Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 12:39 PM CDT
Hi all!!

Just curious but for a long time its been mentioned that tinkering would include instrument making, is still the plan or was that scrapped all together?

I know a lot of us Bards (and others out there) were REALLY, REALLY looking forward to being able to make our own instruments and eventually put a mark on them.
Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 03:39 PM CDT
>>I know a lot of us Bards (and others out there) were REALLY, REALLY looking forward to being able to make our own instruments and eventually put a mark on them.

Is is due to the complete rewrite of the performance system that monetizes the instrument economy?
Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 03:54 PM CDT
I had to leave Instrument making off due to the complexity of getting everything proposed/approved.

How do players envision taking raw ingots and turning them into completed metal instruments without the need of a forge? That is one thing I've been stuck on with regards to metal tinkering in general... the gear press was my attempt at hand-waving some of it. But it doesn't quite get us all the way there.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 04:07 PM CDT
>> How do players envision taking raw ingots and turning them into completed metal instruments without the need of a forge?

Most fine metalwork is not done with a full, proper forge IRL; at most, chunks of roughly-shaped raw metal are just slightly heated to make it malleable before being cut or hammered into shape. This is also a fantasy setting, so I feel like if you wanted to invent Elementally-powered devices intended for simplifying work like this you could do that and it wouldn't really be out of the ordinary considering our tech level.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 04:34 PM CDT
>>How do players envision taking raw ingots and turning them into completed metal instruments without the need of a forge? That is one thing I've been stuck on with regards to metal tinkering in general... the gear press was my attempt at hand-waving some of it. But it doesn't quite get us all the way there.

TBH, I could see there being different instruments in different crafts. For tinkering in particular, maybe the focus can be on the "fine detail" stuff that don't explicitly fall under other things, like instruments that involve strings or air being filled in a sack and expressed through whatever (bagpipes, duh), etc. I could see it trying to appropriate some of what is used in building out mechanisms, only with needing strings and/or covers made instead of gears (maybe with the same handwave that metals get for gears, only this time for fabrics?).

These are pretty much pulled from the instrument recall page, and I tried to pick things that were leaned heavily toward one particular part of the craft mattering most (arguably).

Blacksmithing: Bongos, Cornet, Chalumeaux, Cymbals, Fife, Flute, Horn, Piccolo, Spoons, Triangle, Whistle, Xylophone, Zills
Carving: Bones, Bongos, Damaru, Flute, Fife, Hichiriki, Horn, Ocarina, Piccolo, Syrinx, Whistle, Xylophone
Shaping: Bassoon, Bones, Bongos, Chalumeaux, Clarinet, Claves, Didjeridu, Fife, Flute, Frottoir, Guiro, Hautbois, Hichiriki, Horn, Mirliton, Mitbiq, Oboe, Piccolo, Pyi-pya, Serpent, Shawm, Spoons, Syrinx, Tapani, Txistu, Walking stick flute, Washboard, Xylophone
Tailoring: Bodhran, Darje, Ritual Drum, Shaman's Drum, Tabor, Temple Drum
Tinkering: Bagpipes, Banjo, Bass viol, Box fiddle, Cello, Cistre, Cittern, Cornemuse, Dulcimer, Elkabongador, Faenellica, Fiddle, Gittern, Guti'adar, Harp, Khurmary, Kithara, Lute, Lyre, Mandolin, Nehpar'i, Sackbut, Sarangi, Treble viol, Viola, Violin, Violincello,

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 04:46 PM CDT
>>TBH, I could see there being different instruments in different crafts.

This suggestion makes sense, but I'm not sure how I feel about it from a playability point of view. I think most people who want to make instruments would not be happy about having to learn multiple skills to do them all. That said, I could see it all being Engineering, but a few being Carving and others being Tinkering, maybe even some Shaping. That would not be too diverse to be annoying, I'd hope, since it's all the same skill.

- Navesi
Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 04:57 PM CDT
>>I think most people who want to make instruments would not be happy about having to learn multiple skills to do them all.

No more than someone wanting to make all armors would have to learn outfitting, forging, and carving.

Admittedly, while it would then require people who want to make all instruments invest in multiple crafts-types, it also allows instrument-makers to not have to do one particular craft to make all things, and instead let them pick up a few alongside the other options they might be considering.

Also, looking at the way most other craft techniques seem to work, and looking at the range of instruments out there, I could see smaller instrument sets being distributed throughout crafts as "basic instrument creation"/"advanced instrument creation". If they all fell in one bucket, I would expect it to be more like "basic wind"/"advanced wind" and so on. See how techniques look in weapon smithing compared to carving. This could arguably be an advantage or disadvantage, as well, depending on how many engineering and/or tinkering techniques you'd want to invest in just instrument creation.

In a "systems happening faster" sense, IMO I could see being able to link stuff like flutes and zills into blacksmithing right now with the way blacksmithing is currently handled. Same goes for carving and most of their instruments.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 06:40 PM CDT
Honestly.. I couldnt care less how 'real' it is.. i would take completely unreal if we could get more customization of stats.. but since we are limited by templates I am okay with whatever hand waving that there needs to be.

