Cleaning cloths and item adjectives 04/26/2020 07:28 PM CDT
Can we get another verb with the cleaning cloths that lets us also cycle the adjectives on crafted goods? Like rub would still change just the look but keep adj + noun the same, but something like pull would change adjective based on what enhancements have been done.

Some examples:
a steel sabre
a balanced sabre
a tempered sabre

Or if dyed:
an alabaster haversack
an alabaster bag

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh
Re: Cleaning cloths and item adjectives 04/26/2020 11:24 PM CDT
Please! There are options for combinations we don't have access to. Usually, those are the ones I want.
Re: Cleaning cloths and item adjectives 05/01/2020 04:18 PM CDT
+100!

- - -
~Dreamheart Delaevan Forestwolf
Re: Cleaning cloths and item adjectives 05/02/2020 09:12 AM CDT
This would be so helpful. Please make this change!

~Hunter Hanryu
>I would like to avoid the collection of broken dreams and sorrow that is the Ranger guild.~Agalea
Re: Cleaning cloths and item adjectives 07/06/2020 12:26 PM CDT
I am here to post in support of this. Please end the nightmare we live in and add this support.

---
Inauri
Re: Cleaning cloths and item adjectives 07/06/2020 01:27 PM CDT
Just adding..

---
R> [eng]: tie my jagged wood shaper to my toolb
Tie what?
> [eng]: untie my carving knife
You fumble with the ties, quickly realizing that you need a free hand.
> tie my wood shaper to toolb
Tie what?
> tie my jagged shaper to toolb

You attach a steel jagged wood shaper with a tempered finish to a strap on your shaper's toolbelt.
---

This is not good.

---
Inauri
Re: Cleaning cloths and item adjectives 07/06/2020 01:46 PM CDT
wood shaper is a compound noun so wood isn't one of the item's adjectives. It would be nice to choose between steel and jagged as the adjective though like suggested above.
Re: Cleaning cloths and item adjectives 07/07/2020 01:56 PM CDT
>>wood shaper is a compound noun so wood isn't one of the item's adjectives

All current non-crafted wood shapers in game has the adjective "wood." During an assist, I was told that this crafted shaper has an adjective of "jagged wood" meaning that it cannot be interacted with with its full adjective because of the parser. That, in my opinion makes it a bad item creation.

Single word adjectives of the single word in front of the noun have been the basis of item creation because it allows users to quickly identify and interact with items. Diverting from this randomly (ok fine it's not random, it's all crafted shapers and who knows what other crafted items) is problematic.

I was told during the assist that the item is "working as intended" and that my only recourse is gaining an alteration with a GMPC or using NINE MONTHS of LTB points to correct a single word.

Also, compound nouns are one word without spaces. :p ie: cowboy, seafood, airport, notebook, sunrise..
---
Inauri
Re: Cleaning cloths and item adjectives 07/07/2020 02:51 PM CDT
A compound noun can be without a space, with a hyphen, or with a space. Wood shaper in this case is a compound noun because wood is not an adjective that describes the shaper since the shaper is metal.

The game doesn't allow for nouns with spaces so wood gets shoved into the adjective.
Re: Cleaning cloths and item adjectives 07/07/2020 02:55 PM CDT
>>wood is not an adjective

Okay, wrong, but how about you stop derailing the thread? Thanks in advance.

---
Inauri
Re: Cleaning cloths and item adjectives 07/07/2020 03:02 PM CDT
Sure, wood can be an adjective but it's not in this case. It's a metal wood shaper, or put in other ways, a metal wood-shaper or a metal shaper that shapes wood.

Hyphenating or contracting the compound noun would be a fix for this which is probably easier to do than adding stuff to cloth mechanics. I'd prefer the hyphenated version, but either works.

E.g. A straight woodsaw and or straight bonesaw, or a straight wood-saw and a straight bone-saw.
Re: Cleaning cloths and item adjectives 07/07/2020 03:08 PM CDT
Or just make it like sewing and knitting needles where the adjectives for each tier are different. E.g. smooth knitting needles are 'smooth needles' and plain sewing needles are 'plain needles' so there's no conflict.
Re: Cleaning cloths and item adjectives 07/07/2020 03:13 PM CDT
>>Sure, wood can be an adjective but it's not in this case.

No, it's "a,jagged wood,shaper" according to staff. You're over here blathering on about grammar and while your points are finally mostly accurate, not a lick of it matters for this particular item or for the thread's suggestion overall. Again, please. Back to the topic. Go measure yourself somewhere else.

Giving cleaning cloths the ability to modify that adjective would go far in getting rid of items that cannot be interacted with the current parser and existing gaming expectation of utilizing the word that immediately precedes the item's noun.

---
Inauri
Re: Cleaning cloths and item adjectives 07/07/2020 07:13 PM CDT
That's a lot of anger over commenting that Dragonrealms doesn't handle compound nouns well and mildly correcting your definition of a compound noun.

