Apocolypse 02/23/2010 09:00 AM CST
9:40AM CST, February the 23rd, 2010: The Day After the End
Went to the computer this morning, with little hope. I scratched at the keyboard in the murky shadows of predawn.
Go Play.
Click.
Nothing.
Go Play.
Click.
Nothing.
My mouse finger begins to bleed. I go to the living room window and draw the blinds. Peeking out, I look up and down the deserted street. The silence is eery. What will become of me?

8:00PM, February the 23rd, 2010:
Spent the day wandering listlessly about the house. Took stock of the refrigerator. I should make a trip to the market, but the sounds of distant explosions frighten me. Is it the TV next door, or has the looting begun? I don't know. I heard voices at the door earlier but hid in the basement with a softball bat clutched at my chest. I returned to the computer, just in case. Among the papers on the desk I find an old printout of the Dragonrealms logo, printed some months back... in the before time. I take the paper with me to my nest of blankets and sleeping bags in the basement, and put the image under my pillow.

7:40AM, February the 24th, 2010: Day Two of the New World
Woke to the sound of dogs fighting on the front lawn. The bucket I've been peeing in is starting to smell. The doorbell rang, and a muffled voice yelled "UPS!", but I didn't believe it. I trust no one. We are all on our own now. Later, around noon, I made my way to the garage, making sure to avoid the windows. I find an old toy sword, and fashion a shield from a cardboard box. Once back in the house I return to the basement and fight mighty gryphons in my mind.

4:15PM, February the 24th, 2010:
I dosed off after getting mind-locked in swordplay. I wish. The thought makes me laugh bitterly. The doorbell rang again, startling me. This time I go to the front entry and open the door a crack. There is a young girl there in a uniform.
"Would you like to buy some cookies?" she says, and I shudder. I know, I know this must be a trap. She is the bait, and once I open the door her gang will rush in and take my food and clean underwear. I scowl at her through the crack and curse. She flees and I feel triumph as I shove the door closed, locking it again to the world gone mad. The incident sends me to the computer, trembling. I try again, and click refresh until night falls, until my mouse finger begins bleeding again.

3:00AM February the 25th, 2010:
I wake from a dream, where I smile and grin and hug and tickle and lick strangers passing me buy, then slice off their heads and disappear in the middle of broad daylight. The sleepy images have made me sweaty, and I clutch at my bedding. I fall back asleep whimpering.

8:30AM February the 25th, 2010: She Returns
My wife and kids return home from visiting relatives. They ask me why does the house smell like pee, and how come the lights are all turned off. I laugh at their foolish optimism and return to my nest in the basement.

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Apocolypse 02/23/2010 10:10 AM CST
Today, I exposed myself to a minor radiation burn by a ball of fissive gas that has come to lord over the earth and impose its dominion over life itself.

That, and I did laundry.

>
You're not used to life as a fish, are you?
Re: Apocolypse 02/23/2010 10:41 AM CST
I am the hero of Hyrule.

Yesterday:
Got bored and beat original Legend of Zelda. Wanted to see how long it took with a walk-through... not long at all. I honestly don't remember how that game used to confuse me so much. Still enjoyed it greatly though.

Started up Link, got a little bit done. Forgot how much this game was so different. All the random encounters make things go so slow, so I saved it and moved on.

I destroyed the last part of Twilight Princess, taught that Gannondork who was boss. Anyone else beat this game and think that Midna looks really weird in her normal form?

Today:

Going to try and wrap up Link. Might move on to Super Legend of Zelda or start Majora's Mask from beginning again.

Play the game!
Re: Apocolypse 02/23/2010 10:51 AM CST
>Today, I exposed myself to a minor radiation burn by a ball of fissive gas that has come to lord over the earth and impose its dominion over life itself.

Sunburn? I'm confused.
Re: Apocolypse 02/23/2010 10:58 AM CST
I saved the universe, Gradius 3 style.
Re: Apocolypse 02/23/2010 11:09 AM CST
I have learned the rules of curling.

Master Craftsman Thryntyrlz BagMaker steps out from under Caelfind's road-worn traveler's cloak.

Tvini gets a Nilerbone brain from inside her canvas sack.
Tvini pokes her Nilerbone brain.
Nilerbone sneezes!
Re: Apocolypse 02/23/2010 11:13 AM CST
I hit level 45 with my Necromancer, and sadly realized too late that 3 points in Skeletal Mage was a poor decision.

Rev. Reene

Kssarh says, "She has many talents."
>
Kssarh says, "Some of which can be discussed in public."
Re: Apocolypse 02/23/2010 11:34 AM CST
>I hit level 45 with my Necromancer, and sadly realized too late that 3 points in Skeletal Mage was a poor decision.

I used a character editor to give a necromancer 99 in all skeleton skills just to see how good they become.

...they can survive quite a bit, but they don't do any damage at the higher levels.
Re: Apocolypse 02/23/2010 11:38 AM CST
I always start off a new D2 spree with a skelemancer and could always clear all 3 difficulties. Get yourself an act 2 nightmare merc for Might Aura early on, keep him alive and leveled and get him any good items you can, and it should help you plenty. And I think Amplify Damage goes without saying.
Re: Apocolypse 02/23/2010 11:42 AM CST
You really need to use your curses with them to see them shine. Amp damage is a must, iron maiden is suggested in a lot of guides too but I honestly don't see a point in using it over amp damage. Corpse explosion does pretty good complimentary damage while your dudes are hacking things down too, particularly in groups.

Though really, nothing measures up to a hammerdin or even a lightning sorc. I just wanted to try something different for once since I always do sorcs.

Insight on a might aura merc is grand but I've never managed to get the runes for it. I usually end up giving up on characters when I get past level 80 or so anyway since I don't bot.

Rev. Reene

>
Re: Apocolypse 02/23/2010 11:43 AM CST
It's a shame you're playing on the legit USEast server, Renee. You could use a character editor to undo that decision, or at least bring your character to a previous state.

>
Re: Apocolypse 02/23/2010 11:57 AM CST
My characters have been deleted on their servers too many times to even worry about being legit any more. You can only burn so many hours...

Ultimately my beef with a skelemancer is that it takes entirely too long to move around, and in certain narrow/winding areas it just isn'f feasible. Plus, bosses. Ugh.
Re: Apocolypse 02/23/2010 12:03 PM CST
>> Plus, bosses.

I decided to try soloing Diablo at level 40.

Don't do this.

Rev. Reene

>
Re: Apocolypse 02/23/2010 12:07 PM CST
Incidentally, you may want to look into trying Torchlight the next time it's on sale on Steam, Renee. It looks like you really enjoy the gameplay experience, and Torchlight nails that better than D2 in some respects - mostly by making the Horadric Cube an optional mini-game, and story quests not take you away from the gameplay at all.

>