As it is.. i dont think the full ramifications of crossbows have been brought up. That is something that was talked about in the 90s and is now possible.. so thank you for that kodius.

I think any way you can make instruments working will make most people super happy.
Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 07:49 PM CDT
<<TBH, I could see there being different instruments in different crafts.

No thanks. One craft to tool them all.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 08:25 PM CDT
It makes more sense if you're crafting a wood instrument it would fall under engineering and a metal instrument would fall under forging.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 08:55 PM CDT
Engineering already includes multiple metal items.

More importantly, if instruments were a robust enough system like armor or weapons then sure, multiple crafts would be more appropriate. Instruments are a cosmetically different set of items used to train an almost completely useless skill. A single crafting discipline is much more appropriate for them.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 09:12 PM CDT
I agree if instruments had any real economy like armor does to have them under multiple crafting disciplines. However, if they remain as is (no difference in a super rare wood violin compared to a common wood violin in any real terms of abilities or demand) what is the point? Seems like waste of coding time that could be better spent making Bards a basically fleshed out guild. Those are just my two coppers.
Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 09:18 PM CDT
It seems suitable to just have a bunch of appropriate raw components(which maybe other crafts might manufacture) like brass plates, reeds, drumskins, and boards that you press with an instrument mold if you have to do anything. Maybe you heat the mold beforehand with a stove or whatever like you might do for tailoring iron.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 09:30 PM CDT
>>Engineering already includes multiple metal items.

I believe Kodius said that gear presses exist to prevent people from having to use multiple crafts to make one specific item, which I think is different than allowing items to be crafted under various systems (ie: a forged flute vs a wood flute).

>>Seems like waste of coding time that could be better spent making Bards a basically fleshed out guild. Those are just my two coppers.

Two points to make.

1) Kodius might not have any involvement in general fleshing out of the Bard guild, so if he's the one adding instruments, it's not an "either/or" situation.
2) It's not like forging zills vs forging a cup would explicitly have any unique messaging to it, so it's not necessarily a matter of "now GMs have to write instrument forging," either.

Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 09:42 PM CDT
<<I believe Kodius said that gear presses exist

I wasn't talking about gear presses. I was talking about the association being made that forging = metal and engineering = not metal.

<<Two points to make.

Your points are over thinking things. This is a clear cut case. Instruments are not complex enough to require more than and should
not be more than a single discipline. Period.

Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 10:11 PM CDT
>>I wasn't talking about gear presses. I was talking about the association being made that forging = metal and engineering = not metal.

Eh, guess I disagree.

>>Your points are over thinking things. This is a clear cut case. Instruments are not complex enough to require more than and should not be more than a single discipline. Period.

I'm not overthinking it at all. There are enough types of instruments that they don't all have to fall under one specific sub-discipline. To me, a "complex" system would be requiring multiple disciplines to make one instrument, not requiring multiple disciplines to make all instruments.

Similar to how there are bone, stone, and metal weapons, and similar to how there is cloth, leather, bone, and metal armors, there could be some instruments that are metal, some that are bone, some that are leather, some that are wood, and some that are "other", which is where tinkering comes into play.

Once again, this means that you don't have to be focused on tinkering and only tinkering in order to make good stuff. If a Bard wants to be a forger (or a blacksmith in particular), that Bard could still make some instruments. If a Bard wants to be an outfitter (or a tailor in particular), they could still make some instruments.

Does this mean that if a Bard who wants to make every weapon has to train more than one discipline? Sure. But that's no different than a weaponsmith or armorsmith having to train more than just forging to do everything, or how someone who wants to make all the accessories (for whatever reason) having to train multiple crafts, as well. But, it also means a Bard wouldn't have to be pigeonholed into one craft type to participate in instrument creation.

Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 10:54 PM CDT
The difference is that those weapons and armours are all functionally very different.

There is no difference from one instrument to the next except for variation in teaching range which has nothing whatsoever to do with material composition. There's a reason the four separate music skills were combined into a single skill. This is an extension of that same reasoning.

Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 10:59 PM CDT
If I use a stone spear or a metal spear the same single skill is used to throw them and functionally they are the same thing but one craft doesn't make both spears.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 11:01 PM CDT
But there are multiple products that will train all 14 weapon skills split across the various skills that make weapons.

Instruments train a single useless skill.

I can't believe I'm arguing this. It's a no-brainer.

Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 11:10 PM CDT
> There is no difference from one instrument to the next except for variation in teaching range which has nothing whatsoever to do with material composition. There's a reason the four separate music skills were combined into a single skill. This is an extension of that same reasoning.

You know Carving, Shaping and Blacksmithing can each make a cup, right?
Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 11:16 PM CDT
>>There is no difference from one instrument to the next except for variation in teaching range which has nothing whatsoever to do with material composition. There's a reason the four separate music skills were combined into a single skill. This is an extension of that same reasoning.

Eh, I see it as an apples and oranges situation.