Anyway, I'll let my suggestion stand as an 'in the meantime' alternative to a cleaning cloth upgrade because it would likely be much easier to implement and the only crafted items that are meaningfully impacted by this are the saws. The only other crafted items with two variants at the same tier are the needles and they already have different functional adjectives.

As for the players being able to modify the functional adjective themselves, I can also totally see an Artistry technique being something that would be able to do this instead of adding it to cleaning cloths.
Re: Adjectives With Two Words 07/08/2020 08:51 AM CDT
>>SPICYDIAPSID: All current non-crafted wood shapers in game has the adjective "wood." During an assist, I was told that this crafted shaper has an adjective of "jagged wood" meaning that it cannot be interacted with with its full adjective because of the parser. That, in my opinion makes it a bad item creation.

>>Single word adjectives of the single word in front of the noun have been the basis of item creation because it allows users to quickly identify and interact with items. Diverting from this randomly (ok fine it's not random, it's all crafted shapers and who knows what other crafted items) is problematic.

Without commenting on the original suggestion of being able to use cleaning cloths to change the adjective on crafting items, I wanted to elaborate on the use of two-word adjectives (e.g., "a,jagged wood,shaper").

As you have observed, the parser only recognizes a single word as the functional adjective in commands to interact with items. So if an item is "a,jagged wood,shaper," you can interact with it as JAGGED SHAPER or just SHAPER, but the parser will not recognize JAGGED WOOD SHAPER or WOOD SHAPER (because the functional adjective is the first word in the adjective slot).

Those familiar with the 15/15/15 rule of alterations (15 characters for the article, 15 characters for the adjective, and 15 characters for the noun) may recall that nouns, the third component of a "base" item name, cannot have spaces. This isn't merely a stylistic preference to make items more intuitive to interact with. It's a hard rule, because putting spaces in nouns can break things.

The same is not true of adjectives; spaces in adjectives do not break items; it's just that the "functional adjective" ends at the space. You are right that as a practical matter, most adjectives consist of only one word, because that makes the command syntax more intuitive for players to identify and use.

However, sometimes there are compelling reasons to include a second word in the adjective slot. In the case of crafted wood shapers, it is because there are three types of wood shaper: wood shaper, beveled wood shaper, and jagged wood shaper. If the adjective were just "wood" for all three shapers, you would have no way of choosing a specific wood shaper except with ordinal numbers, which change as you interact with items in your inventory. Placing "jagged" in the adjective slot (rather than in the article slot) makes it possible for you to reliably interact with your jagged wood shaper when you have multiple wood shapers.

Similar use of two-word adjectives occurs with other crafting tools that have multiple variations (e.g., straight/curved/slender/tapered/serrated wood saws).

In the same vein, shops may have multiple variations of the same item on a single surface. For example, if a merchant were selling five silk dresses with an adjective of just "silk," it would be easy for players to inadvertently buy the wrong dress. (The only ways to buy a specific dress would be to use ordinal numbers or a clickable shop interface.)

Lastly, some materials require two words when used in the adjective slot to fully identify the material and to differentiate it from other variations. For example, a crimson lava samite satchel with a sungold clasp would need to be "a crimson,lava samite,satchel" and not "a crimson lava,samite,satchel." Otherwise, when you interacted with the satchel, everyone would see a mere "samite satchel" in messaging that used the short name of the item.

With alterations, we will try to accommodate base name preferences ("article,adjective,noun") if the player tells us about them, although we must still follow the standards for material names. (Nouns can only be changed under certain circumstances at the discretion of the merchant.)

I hope this explanation clarifies things about how adjectives are used in item names.

GM Cordulia
Re: Adjectives With Two Words 07/08/2020 01:57 PM CDT
Suggestion:

Change all crafted "wood saws" to "woodsaws".

Leave bone saws as they are so we don't have parser issues with bones.

~Engineering Legend Ascot Ryuzzaki, Tinkerer of Elanthia
Re: Adjectives With Two Words 07/09/2020 09:49 PM CDT
>Suggestion:

>Change all crafted "wood saws" to "woodsaws".

>Leave bone saws as they are so we don't have parser issues with bones.

Yes, please! Having bone and wood saws use the same functional adjectives and nouns has been incredibly frustrating. I get that this might not be feasible, but I second any suggestion that would allow for differentiation of the two.

Engineering Legend Broichan Leshyahen, et al

>For some reason you just can't stop thinking about glarmencouplers.
Re: Adjectives With Two Words 07/10/2020 10:38 AM CDT
>Change all crafted "wood saws" to "woodsaws".
>Leave bone saws as they are so we don't have parser issues with bones.
>>Yes, please! Having bone and wood saws use the same functional adjectives and nouns has been incredibly frustrating. I get that this might not be feasible, but I second any suggestion that would allow for differentiation of the two.

Please.

~Hunter Hanryu
>I would like to avoid the collection of broken dreams and sorrow that is the Ranger guild.~Agalea
Re: Adjectives With Two Words 07/10/2020 10:58 AM CDT
I too support this idea. Even if it's not retroactively applied to existing saws.