Updated Membership Rosters 02/26/2008 02:40 PM CST
But it's the spirit of RP to allow people to RP pretty well as they choose.

If they want to have multiple characters as a part of an Order I really don't see the problem so long as all/most of them don't hold any positions of power. If only one does, again, I don't see the problem.

I really don't feel right hindering people's RP because they can't afford the luxury of multiple accounts.

I'd also like to point out that if someone actually RPs half-way decent their character isn't going to tell you, nor is the player going to tell you, "Hey, I also play so-and-so!", personally I very rarely, if ever, tell anyone who else I play, nor will you ever hear any of my characters refer to another of my characters as their 'brother' or 'sister'.

In the spirit of good RP, and not hindering people's RP, I vote multiple characters be allowed, but only one is able to hold a position of power (so you don't end up with a council of only one player or whatever), and only one of those characters counts toward you member total.

I'd hate to hinder anyone's RP, and further more I'd hate to have to even try to explain to someone ICly or OOCly that they can't have this character, (or just they in the case of IC) in the Order because of OOC reasons.

Now, I'm not saying that there isn't padding in places (I myself even had two or three, which were removed), but removing legitimately RPed characters doesn't sit well with me.

Shadeau Moonith,
Player of.

--
Badtooth slips an ice pick in his spidersilk garter, tightening the ribbons securely below his knee.
>gasp bad
You gasp at Badtooth!
>wave shade
You fan yourself.
Re: Updated Membership Rosters 02/27/2008 09:28 PM CST
I do agree with this, though I wonder how easy it would be to say "Don't count toward membership total" (I agree with the thought, just the implementation seems iffy).

The problem arises when a member, (Council or otherwise) doesn't let you know that he has 6 other characters, who all became part of the order on their own, and that player doesn't like to connect each of his characters together...

Thats 7 total characters that I as a speaker might think counted toward my total, but in-fact I only have 1 character (and end up being a few short potentially).

It also puts a burden on GMs (as I understand their tools) to police this.

Again, I do want to allow my other characters on my account to hold a position, but I can't think of a technical/administration level how to achieve it.

--
~Justin Wood (Callek)
Re: Updated Membership Rosters 02/28/2008 03:25 AM CST
Yeah, I don't tend to tell people who else I play, which is why another reason all of this bothers me, like the previous poster just mentioned.

Maybe if we got monthly membership totals or something, so at least that way we'd have a grasp on what our member count is when we have multiple characters on the same account.

Though, if the real worry is having one person run everything.. What's to stop that one person from going out, having 6 accounts, and having a character from each in?

Shadeau Moonith,
Player of.

--
Badtooth slips an ice pick in his spidersilk garter, tightening the ribbons securely below his knee.
>gasp bad
You gasp at Badtooth!
>wave shade
You fan yourself.
Re: Updated Membership Rosters 02/28/2008 04:17 PM CST
For years we've been told that only one character on any account can be a member of an official order, period. This also applies to having one char in one order and another char in another order. So this is standard really. On the rare occasion we will have someone want to bring an alt from a second account into the order and it's been allowed, but it's something that's known to council and the officers that this is soandso's alt and we make it clear that both characters still need to keep up attendance and all that.

I guess I'm not understanding why it's such a problem. I'm a hardcore roleplayer myself but running an official order delves into a lot of things done oog and ooc anyway.

Thank you Ariawen for the updated roster, very much appreciated and helpful.

Drex
Re: Updated Membership Rosters 02/29/2008 09:54 PM CST
While I do understand the objections, it is a requirement I cannot bend on. It will remain as long as any group wants to be an Order.

Orders have some strict requirements and the goal is to make it worth their while to meet those requirements. This particular requirement was a stipulation since the inception of Orders and is unlikely to go away as long as membership numbers remain a criteria for becoming an Order.

The system doesn't have the mechanics to differentiate which member is part of the Order and which one isn't. Therefore, if someone really and truly wants to participate in the role-play of an Order, they can do so in an unofficial capacity, but they can not be an official part of an Order.

I can look into the options of changing the way the scepters work so that it is not possible to induct multiple characters on the same account into the same Order. That may solve the issue of 'outing'. However that is a low priority for me at the moment and I would prefer to just have Speakers and Vice-Speakers manage it as far as they are able.

Bigger fish to fry and all that.

For now, if I find multiple characters, I will alert the speaker and ask who should go. I want to be flexible and make Orders fun, but this is not a point on which I am willing to negotiate.

Ariawen.
Re: Updated Membership Rosters 03/03/2008 01:34 AM CST
>>For now, if I find multiple characters, I will alert the speaker and ask who should go. I want to be flexible and make Orders fun, but this is not a point on which I am willing to negotiate.<<

This sounds fair enough, though at least as far as RP is concerned, I would love if I could issue (or have issued) my other chars pauldron's (my orders badge) even if they are not officially part of the order as far as numbers, system, title, etc. go.

Though, you can't get/keep a "badge" unless you are part of the system.

--
~Callek
Re: Updated Membership Rosters 03/03/2008 11:11 AM CST
Once you have the pin you should still be able to wear it I think.

Shadeau Moonith,
Player of.

--
>gasp bad
You gasp at Badtooth!
>wave shade
You fan yourself.
Re: Updated Membership Rosters 03/04/2008 12:28 AM CST
Yes, but unless you are speaker or vice speaker you can't touch someone else's badge, nor can you keep yours if you are removed from the order...
Re: Updated Membership Rosters 03/04/2008 07:53 AM CST
Uh, yeah you can, unless one of the characters that I was told was removed wasn't actually removed yet.

She still has her badge, can still wear it, and still has her title.

So something is either a) buggy, or b) she hasn't been removed proper yet.

Shadeau Moonith,
Player of.

--
>gasp bad
You gasp at Badtooth!
>wave shade
You fan yourself.
Re: Updated Membership Rosters 03/05/2008 02:02 AM CST
It could be that she was removed by a GM "the wrong way". (I.E. didn't unset all the stuff on her as far as Order goes)

If you do it yourself, with the scepter, (the right way) what I said applies [or at least definately did]. I'm unsure how the GMs do it behind the scenes.
Re: Updated Membership Rosters 03/06/2008 06:09 AM CST
I will remove her with the stick next time I see her and see how that goes.

Shadeau Moonith,
Player of.

--
>gasp bad
You gasp at Badtooth!
>wave shade
You fan yourself.
Re: Updated Membership Rosters 03/09/2008 10:10 AM CDT
I tried to remove her with the stick and got this:
>shake scepter at Sere
You feel a strange resistance, and cannot complete the process.

She can still wear the pin, and still has the title.

Shadeau Moonith,
Player of.

--
>gasp bad
You gasp at Badtooth!
>wave shade
You fan yourself.
Re: Updated Membership Rosters 03/11/2008 01:51 AM CDT
Can you give me a name? I have completely forgotten who we are talking about.

Ariawen.
Re: Updated Membership Rosters 03/11/2008 08:35 AM CDT
The character I tested with was Sereena. But I assume if she wasn't removed proper, as she still has her pin and titles and can use them both, that other people can do this too.

Shadeau Moonith,
Player of.

--
>gasp bad
You gasp at Badtooth!
>wave shade
You fan yourself.