If locks (padlocks, door locks, or just locks) where able to be made... 05/06/2016 08:12 PM CDT
So if locks could be made, how would you think the progression would be in material for making better locks, perhaps what types of locks might be around, and what types of difficulties.

This isn't necessarily a GM question, I'm interested in thoughts on Locks.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
"Phelim, what have I wrought?"
GM NaOHHI
---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Vic
Re: If locks (padlocks, door locks, or just locks) where able to be made... 05/06/2016 09:02 PM CDT
Presumably it would follow a fairly standard metal progression based on either the hardness or the ductility of the metals.

Either one is a bit of a stretch since we are picking locks rather than breaking them, but it makes no sense to introduce yet another metal variable.
Re: If locks (padlocks, door locks, or just locks) where able to be made... 05/06/2016 10:14 PM CDT
Eh, those make enough sense, considering how one usually goes about picking a lock. Resistance to torsion or deformation of the tumbler (ductility) vs being able to actually hear when you've caught a pin etc etc.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs