Gear press 10/26/2016 08:43 PM CDT
So...can these be pushed out to all the engineering societies?

I decided to try tinkering today and my 'toy crossbow' has taken me an hour at this point, because I had to figure out where to even find a gear press for the mechanisms.

If not, can mechanisms (cheap low qual bronze would be great) just be sold? Basically the same work order fodder as selling balsa/tin/etc. for all the other crafts.
Re: Gear press 10/26/2016 08:46 PM CDT

...and tinker's tools. And I'm REALLY hoping Skyward got updated with some better tinker's tools, because the society ones are not good.
Re: Gear press 12/09/2016 04:54 PM CST
Is this still an issue? I've been unable to focus on crafting for a while, but am finally finding my way back :)

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Gear press 12/09/2016 05:34 PM CST
>Is this still an issue? I've been unable to focus on crafting for a while, but am finally finding my way back :)

Not sure which post you were replying to but only the Estate Holder Engineering society on Fang Cove has gear presses and tinker's tools still.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Gear press 12/09/2016 05:43 PM CST
> Not sure which post you were replying to but only the Estate Holder Engineering society on Fang Cove has gear presses and tinker's tools still.

Haven has them. I haven't explored the other societies, so can't say about them.
Re: Gear press 12/09/2016 08:10 PM CST
Riverhaven Engineering Hall has Gear Presses inside the 3 crafting rooms, the store there does NOT sell tinker's tools

Rehlyn

Well, see, there's the linchpin of why everything you're saying is wrong. There's the fulcrum. There's the centerpiece. There's the turkey on the Thanksgiving table.
Re: Gear press 12/09/2016 09:18 PM CST
The Rathan Engineering Society sells tinker tools, but no gear presses.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: Gear press 12/09/2016 11:15 PM CST
Sorry, thought I had checked within the last couple of weeks.

In Prime:Sells Tinker's ToolsHas Gear PressesDoes not sell Tinker's ToolsDoes not have Gear Presses
Fang CoveXX
CrossingXX
RiverhavenXX
RathaXX
Muspar'iXX
ShardXX

Muspar'i's engineering society does not have the communal engineering tool suite in any of it's workrooms.
Shard's engineering society does not have communal engineering tool suites in 1 of it's workrooms.

Re: Gear press 12/10/2016 04:44 PM CST
(for those that go out of their way to get a tinker's tool set)
analyze doesn't show how to use it for next step
figured out the hard way that the command is 'Adjust' item with tool
Re: Gear press 12/10/2016 11:38 PM CST
Also pretty sure you can use a shaper instead.
Re: Gear press 12/11/2016 06:59 AM CST

There is a complete guide here: https://elanthipedia.play.net/Tinkering_player_guide

During the process of doing this I found you could use a carving knife in place of tinkers tools and complete the project, yes by carving the project in place of adjusting them. It does degrade the project but near as I could tell it did not degrade it so badly you could not complete a work order. It will lower a masterful item though. I have about 5 or 6 sets of tinkers tools from the estate holder shop in fang cove (donations from all those who got some at the recent festival). So if someone needs a set I'm usually at the grove out the west gate of the crossing, go trail, ne, e.

Now Riverhaven has the gear presses, to make mechanisms. Lenses for the telescopes that can be made are only in fang cove. I'm told you can get tinkers tools in ratha which I did not know and fang cove. You can buy bolt flights in all the engineering societies last I saw. So at this point you can do everything except make the telescopes if you cant get lenses.

When making mechanisms check the guide out it gives very good information on what you need to do.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.
Re: Gear press 12/11/2016 01:26 PM CST
"So at this point you can do everything except make the telescopes if you cant get lenses."

I'm brand new to the game, a "Free" account, and my character concept was centered around tinkering, which I was excited to see was a thing.

I came here when I realized I can't get tools or mechanisms, but it seems there's already a thread about a gear press and the tinker's tools.

I know for Crossing, there are no tinker tools nor pliers in the workshops nor for sale, and there is no gear press.

It may be important to underscore that there are no PLIERS at the Crossing society building either, since I don't think that's been mentioned in the thread yet.

I can't afford much in way of tools, but I noticed the workshop has a few. I could probably work up enough to buy pliers and tinker's tools if they were available.

I'll probably need to save up some coins for some start-up wood and bow string though I think. I'll have to do some more tasks that don't involve someone trying to kill me by sending me to fight cougars.

I could probably 'carve' and skip any pliers steps, but I'm afraid with my super-low skill the quality would be so bad I wouldn't actually be unable to turn in any work orders, even easy ones, and therefore would be wasting any coins spent on said lumber and string.

If I can find some pine trees to cut down... that could cut some cost out maybe... I heard that is a thing, though I'm still figuring it out. I think I again need to buy something like an axe for that first.
Re: Gear press 12/11/2016 01:54 PM CST
Do you have a particular time of day/timezone you play in Animato? Or mind divulging your character name here? If someone else hasn't helped you I can probably scrounge up some tinker's tools for you and punch out some mechs until you're able to find suppliers ingame or Kodius has time to work his magic.

Re: Gear press 12/11/2016 03:18 PM CST
Pliers are sold in the Forging Society.
Re: Gear press 12/11/2016 05:06 PM CST
FLINT-TIPPED,

I play various hours, but I am in US/Central.

I of course can't go far and at this point I probably won't leave the Crossing and surrounds for a long time.

BLADEDBUTTERFLY,

Thanks for the tip!
Re: Gear press 12/20/2016 01:35 AM CST
I went through the Crossing, Haven, Shard and Rathan societies and tried to get them all updated to sell the latest books, tools and have the gear presses. Didn't catch the lenses though. I'll have to make another pass for those.

Unlike other area design work, I often have to make these updates by hand and it just takes so freaking long and is quite prone to error. I apologize for not getting to them sooner.

Please take a look and report back with any other fixes that are needed. Thanks!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Gear press 12/20/2016 06:38 AM CST
Thanks again for all your hard work Kodius

Rehlyn

Well, see, there's the linchpin of why everything you're saying is wrong. There's the fulcrum. There's the centerpiece. There's the turkey on the Thanksgiving table.
Re: Gear press 12/20/2016 08:31 AM CST

Appreciate it, Kodius. Thank you.
Re: Gear press 12/21/2016 09:09 AM CST
Fantastic news, thank you.