Stonebow wood affinity? 05/24/2016 04:48 PM CDT
Is there a wood affinity for stonebows? Is it the same as Arbalests?
Re: Stonebow wood affinity? 05/24/2016 06:37 PM CDT

I think it is the same as Light Crossbow.

Using hickory lumber (98 quality), communal tools, freshly made brass ingots to pressed to brass mechanisms (0 ranks of smithing skill), no techniques and less than 300 engineering and the sturdy stonebow pattern resulted in:

R>app stoneb careful
A hickory sturdy stonebow is a light crossbow type weapon.
A hickory sturdy stonebow trains the crossbow skill.

The sturdy stonebow is soundly designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the stonebow is reasonably balanced and is reasonably suited for adding attack power from its draw strength.

You are certain that the sturdy stonebow is quite fragile and easily damaged, and is in pristine condition.

You are certain that the wood in the sturdy stonebow has a quality of 98, placing it at 'nearly perfect' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the wood in the sturdy stonebow has a durability of 30, placing it at 'poor durability' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the wood in the sturdy stonebow has a workability of 45, placing it at 'challenging to work with' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the wood in the sturdy stonebow has a hardness of 85, placing it at 'very hard' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the wood in the sturdy stonebow has an stiffness of 61, placing it at 'rather stiff' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the wood in the sturdy stonebow has a physical resistance of 58, placing it at 'good at resisting rupture' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the wood in the sturdy stonebow has an affinity of 40, placing it at 'rather poor affinity for making shortbows and arbalests' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the wood in the sturdy stonebow has an affinity of 80, placing it at 'exceptional affinity for making long bows and heavy crossbows' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the wood in the sturdy stonebow has an affinity of 85, placing it at 'exceptional affinity for making composite bows and light crossbows' on the official Trader's Scale.
It appears that the sturdy stonebow can be slung over one shoulder.
You are certain that the sturdy stonebow weighs about 141 stones.
You are certain that the sturdy stonebow is worth exactly 4546 Dokoras.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

Not as great as the Illaya Taipa stonebow, if you look at weight vs stats. I wonder what the result would be using a refined metal ingot, forged tools, and tinkering techniques. If I find more hickory, I'll try creating a sturdy light crossbow for comparison.
Re: Stonebow wood affinity? 05/24/2016 07:16 PM CDT
>>Not as great as the Illaya Taipa stonebow, if you look at weight vs stats.

The stonebow itself is better than the store bought stonebow since weight has no impact on it other than encumberance, but crafted bows/crossbows tend to be heavier than their store/old counterparts. Hickory is also a very dense wood at 7.6, so it's not that surprising that it came out so heavy and there is plenty of room for improvement with other woods.

I think a better metric to use to compare is it's stats and time to load since non-crafted crossbows keep the skill/stat based load time reductions and crafted do not receive them. An example is a fest stonebow apps the same as the one you posted but with full load time reduction (-2 sec) I get 3/4, but my guess is that one loads at 5/6 (maybe 6/7). I wouldn't give up 2 seconds per load for the same stats.
Re: Stonebow wood affinity? 05/24/2016 07:59 PM CDT
Ok, time for a stupid question, but I always fail to grok bow stats.

What are the ideal ones? I mean, it only has 3, right? FoI, balance, suit. And load time, though not sure if that counts.

Do the balance and suitability actually matter? I thought they didn't, and that the only stats on a crossbow which mattered were the load times. That damage was 99% determined by ammo.
Re: Stonebow wood affinity? 05/24/2016 11:33 PM CDT
>You are certain that the sturdy stonebow is quite fragile and easily damaged, and is in pristine condition.

>You are certain that the wood in the sturdy stonebow has a durability of 30, placing it at 'poor durability' on the official Trader's Scale.
>You are certain that the wood in the sturdy stonebow has a hardness of 85, placing it at 'very hard' on the official Trader's Scale.

As an interesting aside, it looks like durability is determined by the durability stat and not the hardness stat. Does anyone know

> I wonder what the result would be using a refined metal ingot, forged tools, and tinkering techniques

My understanding is that the only way those would help is by boosting your skill to make a crossbow masterfully-crafted if the one you made wasn't aleady masterfully-crafted. Can you still analyze the crossbow to see the quality?
Re: Stonebow wood affinity? 05/25/2016 03:07 PM CDT
>>What are the ideal ones? I mean, it only has 3, right? FoI, balance, suit. And load time, though not sure if that counts.

All ranged weapons have a base damage multiplier that players cannot see. This goes Sling < Staff sling < Shortbow < Longbow < Compbow < Light Xbow/Stonebow < Heavy Xbow < Arbalest

The ranged weapon's Suitedness is an additional damage multiplier. This exists in ratio with the ranged weapon's load time. Lower load times have less suitedness. They do higher DPS, but less damage per hit so the Player has options on what to use.

Faster hits, slightly higher DPS, does worse against armor, lower chance to stun, less lodge-depth.
Slower hits, slightly lower DPS, does better against armor, higher chance to stun, deeper lodge-depth.

Balance modifies the chance for a fumble/recover. This code may not be active/working yet, but will be soon.