I obviously have a bias toward making crafting instruments accessible beyond just one particular craft skill subset, similar to things like weapons, armor, jewelry, furniture and so on, because I disagree with the idea of having making things be all-or-nothing when applicable.

So I don't view making some instruments craftable across multiple channels (and some being channel-specific) is a bad thing when it comes to letting players create instruments, because it means players could blacksmith or tailor or carve or tinker or shape to craft something that is an instrument. Understandably, the opposite side of that is that it means players have to blacksmith and tailor and carve and tinker and shape to craft everything that is an instrument.

My preference is getting everyone access to something, vs some getting access to everything.

I also see the possible advantage of having to only invest a few techs in multiple craft sets/subsets to create some instruments vs having to invest many techs in one particular craft set/subset, because it means that if you want to craft all instruments, you might just have to invest two or three in a few subcrafts vs investing 8+ (I can easily see at least having a basic/advanced tech for each instrument class) in one particular subcraft, because it comes off as a much heavier investment in just that one craft.

Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 11:40 PM CDT
<<You know Carving, Shaping and Blacksmithing can each make a cup, right?

Cups are pure fluff.

<<I also see the possible advantage of having to only invest a few techs in multiple craft sets/subsets to create some instruments vs having to invest many techs in one particular craft set/subset, because it means that if you want to craft all instruments, you might just have to invest two or three in a few subcrafts vs investing 8+ (I can easily see at least having a basic/advanced tech for each instrument class) in one particular subcraft, because it comes off as a much heavier investment in just that one craft.

Instrument techs will be something like simple instrument making and complex instrument making and will likely be branched off of mechanism crafting, possibly linking into toy crafting somehow. This vision you have of "many" instrument techniques is not going to happen.

Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 11:46 PM CDT
>>Cups are pure fluff.

Instruments aren't?

>>Instrument techs will be something like simple instrument making and complex instrument making and will likely be branched off of mechanism crafting, possibly linking into toy crafting somehow. This vision you have of "many" instrument techniques is not going to happen.

Eh, my view is that there are so many iterations of instruments, and potential sub-iterations (types of flutes, types of bones, types of harps, etc) that they would warrant their own techniques since there would be dozens to choose from.

If instruments amount to "T1: flutes and bones, T2: a harp, T3: a banjo and lute," sure, two techs would be fine. I think it would be neat if there were more to it than that. I'd love to see short zills and stout zills and thin zills and wide zills and etc.

Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/23/2016 11:59 PM CDT
>> Instruments aren't?

Instruments train a skill which at least one guild has as a hard requirement.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/24/2016 12:04 AM CDT
<<Eh, my view is that there are so many iterations of instruments, and potential sub-iterations (types of flutes, types of bones, types of harps, etc) that they would warrant their own techniques since there would be dozens to choose from.

And I again point to the fact that instruments are not complex enough in actual function to support this.

I'm done, since you're clearly in "what if" mode.

Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/24/2016 12:25 AM CDT
>>Instruments train a skill which at least one guild has as a hard requirement.

Absolutely understand that, but given that all the different types merged into one skill now, a lot of the "stuff" about them is essentially window dressing. IE: a whiskey jug and a stamping stick don't function differently, mechanics-wise. They're both easy instruments that train performing. If one was created with carving, and the other with shaping, not much is lost.

>>And I again point to the fact that instruments are not complex enough in actual function to support this.

It's not a matter of function, it's a matter of "it would be neat if they could be made under multiple disciplines, similar to weapons, armors, jewelry, furniture, etc." Plus, the general range/variety of instruments shouldn't be the only thing that makes them easier/harder to craft. I'd love to see different "types" of zills, bones, flutes, harps, etc, and I think the range/variety that I'd love to see created wouldn't warrant just two or three techniques in one specific craft tree's branch.

Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/24/2016 01:42 AM CDT
Here's the issue I see with instruments coming out of multiple skills: It destroys the niche of "Instrument maker".

Right now, there are several commodities people really want: armor, weapons, bows, instruments, etc. There's a reason they've been split into different skills. This way the different prestige/financial niches get split up. If three crafting skills can make instruments, then you can go to three times more crafters to get one. There's no need for a crafter to specialize to become "the" instrument person.

If there were a really strong, meaningful difference between different instruments, maybe they could be split (like bows vs. metal weaponry). But as it is, you really just need an instrument that fits into your difficulty level, and there are precious few different difficulties, most of which last you until 500+ ranks.

I would actually be in favor of more complexity for instruments, maybe give them more meaningful stats like weapons that interact with the new busking system (or any other system the GMs come up with!). However, even then, I could see maybe splitting into two crafting skills at most.

- Navesi
Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/24/2016 09:30 AM CDT
>>Instruments train a single useless skill.

>>I can't believe I'm arguing this. It's a no-brainer.

This.
Re: Engineering/Tinkering & Instruments 05/24/2016 02:14 PM CDT

if you added zills to forging that would meet the instrument needs of a vast majority of the population.

tinkering rules , the toys are really excellent

-Munch-