New Crossbows 05/22/2016 06:44 PM CDT
Just looking for a general understanding of how strongly the woods effect the outcome of the crossbows. I'm not well versed in the new engineering as a whole so metal is about all I understand. I have a light maple battle crossbow and the appraisal is pretty terrible. 5/6 second loadtime for me though. This is the appraisal of the new crossbow and the appraisal of my storebought stonebow for comparison.

A light maple battle crossbow is a light crossbow type weapon.
A light maple battle crossbow trains the crossbow skill.

The battle crossbow is well designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the crossbow is dismally (2/14) balanced and is dismally (2/14) suited for adding attack power from its draw strength.

You are certain that the battle crossbow is extremely weak (1/18) and easily damaged, and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

It appears that the battle crossbow can be slung over one shoulder.
You are certain that the battle crossbow weighs exactly 110 stones.
You are certain that the battle crossbow is worth exactly 3075 Dokoras.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

A simply carved maple stonebow with a bright blue leather sling is a light crossbow type weapon.
A simply carved maple stonebow with a bright blue leather sling trains the crossbow skill.

The maple stonebow is reasonably (7/14) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the stonebow is decently (6/14) balanced and is decently (6/14) suited for adding attack power from its draw strength.

You are certain that the maple stonebow is appreciably susceptible to damage (7/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

It appears that the maple stonebow can be slung over one shoulder.
You are certain that the maple stonebow weighs exactly 50 stones.
You are certain that the maple stonebow is worth exactly 13530 Dokoras.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.
R>

From what I can see the stonebow is lighter and has a shorter loadtime. Hits like a truck because of the ammo. I haven't tested the crossbow yet, but im not entirely sure about the overall value of crated just yet.
Re: New Crossbows 05/22/2016 06:48 PM CDT
>>This ranged weapon's composite score is 21.1% of the profile's base.

The maple crossbow you made was only Tier 1. You'll need to use some better wood.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: New Crossbows 05/22/2016 06:51 PM CDT
It looks like the quality of your battle crossbow is pretty low, or it's just due to the fact that maple is a horrible wood to make light crossbows from. Maple is better suited to make heavy crossbows. Analyze the crossbow to see it's quality.

You want to use apple, bamboo, birch, or cedar to make light crossbows. Light crossbows and stonebows use composite bow affinity, heavy uses longbow affinity, and arbalests use shortbow affinity.