FoI affects stun/knockdown/lodge depth.

Hope that helps clarify things! I struggled to come up with another stat for bows. Given how FoI isn't fully utilized it just didn't make sense at the time.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Stonebow wood affinity? 05/25/2016 03:34 PM CDT
>>Not as great as the Illaya Taipa stonebow, if you look at weight vs stats

Old crossbows have a fixed damage bonus. New crossbows have a variable damage bonus based on the crossbow's Suitedness. All new stonebows will outperform all old stonebows. Unfortunately, this isn't easy for players to understand. I fully expect players to continue using storebought stuff and doing 1/2 the damage until we get around to updating all the old bows :(

Many old crossbows have 0 Suitedness. So it wasn't like I had anything at all to work with in trying to tie damage to Suitedness like I did for the other ranged weapons :/

As for weight, I decided to increase the weight of all crossbows because previously it was completely illogical and all over the map.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Stonebow wood affinity? 05/25/2016 04:37 PM CDT
>>All new stonebows will outperform all old stonebows.

Does this mean that the damage penalty was only removed on crafted stonebows while store/fest stonebows still have it?
Engineering Society Additions for Tinkering 05/25/2016 05:37 PM CDT
Not sure if these have been requested before, but if it has already please disregard.

1. Can we possibly have ingots sold in the engineering society for use with mechanism crafting.
2. Can pliers be added to tools in the engineering society for purchase along with shovels for use with the gear press.
3. When you COUNT mechanisms it shows up "three parts, ect" when you COUNT lumber it shows up as "10 pieces", can this be streamlined possibly to utilize one convention or the other?

Thanks for the release, it has been fun messing around with the ins and outs.

-Derivan
Re: Stonebow wood affinity? 05/25/2016 08:46 PM CDT

A all wood crossbow with old style wood limbs is lighter then a bastard sword in the real world.Might be different if we were carving wood stocks and forging metal limbs to put on the bows.As far as having gears that's neat part to add to the crafting process but they were never needed on wood limb bows.So don't really see the reasoning for the big increase in crossbow weight and it will really hit hard on a young players burden.

Would have like to see limb and stock carving being separate pieces you assemble at the end, so as to make use of some of the exotic wood in the system for stocks that is of no value in the limb portion.

Just m2c but enjoying the system overall and thanks for your creation of it.
Re: Stonebow wood affinity? 05/25/2016 09:27 PM CDT
>A all wood crossbow with old style wood limbs is lighter then a bastard sword in the real world.

Your average sword was less than 4 pounds.

A crossbow (google says) is going to be around 10. That's a modern one. Wooden stock and metal bow (hint: metal is lighter and stronger, which produces the same power for a smaller and lighter package).

So...no. Not remotely accurate.

But then again, we don't have toddlers shooting fireballs in the real world, so that's a bad point.

>As far as having gears that's neat part to add to the crafting process but they were never needed on wood limb bows.

But they are in DR, partially because the crafting process needed more components, and partially because they are. You don't see gears on most crossbows in real life because the hand-pull of even a moderate bow is enough to blow through a heavy animal like a deer without stopping. There's no benefit to gearing or using compound styles because there's already too much power and you don't 'hold' the draw.

You should do some more reading on bows vs. crossbows. It's really interesting stuff.

>So don't really see the reasoning for the big increase in crossbow weight and it will really hit hard on a young players burden.

Crafted gear isn't really for novices. If the 250+ stone of a crafted crossbow is too massive, then that's a choice they should have to make. Either a light but crap store bought one, or a heavy but great crafted one.

Why, it's almost as thought we have that choice now! I can have a 10 stone dagger made up or a 60 stone cutlass.
Re: Stonebow wood affinity? 05/25/2016 11:18 PM CDT
Hmm.. well mechanisms are intentionally obfuscated so as to not cause "realism" issues. Wire, screws, nails, sheet metal, gears... yeah it is all "included" but that doesn't mean you make use of it all.

On a simple crossbow the metal component may consist of nothing more than a few rivets to strengthen the stock.

Or it may be a flap to secure the draw string and trigger assembly.

Or it might be a metal handle on the top to secure it in place with your foot while reloading, and to carry when walking.

On something like an arbalest it could be as complicated as a windlass built into the stock.

With our development resources and limitations of the coding language, it wasn't possible to give every variant of crossbow its own unique creation mechanics. Nor would we want to... the complexity would make maintaining it ridiculous and the syntax confusing to players. And to avoid having some crossbows be much more popular (due to the lack of metal) I decided to give them all some metal.

As for the weight... weapon selection in RPGs should include tradeoffs. If you want to use the hardest-hitting weapons you generally need the strength and stamina for doing so. Just sayin. You can always use rarer light woods too. Look for some to make an appearance at the next festival!

