regards to Mist are the pandas themselves.. I would say the dislike has more to do with you than the game itself. It is their game. they put in space goats and you haven't mentioned that yet. (not to mention allllll the other species of animals that have been given humanoid aspects).. And it isn't like they are the first... Heck D&D and Tolkien have walking/talking trees.. lol

WoW was a great game. still is in a LOT of ways -- and it still beats any graphical MMO by a long shot in terms of polish and just solid gameplay. My favorite time periods were definitely Vanilla and BC. I liked how they set it up so there was a progression that made you learn your class and I think it is almost too easy to raid these days -- especially with LFR. I also liked how there were plenty of things to do outside of the instances to get ready or improve your chances for fights. Like getting the permanent version of the aqua-whatever (can't remember the spelling) to douse the runes in MC. And anyone that says Vanilla Raiding wasn't hard never raided it. Was it a different hard than it is today? yes. But just as hard. And BC even more so.

Anyways. just some thoughts.
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/21/2014 01:07 PM CDT
Yup. Hated it. Never went back. Maybe it was a 6 month I bought. Whatever the case, it was worth the money to get rid of it. Worst gaming experience for me, ever.

Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/21/2014 02:15 PM CDT

What about it was so bad? and I am guessing you just don't like any graphical MMO then?
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/21/2014 04:05 PM CDT
You must either love hyperbole or don't play many video games if you're going with "worst gaming experience ever".
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/21/2014 05:09 PM CDT
Man, everyone has to give their opinion. If the dude didn't like it, he didn't like it.

I've bought games before, been utterly turned off by the interface or some other aspect and stopped playing. It happens.
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/21/2014 05:37 PM CDT
You're more than welcome to not like a game. I don't play it anymore, either, because I don't like it. But to call it the "worst gaming experience ever" just makes no sense, unless you've only played like four video games in your life.
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/22/2014 03:30 AM CDT
I'd rather play E.T. the Extra Terrestrial or Exodus or Princess Maker 2 than WoW. And yeah, that goes for the vast, vast majority of other graphical MMOs as well (most of them are so mechanically similar to WoW as to make any differences so slight as to be irrelevant, by my tastes.) Calling it the worst gaming experience I've ever had wouldn't be far from the mark. I struggle to come up with games that I've liked less - I even like most of the WoW clones (LotRO, AoC, SWTOR, etc) more than I've liked WoW, and those were all pretty unenjoyable. The newer ones that are coming out that focus almost entirely on dungeons are pretty bad too, though - like Neverwinter, or Wildstar (haven't played Wildstar yet, though.)

Only MMOs I've ever been able to really get into are EVE Online and Dragonrealms, and I abandoned ship with EVE back when they introduced Aurum. Played it for many years, though. I'm still waiting for a really good "sandbox" MMO. I'm also sad that I missed the original Star Wars Galaxies. I've heard that it might have been my type of game, before SOE went in and screwed it up anyway. Also, Planetside is pretty good as MMOs go - if you're the sort who just wants to mindlessly shoot at things every once in a while. It's not a game to take seriously. PS2 is very reminiscent of arcade games (immersion and character development are not at all the point, or even a consideration,) which is probably why I don't mind that it's F2P.
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/22/2014 03:38 AM CDT
<<I'm also sad that I missed the original Star Wars Galaxies. I've heard that it might have been my type of game

There was fast travel, healing classes that did more than just heal, anthropomorphic races, and dungeons, so that's doubtful.

Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/22/2014 04:02 AM CDT

You don't like dungeons? so you never go on quests in DR?

and you seriously are comparing ET for the atari to WoW?

and you think Planetside is a good MMO....

All to their own I guess. But you come off as pretty ridiculous.
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/22/2014 04:11 AM CDT
SW:G also had extremely fat Wookiee cantina* dancers as a viable career choice.

-Raesh

*Seriously Chrome? You don't recognize the word "cantina"?
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/22/2014 04:22 AM CDT
<You don't like dungeons?

I don't like the way dungeons are handled in persistent world style MMOs. It's mostly the repeatability that bugs me there. I'll play the hell out of a dungeon in a single player game, or in pen and paper <instert RPG of choice.> But I don't enjoy killing the same boss 10 times in a row hoping for the right piece of gear to drop, no. Most dungeons are reasonably fun the first time, and maybe even the second or third time if you've got some good friends to run them with. But after that it gets very stale very quickly. Much like the whole tab-target combat system.

<and you seriously are comparing ET for the atari to WoW?

Only in that I got more enjoyment out of it than I did with Wow (maybe - it's pretty difficult to say.) But it's not saying much because ET was terrible.
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/22/2014 04:37 AM CDT
>>I don't like the way dungeons are handled in persistent world style MMOs. It's mostly the repeatability that bugs me there. I'll play the hell out of a dungeon in a single player game, or in pen and paper <instert RPG of choice.> But I don't enjoy killing the same boss 10 times in a row hoping for the right piece of gear to drop, no. Most dungeons are reasonably fun the first time, and maybe even the second or third time if you've got some good friends to run them with. But after that it gets very stale very quickly. Much like the whole tab-target combat system.

Soooo again you haven't done quests in DR? DR also has the added benefit of charging for each time you want to repeat the dungeon... I know tons of people that have done all of the quests more than once... myself included. The riot quests are specifically designed to be reran.

Tab-target? that was in EVE and many other games... and doesn't even make sense as a complaint. You don't like that it allows you to highlight a mob? So you don't ever use 'face next' in DR?

Again.. comparing ET to anything else and expecting people to take you serious doesn't really work.
Re: Tear-Stained Rose-Colored Goggles 07/22/2014 04:57 AM CDT
<<So you don't ever use 'face next' in DR?

To be fair, I wish FACE NEXT actually worked more like tab-targeting does in other games. It essentially works as a FACE FLANK meaning it only cycles between the mob you are facing and the mob you are flanking. Use it once, it swaps their places. Use it a second time, it swaps them back. It never connects with the two engaged behind you. The various target options can be useful sometimes, but I would love to have a FACE BEHIND or FACE CYCLE command to easily move a target that is behind you up in ranking without needing to specify a target or condition.

E.g. FACE CYCLE would move Flank->Face, B1->Flank, B2->B1, and Face->B2. FACE BEHIND would move B1->Face, B2->Flank, Face->B1, and Flank->B2.

Prev_page Previous 1