Re: Stonebow wood affinity? 05/25/2016 11:20 PM CDT

Well most of the weights on the all wood are about 6 lbs citing most accurate pages .Do a lot of reading and run a archery shop out of the basement with my hunting partner and have hunted for 25 + years .So I think I have a pretty good idea of what it's all about.Including competing from modern compounds to stick class where it's limited to a limb a knife a string including arrows that must have tied fletching.Shameless plug http://stickandstringsports.com/. I live this stuff not read about it:> Welcome to canadian living
Re: Stonebow wood affinity? 05/26/2016 02:29 AM CDT
@Semyon With the press set at 6 and using an average brass ingot my mechanism resulted in this:

You find yourself unable to determine the difficulty of this item.
You analyze every minute detail of the brass mechanisms and smile knowingly to yourself.
These appear to be a type of finished mechanism that are riddled with mistakes and practically worthless.
You find yourself unable to determine the difficulty of this item.
The mechanisms are riddled with mistakes and practically worthless.
It was made by someone with somewhat less skill than your own.
You find it impossible to identify who crafted this item.

When I first started carving and shaping the stonebow, it started out as masterful; assembled it with the above mechanisms it changed to outstanding; applying some stain changed it to exceptional.

@Ninevah1 The hickory sturdy stonebow has a 5/6 loadtime, and I currently don't have the sufficient crossbow skill to attain lower load times. It is good to know that "old" stonebows can get rt reductions.

The stonebow I currently use:

A carved cypress stonebow with a pale pink leather sling is a light crossbow type weapon.
A carved cypress stonebow with a pale pink leather sling trains the crossbow skill.

The cypress stonebow is well designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the stonebow is reasonably balanced and is reasonably suited for adding attack power from its draw strength.

You are certain that the cypress stonebow is appreciably susceptible to damage, and is in pristine condition.

It appears that the cypress stonebow can be slung over one shoulder.
You are certain that the cypress stonebow weighs about 50 stones.
You are certain that the cypress stonebow is worth exactly 30000 Lirums.

>>Not as great as the Illaya Taipa stonebow, if you look at weight vs stats ... + DR-Kodius post of useful tidbits

I'm currently attempting to backtrain shield to get it on-par with my evasion, as I was an old longbow primary weapon user and shield was "useless" back then. I figure why not attempt to backtrain other neglected weapon skills at the same time ie crossbow and sling. I know it is sad to say, but the 90ish stone difference will allow me to carry more weapons/armor to backtrain, hence more potential TDP gains (since the only way to get TDPs is just to train everything.)

I was a firm believer in low rt ranged weapons: forester bow, Elothean battle bow, Nisha short bow, forester's crossbow, etc as it fit my philosophy of speed and stealth. I was fortunate enough to be the recipient of a mistwood battle longbow (thanks Van!) and convinced that crafted items are leagues better. If I was crossbow skill prime or had the str/stam (80s or so? [need those sweet TDPs!]), I could justify a crafted stonebow that is 3x the weight of a (paid)festival stonebow.

>>Old crossbows have a fixed damage bonus. New crossbows have a variable damage bonus based on the crossbow's Suitedness.

So does this mean RIP slurbow and all those folks that quested for repeaters?

>>I fully expect players to continue using storebought stuff and doing 1/2 the damage until we get around to updating all the old bows :(

So are you, in a hyperbole sense, saying instead of sniping 50 shots to mind lock, it should take 25 new-crafted crossbow shots?

Thanks for the hard coding work to get this system running and providing us with development insight.
Re: Stonebow wood affinity? 05/26/2016 02:44 AM CDT
A duplicate post was removed.

Aneka
DragonRealms Board Monitor

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at MOD-Aneka@play.net, Senior Board Monitor Helje at DR-Helje@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Stonebow wood affinity? 05/26/2016 06:37 AM CDT
This is all well and good but nobody has even answered the question definitively yet. Kodius could you clue me in please? Thank you!
Re: Stonebow wood affinity? 05/26/2016 08:50 AM CDT
>Well most of the weights on the all wood are about 6 lbs

That's great. The 'all wood' crossbow is still 50% more heavy than your average bastard sword. So your initial point is still bad.
Re: Stonebow wood affinity? 05/26/2016 12:12 PM CDT
>>So does this mean RIP slurbow and all those folks that quested for repeaters

I don't think it'll work worse, just that there might be some better options out there now.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Stonebow wood affinity? 05/26/2016 01:39 PM CDT
>>So are you, in a hyperbole sense, saying instead of sniping 50 shots to mind lock, it should take 25 new-crafted crossbow shots?

Weapon experience is only partially factoring in damage done. So no, even if the bows did 100% more damage, you would not see things locking twice as quickly.

Re: Stonebow wood affinity? 05/26/2016 01:39 PM CDT
Stonebows use light crossbow affinity. Sorry for not including that somewhere in the text.

Re: Stonebow wood affinity? 05/26/2016 01:43 PM CDT
When I did the math on repeaters, they had a DPS spec much higher than any normal crossbow for however many shots they allowed. This did not change. New crossbows just caught up a little bit.

Why were Slurbows considered good? All crossbows (in each category) did the same damage in Combat 2.0. A crossbow could have godlike suitability and still do the same damage as one with no suitability. So I don't believe any individual bows were performing better except for perhaps looking nice.

Re: Stonebow wood affinity? 05/26/2016 01:44 PM CDT
If someone wants to make a comparison chart of old/new crossbows and weights I'd be happy to consider modifying them a bit.